My 328 has trunk lights? WOW, Hi tech! | FerrariChat

My 328 has trunk lights? WOW, Hi tech!

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, May 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I just discovered today that my 328 has a pair of trunk lights, one on each side. Only took me 6 years to discover that. Now…if I could just figure out how they turn on! :)

I looked all through the owner's manual and couldn't find any mention of them. I'm not saying it isn't in there somewhere but I couldn't find them in the section about lights or the section about the trunk. There doesn't appear to be a switch that is activated by opening the bonnet.

So…how do you turn them on? Don't tell me it's got anything to do with the headlight stalk; I haven't figured that thing out in the last 6 years either! :)

No, I can't think of any reason I would actually use them but I would like to have them working and know how to illuminate them.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you mean the rear trunk, are you sure those aren't the number (license) plate lights? (I.e., are they on the underside rear edge of the engine bonnet?)

3. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Those are the license plate lights.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No there are trunk lights. Every 328 had them. They use the parking lights to illuminate the trunk.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'll be darned! Yep, parking lights illuminate the two trunk lights. Thanks RD!

As RD noted, these are TRUNK (or bonnet, or luggage compartment - whatever you choose to call it) lights. They are not the license plate lights. I had never noticed the little clear plastic lenses on the portion of the trunk liner that fits against the back side of the taillights. I have had the driver side liner out in the past, when I switched the microplex from the US to the Euro timing setting, but I didn't notice the little lens or, if I did, I dismissed it as some unknown Italian thing. :)

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'll be darned! Yep, parking lights illuminate the two trunk lights. Thanks RD!

As RD noted, these are TRUNK (or bonnet, or luggage compartment - whatever you choose to call it) lights. They are not the license plate lights. I had never noticed the little clear plastic lenses on the portion of the trunk liner that fits against the back side of the taillights. I have had the driver side liner out in the past, when I switched the microplex from the US to the Euro timing setting, but I didn't notice the little lens or, if I did, I dismissed it as some unknown Italian thing.

In the future, if I ever buy another 328 I'll be sure to check to see if those lights are working and, if not, I'll reject the car based on the obviously poor maintenance! :)

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I still suspect that even with those lights you'll feel like Ray Charles groping around in the trunk at night.

9. 328Stuts

328Stuts Karting

Aug 17, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just turn on the headlights....they should come on :)

10. BDCVG

BDCVG Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Cincyish
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Now if I could just find a replacement for the magnified map light bulb in My GTB the lighting would be awesome.

11. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    yip. mine comes on with the parking lights..

12. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I remember wondering about those a while ago and looked at the wiring diagram to see where they were fed from. Fairly useless in fact, they would not be lit at any time when you actually needed them!

13. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    andy, its for night time driving, when you park off the road, needing something from the trunk, no torch needed, :)

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, you got the portable light that plug under the dashboard for that; wait, if it is in the tool kit or in the jack kit, you have to find it in the dark before...

Rgds

15. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    yes the test light, very rare...

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    LOL!

In addition to not being able to figure out the light stalk in 6 years, I have also never figured out that trouble light in the sense of "who thought this was a good idea?" I suppose one could argue that your flashlight batteries might be dead so the trouble light would always have car-battery power. I guess you would use it to replace an alternator, AC, or water pump belt with one from the tool kit some dark night on the side of the road.

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Nowhere.
    They don't come on with the parking lights. They *are* the running lights.
    They just added a couple of lenses that let the running lights shine through into the rear storage area.

Notice that, in cars that have the rear lights swapped, those lenses would be illuminated from the back-up lights. :p

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #18 mike996, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014

That is not the configuration on my '89 US 328. The "trunk lights" are a specific/separate bulb/socket on the back side of each taillight assembly for the sole purpose of lighting the trunk.

Added a few minutes later: I just found the specific wiring/listing in the US '89 328 wiring diagram shown as "luggage compartment Illumination" and specifying 5W bulbs for that purpose and showing that they illuminate, as RD said, with the parking lights.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same here on my two '89 euro cars, Mike; 80515, the GTS; and 81085, the GTB, have these lights, just like your car: two small plastic lenses inside the trunk, with their specific bulbs, in the middle of the carpeting, on the rear bulkhead, facing the inside of the trunk to "illuminate" it.
    Perhaps our cars, being '89, are the "Lusso" version of the 328? ("Lusso" meaning: "luxury").
    Well, if Rifledriver says all 328 have these, that is the definitive word for me.
    Rgds

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Neo - yep, just like mine. Also…concur with your comments re RifleDriver. And I totally agree with his observation re actual light supplied. Those "Luggage compartment illumination " lights constitute a serious stretch of the word, "illumination." :)