Not 1 but 2 BARN FIND Countaches rescued!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Not 1 but 2 BARN FIND Countaches rescued!!

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by geno berns, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Joe,

Mr. Rusie had two Periscopas. A yellow one and a red one that Wallace build into an S twin turbo that's being restored now. Than the 2 I purchased.

Geno

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Geno, at the risk of insulting anyone by classifying them publicly as my 2nd or 3rd choice, I'll suggest that Ive given up publicly recommending anyone in the USA for restoration work, and the reason is not because I wish to remain impartial! I am sure you'll have no trouble drawing up a list of USA contenders, but besides suggesting the ex-factory people in Italy, I'll let it rest there. By the way, the main reason I think that the LP400S could benefit from involvement by the original artisans is because of the extent to which it was modified.

As regards the Monaco GP, I'm pretty confident that the last Countach used was an early LP500S, but, its always nice to learn something new.

3. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I agree the cars should be returned to factory spec, as we have worked diligently to do with 004.

However its fascinating - to me at least - how these cars were treated back in the day and it will always be a part of their legacy.

4. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Geno, congrats!

And you are right, there are still barn finds out there!

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Can you share any pics of 004? It has been quite a few years since the restoration began and it would be great to see it coming back to life. I bet it will be stunning when your are done.

The late 70s/early 80s era during which these cars suffered what can only be described as automotive vandalism (and yes, Bob would be the first to admit to regretting that he accepted to do some of these modifications - he told me so himself). It was a dark period IMO, one which quite frankly many prefer to forget! A British magazine's description: "the thing has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever" would have been appropriate for some of these hacked-up and generally abused cars. Not only where these mods in poor taste, but the bottom line is that they didn't work! A turbocharged Countach engine is, as others have described, a hand-grenade waiting to go off. I understand the desire of man to tinker & modify. But mods can be a bad thing, a very very bad thing.

We can only be grateful to folks like you for rescuing these cars we love and restoring them to their former glory. I applaud people who restore a good car. I stand up and salute those who rescue & restore an abused one.

6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Joe-

What I meant is, if your first choice of getting the work done in Italy was not an option, what would be your choice here in the US? I did not mean for your to rate any particular shops against each other, just who do you think is capable to do the work right? If you prefer not to comment I understand...

Geno

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, I understood, e-mail sent.

8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    i stop by to say hi to bobileff a couple of weeks ago. there was a stunning brown LP400 being restored back to its (near original) color.

i know who i would bring my car too if i had the cash...

9. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for the encouragement. I need to revive the restoration thread but most of the progress isn't visually exciting...lots of block sanding for example. We've also had some stops and starts as other projects take priority or questions need to be answered.

Being able to see 010 in the flesh was a great motivator, and quite helpful on a number of small details.

10. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Was it the ex-Affolter car?

11. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

12. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Don't know... It was sent to Gary's place from the east coast... New York I think.

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Glad to see the white car finally sold.

14. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Mama mia! Congrats & please update us on the progress.

15. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    With the number of Countachs flooding the market surely the prices are soon to collapse.

:p

16. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
  17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Being somewhat uninformed regarding the market,can somone please tell me where this Flood of Countaches can be found.Like to add a second car to my sick and twisted Lambo fetish, dont want to miss a chance of a lifetime.
    Thanks

18. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    No, it is not the ex. Affolter #1120096, as mentioned in another thread that car is #1120298.

19. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    You are joking I take it?

20. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Even I, the eternal bear, do not believe it any more. My thoughts are over in the value thread and I'm not going to hijack Gene's awesome thread.

Let me know where they go Gene!!

21. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    I was, thus the :p

22. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification. Would you have a picture of it?

23. grngryoutmyway

grngryoutmyway Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Congrats Geno, these cars were quite a stir when they popped up a few years back. Many folks were trying to get to them, and glad you finally did and they will be saved.

24. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Geno, send both cars to Gary Bobileff and let him bring them back to new condition

25. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #50 geno berns, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aside from the typical mouse hotel in the glove box these tucked away Countaches are in alright shape. There are some wacky custom features the cars received, especially the 1978 low body as you can see in the pics with Anniversario body accents. The QV DD has a Koenig flair/skirt and Anniversario wheels with an extra set of it's original wheels with red colored hole inserts. The bonus? The custom air brushed Lamborghini logo on top of the wing! Question to Joe. I've seen this before, how many DD cars received a US rear bumper? Done in the US or factory installed?

Geno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login