NBA Finals 2017 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NBA Finals 2017

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 95spiderman, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    I re-read your post and saw it could be interpreted that way, was later in the night/tired when I wrote that initial post. I can see dominant - I can think of a only a small handful comparable in that regard.

His teams don't get enough credit though with how stacked they were, no one can really do it alone and Jordan dropping 60 was proof of that.

I'm a little confused by the not top10 comments only because if he's the all time small forward do you not have Larry in top10? I've never seen a list without Larry in top10.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I don't like to rank players 1-10 because positions are too different. I rather list an all time nba starting team.

to me that is magic and mj in back court, kareem center, LeBron and either Duncan or hakeem up front. bird has to come off the bench

3. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    I can respect that. I personally think besides Jordan at no1 there's around 12-13 other players comparable legacy and skill wise that could be 'top10'.

Small forwards the gap widens after bird and bron. Where as center there's so many all time greats it's almost obscene. Lebron and Magic for your ballhandlers/distributors with those other players..... Jeez that would be incredible to see those guys together.

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    it might be time for carlos to hang up the star spangled banner....

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Despite his dominance so far, ive seen durant look bad lots of times especially vs spurs. They force him to put up off balance, long range 2 pointers. Cavs need to research how they did it. And fast too because brons body language looked completely defeated. Was an entertaining game despite final blowout score though. So much skill on the court

btw, thought santana sounded great

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My apologies, that is what I meant. Thanks for correcting me.

7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What about the Jazz with Malone, Stockton, and Hornacek? You don't think that was a stacked team that Jordan faced?

8. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    That one on one play with Curry crossing over Lebron several times and taking Lebron to the basket with a layup really shows you how much different a player that Steph is in this years finals as compared to last year.-his ankles are healthy in the Finals this year and he can really get around you instead of just being forced to take a long 3 on you when he was unable to move like he does now.

9. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    He's 6'2 going against a 6'8 dude who at this point is gassed and still nearly blocks it lol. Also curry is always good in the 'decided' games - curry generally struggles (like durant) when there is a lot to lose and it's close. The only way I thought the cavs had a chance in this series was to put curry and durant next to Lebron and Kyrie in a close game and watch them choke on the big stage as usual. they won't even get that chance though it seems. Stupid fouls and Kyrie is looking like Kobe Bryant in taking poor shot selection except he can't even play defense. currys game besides the free throws was actually pretty average I believe. He had the trip double but it was awful efficiency.

Also acemaster Jazz are better then any team bar the Spurs or warriors lebrons faced, but not comparable to the Spurs teams or warriors.

10. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Well. The main point of my post was to say that Curry's health in this year's finals appears to be better than last year when he had some injuries that really affected his mobility. It's fine if you believe that Curry is a choker and had a mediocre performance (despite a triple double, and some timely shots). It's fine that you believe the Curry play was nothing less than stellar because the "gassed" 6'8" guy "almost"blocked the shot. If it makes you feel better...

11. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    I respect curry as a pure shooter and thats about it; i dont like him as a person nor do i think hes an unanimous mvp caliber player. Hell likely be the greatest shooter ever all said and done though for sure. Van gundy said this in last years finals after gs was down 3-1 okc. People were saying 'oh currys hurt' but then when he drops 40 or something hes suddenly healthy. Then when he has a bad game in the finals hes injured. good game hes healthy. its just something told to justify his game7 performance. it makes you feel better.
    Curry always shines in games in the bag.

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Kyrie and curry are a near toss up. Both have same skill sets. Great dribble, can hit step back 3 from 30', finish at rim, etc. Also turnovers and no defense.

agree completely about curry and durant doing their best work when in the lead. They're great at piling on. A rod did same with yanks. Yanks up 3-1 early and a rod will hit a grand slam and 3 run jack. Yanks down early and different story

13. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    I think curry is better (again as a cavs fan) because Kyries mentality is his greatest strength and greatest weakness. Kyrie can be clutch like Kobe or he can buster out like Kobe. the only problem is Kobe actually impacts the game on the other side. Offensively it's likely a toss up - Kyrie is way better at the rim and dribble wise but curry is typically more consistent of a shooter. Honestly think Kyrie should've spent a whole season with Krzyzewski (sinces he's never had a real coach in the pros) to help with his sometimes appallingly bad habits (and low basketball iq play).

