New England Patriots become first NFL team to have own planes | FerrariChat

New England Patriots become first NFL team to have own planes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Cool. It's ammunition for the other owners: " You guys start winning 5 super bowls in the

same time the Patriots did, I will buy you guys a 767 wide-body....two of them!

They deserve them! Way to go Kraft. and I'm a Cowboy fan! ( not dillusional though...they

just suck for the past 21yrs)

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Saw that. Plane looks nice.

Now, be fair, Cowboys have not sucked for the entire 21 years, just most of them! This year, however, is our year!
    T

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Paul Allen used to use one of his 757s for the Seahawks during football season, and the Blazers during basketball season. The football season is so short that it doesn't really make sense to own an airplane just for that.

Paul ended up getting rid of both 757s, because in the end charter was more cost effective for the sports teams (or so I heard).

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #5 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, sorry, It's DeShaun's year! Texans all the way, just watch. Going to see him tomarrow in Charlotte! First preseason game of his career. I had a friend make this poster from the actual car that raced in the Challenge series this past year. I told him he was going to have to ad another national championship banner, this was in Decmeber at the Ferrari Finali Mondiali.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    From what I've read, the young man has been lighting it up in training camp. Will be interested to see how he does...T

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I didn't know you were a Texans fan Juan. It's definitely going to be a much more interesting season than last year. Lol

8. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Apparently they are going to lease the jet to other teams on the weeks they are not using it. Smart. But overall that is not that many weeks of use. 4 weeks preseason, 17 regular season, 4 weeks playoffs??

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's half the year.

I bet in the offseason you can charter it out to groups that want to ride in the Patriots plane :)

NASCAR teams have been doing this for years in regional jet sized planes to get team personnel to tracks on race day. Roush has a 727/737 and a few others have Embraers, etc.

sell extra seats to smaller teams, race officials, journalists etc and it makes some sense. not to mention being able to do things commercial can't do (like flying from Charlotte to Bristol TN or Martinsville VA at 6:30 Sunday morning and return 8pm Sunday night).

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The issue with football and basketball teams is the interior arrangement. A regular airline arrangement does not work. Generally require much larger seat pitch and width, which is what the Patriots planes are being outfitted with. So for an off-season tourist style charter it would be like all first class, which would not be your typical charter $ wise.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Baseball teams began doing this in the late '50s. After moving to L.A. the Dodgers had a DC-7 which was later replaced by a Lockheed Electra. It was the availability of increasingly reliable and fast air travel that allowed MLB teams to move to the west coast in the first place. (Before 1958, the farthest west any team was was in Kansas City.)

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

More interesting than Brock-mania? Surely you jest!
    T

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Close, St Louis. KC was essentially a farm team for the Yankees. They joined MLB in 1969.

To this day, Cards are still very popular outside their immediate geographical location for this reason. That and KMOX had great range!
    T

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a Patriots-branded all first class charter plane for your corporate event or destination wedding from BOS-Florida/Bahamas would be able to charge a premium ;)

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Again, this is nothing new. I don't know why it got any sort of attention, except that they must have an excellent PR person.

Paul Allen was doing this years ago with his 757s. He would use them for the Seahawks and the Blazers, and that got a fair amount of use. Eventually, though, he decided that it wasn't cost effective and got rid of them.

In this case, I've heard that the owner plans to use the airplanes for all of his sports teams, which makes a reasonable amount of sense... although, see the Paul Allen example above, so maybe in the end it doesn't pencil out.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Why would they use it for home games????

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'll guarantee you my daughter(s) will not be chartering ANY airplane for a destination wedding.;)

edit: unless that Powerball ticket ($350M) I bought yesterday wins.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Cuz it's all about arriving in style!
    T

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That started out as plausible excitement, then turned into a comedy of errors and "aww shucks moments";), and then became the feeling of being embarrassed for the guy because that he could actually still speak with confidence lol.

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If there's a party thrown by Gronk at 50K feet, I'd sign up for that lol.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

It'd be like the Gronk Party Bus with wigs! I can't see the FAA allowing that.
    T

23. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    That is when they would lease it out. I am saying total use for the NFL would be the full season.

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You forget the Kansas City Athletics, who spent some years there on their way from Philadelphia to Oakland.....

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wayne Huizenga has/had a 737 with the Dolphins logo on the tail. He used to own half the team, but now down to 5%. It's a BBJ so not really made to carry an entire team...pretty cool.

I remember the 2006 Bears taking a United 747 from Chicago to Miami for the Superbowl against the Colts. It seemed overkill to take that...