New Ford GT | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex

Nice :) it's so well proportioned front to rear, top to bottom, very pleasing to the eyes. Aerodynamically it's amazing. Must have one day.

2. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Maybe he's tweeting... ;)

3. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No one is going to say anything about the rear view mirrors?
    J

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    AIN'T SO, I MEANT. I think they looked at an Alfa 4C a little too much going by the side view. I like the back as far as retro
    but Honda will have two years of sales with the new NSX before a new Ford GT could hit showrooms so that might blunt the GT40 as far as American-made mid-engine market (the NSX will be made in USA). Time for GM to rattle the mid-engine Corvette saber again...to make this a three way race.

And I bet Chrysler wishes they hadn't shelved that mid-engine car they wowed the crowd with at the Monterey Historics (Oops, Roles Invitational..) The front-engine Viper is dying on the vine..

5. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    This car hits showrooms next year.

6. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Unfortunately, this is not the case. The new GT, like the last one, is a true limited production exotic, and will be priced in a different stratosphere than the mass produced Vette.

7. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    50 ish HP is not enough to make up for the lack of V8 noises, and the old car remains unique. It's amazing how far the bogey has moved in a decade, but I think the "old" GT (gotta get used to saying that, lol) will continue to appreciate. The new car is going to come in at a much higher price point.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This won't hurt old values IMHO. So limited production and totally different car.

I also think this thing obliterates the new NSX design - which I think is very boring. Guess we'll have to see what the price difference is...they are saying 150k for NSX.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  10. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looks like the Ford engineers looked at a Koenigsegg, an Aventador and a LaFerrari and walla, here's or Ford GT.

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, honestly i have mixed feelings. The front part of the car really reminds the FORD GT40 and the GT BUT that rear part is very disturbing...... WTF they were thinking at FORD?

And of course what the hell happened to the V8??

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its a deruvative design of lots of otehr bits, almost like the took some ferraris a mvalren an aventador a lotus put them in a blender and then made a pastiche design. It may be funbctional, its got wow factor its not clever or arigional. But then its surely is an exotoic suoercar car like the others, not a mass produced car like most porches ferraris(458) Maclaren etc.

This is a car that more Laferrari P1 than 458 650s at elast in desin drama.

As to power, well less see what it weighs. Power to weight more important than power, and look what even a heavy GTR does with 650hp.

As to old Gt values. Part of the value is derived from it being A)the one and only ford exotic, that may no longer be the case. But it is also B) a classicaly beautiful car(this is still the case) C) Its analogue(look at the values of anlogue porche GT3s) and D) inexpensive to maintain.

Much of ford Gt values are drived from B-D I dont see this changing too much. True the gotta have the cool car crowd may abandon the GT and soften values somewhat short term because there is a new kid on the block, but the new car is really a different kettle of fish.

Lastly while I understand the racing application of a TTV6 no one loves them in F1 and the reason is sound and for a street car power dynamics. I suppose a DCT can work around power dynamics. The Jag Xj220 may have been an objectively "better" car for having a TTv6 but was way less desireable for not having a 12.These cars are for street and De people as much about emotion, tradition and feel as raw stats. Mclaren made the mistake of going for raw stats on the Mp12, ferrari turbo v8s wont compare on emotion or tradition to NA ones, and Ford would do well to put its flat plane V8 in street Gt as well as in the raptor. Part of old Gt values and desreabilibity is its character, a V8 makes character in spades.

As to the NSX, do we really need another heavy hybrid sportscar that can do one fast lap, to me this is more an I8 type of car. But I do hear that there will be a honda version sans the hybrid part for less $$$ and a lot less weight, could be interesting. As to styling, its a blocky looking thing, but maybe in the flesh its small and inetresting. An I8 in the flesh is stunning to look at.

13. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Love this. So aggressive!!

Only negative is the engine. Where's the V8??

14. Symoon

Symoon Karting

Jul 2, 2010
    under an umbrella
    Of course it doesn't look like the original GT40 but i'm seeing MKIII references in this design, large front headlights, long tail.

The price, regarding the name and exclusivity will be higher than similar cars in terms of power. We'll have to compare with the Mclaren 650S for example. For sure 100K higher at least.

Apparently it is going to Le Mans in 2016.

But, Ford has developed a more reasonable supercar than the LF or P1 and has decided to put it into production which is something that jaguar failed/refused to do with the CX-75 and for that reason alone, that is great thing IMHO.

If i had the chance to gain enough money to consider to pre order and buy one, i wouldn't hesitate for a very long time.

i wonder what Jeremy Clarkson will do this time :)

15. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    "If i had the chance to gain enough money to consider to pre order and buy one, i wouldn't hesitate for a very long time."
    Ford Dealers are clueless about the GT. I contacted two Dealers a couple of weeks ago and they didn't know what a GT was much less a 2016 GT.

Joe

16. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Exactly.... as great looking as this car is, it's still a Ford, sold/serviced by a Ford dealer, with a Ford badge on the hood. That's just so... Ford.

:eek:

17. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    And that comment is so...base model Porsche.

18. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Touche! ;)

19. Mj_1963217

Mj_1963217 Karting

Mar 4, 2013
    Don't know what's bad about being a Ford. The heritage of ford racing is a wonderful thing to celebrate. Unlike Laferrari, this car is going to race. To be more exact, I was more excited about the unveil of this car than any other Ferrari product.

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    As to the NSX, do we really need another heavy hybrid sportscar that can do one fast lap, to me this is more an I8 type of car. But I do hear that there will be a honda version sans the hybrid part for less $$$ and a lot less weight, could be interesting. As to styling, its a blocky looking thing, but maybe in the flesh its small and inetresting. An I8 in the flesh is stunning to look at.[/QUOTE]

im really liking the new nsx (and I had no love for the old one). same concept as the hypercar p1, laf, 918 all for almost 10% of their price? I say bravo Honda.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I wonder if the new Gt is a 200k car or a 300k car. For 200k wouldnt you rather have one of these than a turbo 911, but for 300k well then there are mclarens and ferraris to considder.

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    In my mind the 6 cylinder engine makes the car less desirable and it should make the car less expensive. People would bay more for a 8, 10 or even a 12 cylinder.

But I will drive one first then decide. Maybe the torque is high so the car feels fast. This is why the base C7 Corvette with only 460hp feels quick.

Lee

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    you may be right. 50 hp is enough you can feel the extra power. That combined with the stunning looks may make a difference. Not sure on the weight of the car. That can make a big difference in performance.

No doubt the 2005-6 FGT will always be a special car.

My concern is no manual if that turns out to be true. You make a good point on the V6 sound versus the V8 or more. Maybe the engineers will do something to make it sound better.

Best

Lee

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own an Adventador and the FGT at some angles look very close.

Good catch :)

Lee

25. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    When will the dealers know the msrp? What kind of premiums will they command over msrp? I called a dealer and the salesperson hadn't a clue about it. They called me back and said they would take a $10k deposit from me to get the first one they get. At $175k I'm all in, at $200k I'll consider it, but at $300k I'm buying an Italian.