My Giulia Qv... loving it so far | FerrariChat

My Giulia Qv... loving it so far

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Monch, Jul 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    I’ve now had my Giulia Quadrifoglio for 6 weeks and a little over 1,000 miles. There have been many reviews, mostly good and some bad, and thought that I would provide my early impressions of the car. Now, keep in mind that I’m by no means a pro… driver, writer or otherwise. Also note that this is my first Alfa and don’t consider myself an Alfa “fanboy”. I’m just an enthusiast whose had a few nice sports cars and am looking for the ultimate daily driver.

It was with a rather large amount of anxiety and trepidation that I purchased this car. We’re all aware of the less than stellar reliability history of Alfas, especially being a brand new model and all the niggles that come with that. Being used to the early adopter issues with my Mclaren and intoxicated by the beauty of the car, I pulled the trigger. It was an emotional decision that I haven’t regretted yet.

The Giulia QV is an amazing car. The steering is subline. Very direct, responsive and communicative. I do wish the steering wheel was a hair thicker, but that’s nitpicking. The car feels very well planted and flat in the turns. It inspires great confidence and no drama when pushed. The suspension is firm yet compliant in the soft settings. Dialing in the dynamic or race mode stiffens it significantly. Soft setting is not available in Race mode, so one can either have a great sounding exhaust OR soft suspension. It would be nice to have separate suspension, exhaust and traction control settings. My ideal setting would be Dynamic mode with soft suspension and open exhaust. I am considering a remote exhaust valve controller to address this issue.

The engine is also exceptional. Very smooth revving with steady power delivery. It goes without saying that acceleration is brisk with over 500 Hp. I do find the gears to be a little short and the redline at 7,000 rpm a little low. It is quite easy to hit the limiter if not paying close attention. I hate to admit that I’ve done that more than once.

I know this may come as a shock to some of you but, the car feels very solid and well-made. My car doesn’t have a single jiggle, vibration or rubbing noise in the cabin. Even when going over bumps or rough pavement, it remains silent. I’m very impressed with the build quality so far. The interior is very well laid-out and practical. The combination of leather, alcantara and carbon fiber look great. I love the integration of the screen into the dash. As others have noted, there are a few subpar materials in the cabin and the Nav/entertainment system could be better, but they are not reasons to buy or not buy this car. After all, this is a driver’s car, not a cushy luxury cruiser. I realize that it’s in the “luxury sedan” bracket, but it really is a four door sports car.

The brakes, I’m afraid, are my biggest issue with the car. I have the standard brakes that work very well in stopping the car at speed. My problem is with the low speed and “coming to a stop” modulation. The “brake by wire” system feels more like an On/Off switch, rather than a progressive controller. I’m still working on getting it right, yet keep coming to jerky stops. I’ve come close to hitting the car in-front of me a couple of times in stop and go traffic. I’m not sure why Alfa decided to go with this rather than the typical hydraulic system. I would think twice about buying this car if you have a long, stop and go commute. It takes a good deal of concentration to stop smoothly.

Alfa Romeo have really done a great job with this car. It is excellent and a great daily driver. There are minimal quirks and niggles that don’t detract from my overall enjoyment of the car. I haven’t had a single issue so far and hope that my short term experience with reliability continues. I do, however, find myself driving a little anxiously waiting for something to fall off or for some warning light to come on, but nothing yet. AR have a real winner with the Giulia. Now will see if they can get their dealers and reliability up to snuff.

I’m off to drive…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer and NEP like this.
  2. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I share your comments about the sensitivity at the top end of the rev range, once it gets to 6.5k it just slaps off the rev limiter.

Also, the brake by wire at low speeds is challenging to get accustom to.

Turn signal is a disaster of a design.

Otherwise, it's a blast and the power is very liquid and immediate, handling is amazing and the styling is pure italian. The car gets a ton of thumbs up.

Overall, a fantastic effort by Alfa - I love this car.

3. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    good looking car

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Great review on a great looking car, thanks!

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for your input.

I saw another couple this weekend and think they look great.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that car is hot in the red tri coat...hot as hell!!!!

7. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've had my Ti (no QV) for over 2 months with over 3000mi and no problems at all, solid as a rock. I love the drive-by-wire brake system, it works great and I drive 50 mile round trips a couple times a week and ALL of it is in rush hour stop and go traffic, and although a smooth stop is not easy it took me a couple of days to get adjusted to it and now no problem. Just get used to how it stops and forget about getting it to stop like a hydraulic system. Also the turn signals work just fine not sure what problems people are having.

