Next California? | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    It will be VERY interesting to see what actually comes out. 560 HP V8 with twin turbos does not make sense since Ferrari can already get that kind of power out of the engine without turbo's (458 engine).

Rick

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Choose your battles wisely, this is an ended and finished discussion. Why would Ferrari tell outright BS to clients about the engine at the private presentations? The NA V8 is a 4.5 liter unit. The new V8 is a 3.8 liter. Hence less weight (probably) and increased efficiency (definitively).

3. OlivierT

OlivierT Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I don't think it's a question of whether Ferrari can get the same power out of a naturally aspirated engine, I believe that it has more to do with meeting CAFE standards in 2016 and beyond. Interesting article from a few years ago:

http://www.triplepundit.com/2010/05/should-ferrari-have-to-build-hybrids/

Fixing Ferrari emissions won't fix the planet, but you can sure bet we as owners will pay a disproportionate penalty for the privilege.

Personally I think we are living the final years of NA 8, 10, 12 cylinder engines. I bet we'll see more hybrid turbo-electric as we approach 2020 (maclaren P1, Porsche 918). I think picking up any final year NA Ferrari will be a superb investment as the pinnacle of naturally aspirated internal combustion engines comes to an end.

All electric? Yuk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Ferrari boss claims that they will not resign from V12 engines

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We are in a period I think similar to the 1970's where fuel costs and pollution will legislative pressure on all makes of cars, even those with very small sales.

Today we have some amazing engines that are even more powerful than those days of 8 MPG with nothing more than an engine crankcase re-breather for pollution control yet are extremely clean and extremely powerful -- and more reliable.

I don't see why adaption can't continue. I don't see it as all negative.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #606 TheMayor, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

He also said he would never build this when the 458 came out. The fact is, he may not have a choice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You're old enough to remember all the dire projections that were considered received truth in the seventies.
    We survived and thrived. We will again.

8. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I can accept turbo, my only worries are about sound.

there is nothing better than sound of V12
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPk3oRdUV4]Ferrari 599 SA Aperta - Harry Metcalfe's evo video diary - YouTube[/ame]

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Ouch :eek:, an ended and finished discussion? No battle here, turbo's too often sound like vacuum cleaners ... listen to any modern Porsche turbo, Woooossssshhhhhhh, about as soul stirring as a 300 lb meter maid.

I will leave it to the post just above, if it ain't a V12 then it ain't worth driving with the radio off. :) THAT is why my California has only 16,000 miles or so.

Rick

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

But we had to live through the Mustang II's and Chevy Vega and AMC Gremlin and Geo Metro to get back.

If you think of these cars and others that were created from the ashes of the muscle car era, those dire projections where quite true.

11. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    this is not good sound for Ferrari
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DsoJ3HN8IE]Maserati Quattroporte GTS V8 Biturbo Revving & Accelerating! - 1080p HD - YouTube[/ame]

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #612 TheMayor, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You do remember. Dark days indeed but we survived them along with shoulder pads, fern bars and backgammon.
    It would be a shame to have gone through all that and not gained perspective.
    The horse's demise was predicted a century ago and those beasts are still with us.

Happy New Year.

14. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I'm happy about the direction of the new California. As long as it's fun to drive and has character I couldn't care less if it was V12, V8, turbo or not. But hey, that's just me. Even a pretty modest V6 can sound good these days, just check out the F-type and the new Maserati's.

If turbos don't light your fire, go get a used Ferrari. There are plenty to choose from. I'm sure Ferrari will more than fill up allocations for the new car.

15. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    +1

16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Please, you must be the only person who won't now believe it. Even Autocar have now gone definitive.

Ferrari California replacement spotted - new pictures | Autocar

17. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    I'm very curious. Is it nicer than the current California?

I find the current California the least attractive of the current Ferrari's. It also lacks some kind of character in my opinion. Hope Ferrari's second attempt will turn out better. Love all the other current Ferrari's though, they are at the top of the game at the moment.

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes. Read the thread if you are very curious.

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    MM , It is not likely the engine will weigh less as the turbos are heavy ... It could be made more compact not so much because of displacement but because with the turbo they probably will not need the very tall ram air induction tubes that are used on most Ferraris for example the 458...

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Rick come on what kind of a statement is that ... Ferrari V8s also sound fantastic.. case in point listen to the 430 Scud next time you see one...awesome sound...
    Regarding porsche twin turbos ... IMHO porsches all sound bad with or without the turbo...
    I know that twin turbos can sound good but the sound engineers will have to tune the exhaust note to sound good..

21. scuderia92

May 23, 2013
    And I'm really sure they will do that at Ferrari :).

22. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Don't be so lazy if you're curious. Read the thread instead of asking redudant questions.

23. scuderia92

May 23, 2013
    I did :) I meant curious for the reveal of the car. Sorry that I was unclear.

24. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Reading all the news articles about the new car. It's funny they all claim they have an "inside source". Funny thing however, their details cover only those that have been aired in this thread, nothing less, nothing more. Things such as "the car will have headlights resembling the 458, with the grille borrowed from the F12. The rear end will be lower than the current car". "The engine will be a Maserati-derived TT V8."

Hey you, the next journo taking information from this thread: grow some decency and cite FerrariChat as your source.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    AKA like Jalopnik, but I wouldn't call them journalists.

Hi boys!