No 458 Parts Inventory - Is This Normal? | FerrariChat

No 458 Parts Inventory - Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F458Spider, Aug 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    My 2015 458 Spider sprung a leak that has been diagnosed as a blown seal on the left front shock (apparently unusual). At first I was told a shock is coming from Italy and would be a week to 10 days. Strange that they don't keep inventory of shocks in the US, but ok. Then a couple days later Italy notifies the service department that they are also authorizing them to order the actuator for the lift system, which piggybacks the shock itself. The actuator is currently listed as “unavailable” both in the U.S. and at the factory.

So Ferrari keeps minimal to no inventory of parts for one of their most popular models ever. I pay huge dollars for a new car (which I appreciate includes warranty and service) but then when a part is needed, it's not available and I'm without a car during the driving season.

Is this normal? I purchased the car new from the dealer. I have no problem waiting a week or two, but I'm worried this is going to drag out a long time. If we are buying a $300k+ cars, shouldn't we get the equivalent in service and inventory stock? They can't have at least one of each part in the US?

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Welcome to Earth.

Your experience is not a rare occurrence.

3. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Bummer, thx. Same with Lambo and McLaren?

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to the Ferrari mystique.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    These are boutique car companies. Don't expect too much.

The lift systems on Lambos have been problematic since they were introduced. I think the Ferrari is similar. The shocks are being asked to do something they really weren't designed for. You can reduce the chance of a leak by making sure it's in the down position when parked. Also avoid hitting speed bumps too fast when it's up.

6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    It seems to be a modern trait with other manufacturers. A friend needed a new door for his 2016 FType. None in the US. None at the factory. It took four months to locate one in Europe. Jaguar NA ended up compensating him for lack of use.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My understanding is its worse for McLaren. Almost all Mac parts have to come from the UK as they have no warehousing in the US. Often parts are back ordered.

These are not like Chevys or Fords or Toyotas. Most people who own a Ferrari have 4 other cars. So, being down a few weeks isn't a big deal for most.

Try that in a family car and people will scream bloody murder. I used to own an auto repair shop that for a short period of time, worked on Honda's. Honda people think that if you drop the car off needing a new engine in the morning, they expect it back cleaned and pressed by 5 PM the same day. :)

8. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    it is a limited production vehicle compared to anything else out there -- Try getting a California top pump ... Took about 2 months

9. j9fd3s

j9fd3s Rookie

Apr 12, 2006
    If it makes anyone feel any better in the bad old days we used to have a 6 month wait for sheet metal, from Ford.