New Ford GT | Page 32 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    LOL

as I understand it, 250 cars/year is Multimatic's production capacity for tubs so that will be the constraint; but with the racing program extended through 2019 I assume cars will be built trough then (so around 1000 cars total)

2. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Correct. 1000 cars were slated for production already by management at a rate of 250/yr. It is 4 years to complete the full run. Most expect the second round of 500 cars to open up for application within 12-18 months from now.

If you think Ford won't do all the other versions/editions of the GT after the 1,000 run like Ferrari/Mclaren/Porsche/etc all do then Ford has far more self restraint than all of those mfg's. Personally I don't think they do. My money says we'll see some other spinoff version(s) so they can increase the quantity. Also technically they have not promised buyers a finite build number of these cars so they could potentially ramp well beyond 1,000 without breaking any hard promises.

3. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    The Shmee comparison isn't completely fair for that guy. It's a shame he didn't get an allocation but he's also fighting for a US allocation, not UK as Shmee is. I suspect the pool of applicants in the UK is much much smaller.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I guess he had the best "YouTube" video?

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well they already announced the "heritage" paint schemes will be available ;)

I think the demand for the second 500 (2018+, when the car is no longer the hot new thing) will determine roadster/special editions etc.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Shmee getting one was a slap in the face for a lot of guys.

He never owned a Ford car until a Focus recently (We know why he got it..) and he never keeps the car more than a year or 2. But yeah that car will be on a lot of youtube videos.

Kind of slapping your older gen customer there. The ones who were there buying original Mustangs, Shelbys etc..

7. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Oh man, there are some real kicks-in-the-nuts stories on fordgtforum. How about the guy that gave 150 employees a $1,000 **out of his own pocket** to go buy Ford products in 2008/09 during their f-ing meltdown and overall economic crisis? There was a lot more to his 'bona fides' as well.

Besides, Ford has the "kiddie camp" covered with this Captain Sparklez guy who has millions of Subs. He generates a ****-ton of Minecraft videos on YT.

Exactly.

Yes, great comparison.

Drag Times guy makes sense to me. Owns a GT. Clearly doesn't make a living off of YouTube. Will be high visibility. Admittedly, I'm not sure who Andy Frisella is.

I totally get why Superspeeders (Rob Ferreti) didn't get one. I mean, he's the antichrist of "Brand Ambassador" for Ford. Sells videos of him being a public safety nuisance, evading police, etc. No way in hell that Ford wants to reward/endorse that behavior.

Good point. If I'm not mistaken, all FGT come in LHD only. I can't imagine there was huge demand in the UK. It probably worked in his favor. The amount of corp/marketing ball-sucking he does on a regular basis didn't hurt either.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I guess Shmee will do car reviews of every Ford Focus for the next 20 years

9. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    This is pretty much what everyone expected.

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    define "afford" ;)

but he's bought a 675 LT and LT Spider in the last year, so I think he'll figure this one out.

and I think Andrew is correct, since he doesn't keep cars very long I'm sure he'll do OK if he sells it before the production run is over.

12. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    FWIW, I got an allocation. "Joe Freakin' Nobody" from Fort Worth TX with 46k miles on my 05 GT. I love any car who's creator had an F name...Ford, Ferruccio, Ferrari, Ferdinand....

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    congrats!

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Awesome. Congrats. Hope to see it around the Metroplex...T

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Bought over a 200 Focuses and close to 25 Econolines in the past 10 years but never owned any performance Ford so didn't have any high hopes.
    I was right.....
    Besides, switched to Elantras last year so that couldn't help.

16. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    LOL, my eleven year-old daughter watches him all the time, so I'm guess I'm guilty of indirectly funding his purchase! :(

17. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzXJkVxKcc[/ame]

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Anybody know why Ford has limited annual production so drastically (~250 cars/year)? This guarantees disappointed existing owners and loyal customers. The previous generation Ford GT cranked out about 2,000 cars per year during the production run. Even the venerable Porsche Carrera GT was produced at a rate of about 400 cars per year.

19. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The long pole in the tent is the manufacturer of the tub. Apparently it is super labor intensive and they don't have the scale to do more than 250/year. Seems like a weak-sauce answer to me but there you have it.

20. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    That's all that Multimatic can produce.

Joe

21. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Lots of reasons for the production run size for tbe car. But not once was it ever discussed to limit the volume to keep price up. Never heard that from anyone at Ford - ever.
    And as I was the dang chief designer of that car I think I might have heard something like that.

22. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Ford dropped the ball with the Focus RS launch, and have made a ton of people mad with this GT......

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I believe that the car will be a big disappointment...just saying. Of course this is my guess..who knows..we will see but i believe that Ford should have to handle it more correctly and with respect to the real collectors. Ford should give priority to the people who has a real interest for the car.

24. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Define a "real collector" or "a real interest for the car".

25. vyprgt2

vyprgt2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    John

I'll give my 2cents while we wait for nurscud-

real collector with real interest in the car:

People like usmcfred with " '56 T-Bird, '72 Pantera Pre-L, '66 ERA Cobra 427 S/C replica and '06 Ford GT" or myself with a '74 Pantera, awesome '70 Boss 302, '70 Mangusta (Ford engine from the factory), and a '05 Ford GT, of which I am the original owner. Owners of cars like Boss 429s, original Ford GT40s, etc.
    To me, these are cars that are icons of Ford history and their owners demonstate true Ford loyalty sourcing, owning, and caretaking these cars. Owners taking these cars to shows provide great PR for Ford.

As has been mentioned on the Ford GT Forum, maybe all applicants who are original owners of their Ford GTs should get at least a wait list letter for the hoped-for next batch of cars.