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What I didn't like yesterday, was that when they were up by 20 with about 5 minutes left, instead of draining the clock they went up the floor and Curry put up a deep 3 (I mean deep, almost closer to half court line than the 3-point line) with 21 seconds on the shot clock. It looked like GS was the team losing and trying to come back. What was the hurry to get that shot off? Were they afraid the Cavs were gonna come back? Were they padding their stats?

They did it again the very next possession (may not have been a 3, but they went up the court and put up a shot with over 20 seconds left).

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i noticed that too. i think its just currys way. he loves the long bombs and best time to put them up is when game is already decided. i dont like that mentality and i think it goes with the many brain farts he seems to have. remember last yrs behind the back pass turnover? one of the worst mental mistakes ive ever seen in nba. as bad as 'bird steals the ball' from isiah thomas

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    He had a strained MCL last year (suffered in the first round). He was limited.

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Also, I don't think Curry has forgotten all of the "chatter" from Lebron last year whenever he blocked his shots. That move seemed like a little 'try to get this when I'm good' showmanship

18. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    exactly.

19. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    again, this.

20. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    Looking at his numbers again leads me to believe it actually was even more choke then I intially thought. One could argue he was getitng 'healthier' as the series progressed. His worst games before 7 were 1-3. He was progressively getting better up until g7. also lebrons blocks aren't even that monumental on curry - of course he's going to block some of his shots when he takes them in his face - in this case his height is a serious disadvantage.

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I recall laughing loud, and hard, late in game 7 last year when GS was throwing up prayer 3-pointers and none were remotely close to going in.

22. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    2015: Iguadala puts a defensive clamp on Lebron makes some big shots and timely freethrows on the Kyrie-less Cavs to win the MVP and lead the Warriors to the championship.
    2016: Lebron and Kyrie lead the Cavs back from a 1-3 deficit over the team with the best regular season of all time(72-9) that are notably "gassed in chasing history, with the help of ejection of Draymond Green in game 5, a 75% injury limited Curry, and Losing Bogut to injury in game 6. Lebron makes the "block of the century" on a back-strained Iguadala laying the ball up softy, then Kyrie makes the "shot of the century" over Curry.
    2017: warriors retool with signing of Durant replacing the poor finals shooting Harrison Barnes, and lets go defensive stalwart, often injured, and expensive Bogut. Cavs retool by signing the defensive stalwart, often injured, and expensive Bogut. Bogut breaks his leg after playing less than 1 minute of real time ball. Cavs cruise to 2nd seed in East, not stressing-knowing it is a marathon. Warriors cruise to 1st seed in West, even resting their starters in a potentially top seed showdown with the Spurs-now knowing it is a marathon and not a sprint. Both teams go into playoffs well rested with only one loss between them in pre-finals playoffs. Once again, Warriors are up 2-0 on big blowouts where it is hard to see how the Cavs can come back...do the Cavs have an answer this time?

23. BluHorse

BluHorse Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    I think the cavs need to be playing on all cylinders to have the chance. They always do something lackluster these first two games (generally multiple). They forced turnovers but missed the easy threes they have been hitting all season (40% 3pt and the game could be interesting). Then some of the dumbest bailout fouls to get probably the two best free throw shooters in the series on the charity stripe. If they get it together they'll be competitive but so far they are showing little to no signs. If I'm Lue I put in frye to start and someone that can make a shot over Jr. Thompson can't even do his only purpose in this series when it's even easier this season. mine as well get a guy that can score and stretch the floor more.
    If you win the home games none of these blowouts matter and it's just a bo3 for the chip. I like lebrons chances in a game7 from a history standpoint.
    Realistically though we haven't shown the signs yet and time is almost out. The second best player is love for the cavs and he should be the 3rd.

24. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jim Rome said that Cavs best won't beat GS best.

But, that means the best has to show up each night for it to happen.

25. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    This is true. What has been lost under the marvelous offensive play of Durant, Curry, Lebron, and Love, has been the disrupting D that Klay Thompson has been playing on Kyrie Irving. Kyrie being stymied right now, is a major reason why the Cavs have not had a chance to pull out a victory yet. I would expect Kyrie's game to improve over the next few games, but sometimes Klay, Draymond, and the Warriors do not get enough mention for their stellar defense play, because flashy offense usually makes more headlines.