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Turn signal and cancellation of was always a talking point on Alfa GT's and 159's. I never really had an issue with it either.

It's good to see a "I'm enjoying my trouble free Giulia" because no matter what marque you own has problems but when an Alfa does "It serves you right" gets rather annoying.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    I think the turn signal problem is more accessibility, since they're behind the large shift paddles. There's been some reviews that complain about that. They seem fine for me, though. I gave no problem operating them.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Anyone who has driven a 458 and drives the Giulia will instantly know the same people designed the steering wheel and the steering system.

It's best feature is the steering interface with the car.

The Ti I drove also seemed like the brakes were "funny" -- not bad but somehow different. But that's coming from a 4c which is like having a rock solid "racing brake-like" pedal.

And, the QF having a California T engine minus 2 cylinders ain't bad either. :)

BMW can no longer call themselves "the ultimate driving machine" without fear of being sued by Alfa. :)

11. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    very nice car! I would love to pick one up after they are out for a year or two. Havent seen many on the road yet

12. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    2,000 mile update... car is still great! No issues. Brings a smile to my face every day.
    Alfa called me out of the blue last month and scheduled my car for "updates". I took the car into the dealer and had it back in 5 days. All was well.
    I really love this car!

13. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Um ... glad you love it but what exactly did they update that took 5 days???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    Agreed. It is a long time. They did multiple software updates that apparently take a long time... or so they say. I'm just happy to have it back!!

15. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    See that’s the kind of thing that scares people away. One thing if it is not a daily driver, but for this kind of car which is supposed to be exactly that, its hard for people to swallow. So aside from the blistering performance that we hear so much about, how is she as a daily driver trundling along in heavy traffic? How is the stereo and nav? Heat and A/C? People have commented on the fit and finish compared to Audi and MB ... any quality issues? QV a bit much for me but the Ti sport is high on my list ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    5 days for an update is odd.
    I was behind a chap yesterday in a Veloce. 280HP 4-pot but it sounds lovely. He is totally enjoying his car and I'm once again a bit tempted.
    It is new and he was having fun with it but was getting 15mpg. That is an imperial gallon which is 4.5litres.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A 40 minute (drum) brake job took me over three hours ... the first time I did one.
    (With only a Chilton's manual for instruction.)

I suspect US Alfa dealerships are still climbing a steep learning curve, given how long Alfa was missing from the US.
    (And Alfa shops being separated from those who know Californias.)

On any car with loads of turbo boost on tap, fuel economy is set by the right foot. ;)

18. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    So far my QV has been perfect, no issues.
    The Giulia is first and foremost a driver's car. The luxury sedan thing is second. Don't get me wrong, the interior is very nicely designed and the materials are better than you would expect. There are definitely more luxurious cars out there, but none funner to drive.
    If your commute consists of sitting in heavy traffic for prolonged periods of time, the Giulia may not be for you. Not because of the Sat Nav, radio or interior, but because of the brakes. They are very tricky to modulate at slows speeds and stop and go traffic. You may be better off with a cushy Camry or Lexus.
    If you mostly drive side streets and secondary roads like me, there is no better car out there. This really is a sports car dressed up as a four door sedan. The steering is sublime, acceleration sublime and exhaust note addicting.
    Go see and drive one, then decide. Don't listen to what other people say or don't say. You will be impressed.

NEP likes this.
  19. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    good looking car good luck with her

20. ferraripete

I am a week into my ownership . the car is simply fabulous. I have only driven it in race mode. the sound, shifting and road manners are exceptional. I don't know if I will ever really care to drive my other cars? I was ready to buy an aston vantage gt 6 speed before getting this but the QF fell in my lap. I think knowing what I know now, the GT would have been a disappointment compared to this 4 door sedan. sounds odd I know.

I have a question to the group. have you put paint protection film on the car? ceramic coating? I am worried about the maintaining of the volcano black paint. thoughts?

NEP likes this.
  21. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    I did clear bra for front, hood, fenders and side rocker panels.

22. ferraripete

just picked my car up from the ppf installer. did the front fascia, headlights, hood, front fenders, active splitter, mirrors, a pillars, full rockers.

I can now enjoy the car a bit more. looking to do the windscreen as well.

I used suntek.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  23. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    am very happy with the Suntek...my installer recommended it..and he offers Xpel as well...

24. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Well said!

25. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Giulia ti Q4- 7,000 miles of perfection.

NEP likes this.