NOVITEC UPGRADE | FerrariChat

NOVITEC UPGRADE

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by doccharlie954, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Thinking of getting the NOVITEC UPGRADE to my T. It gives you 646 h.p. with just plug and play. Cost is $4700.00 Has anyone installed it yet. My dealer has done two CALI T and he says they turn into a beast equal to the 488 as far as performance goes. Thanks

2. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #2 Fabspeed Motorsport, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #3 good2go, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    The Novitec unit is a harness/box that plugs into factory sensors and "tricks" them. It feeds the sensors different parameters to allow for more power to be released. The problem with that is the car is not actually being "tuned", it's just asking sensors to draw different readings so the factory ECU will call for more boost/fuel/etc. So you'll see more power (not like a ECU flash), but at a riskier cost. There is no real "fail-safe" with this method as it again is just fooling sensors, not actually hard coding itself into the cars brain.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can tell you from upgrading several cars over the years that you will most likely feel the difference in power and you might also appreciate whatever else they are doing- maybe making the engine map more aggressive or fun. But it won't ever turn your car into a 488. It could make it a more appealing version of what you already have.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    Just checked, NOVITEC is $4,700.00 and gives you 646 h.p. Vivid Racing has a plug n play for $1600.00 and gives you 100h.p extra. NOVITEC has the the name, but that's a lot of money difference between the two. Has anyone used the Vivid Racing products?

7. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    So how is it installed? Does one have to do soldering or is it truly just plug and play?

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have used piggybacks on both my M5 and my 991tts. I would not advise this for a Ferrari. The car is exceedingly well tuned and all this can do is foul up what Ferrari has done. The piggyback on my M5 was crap and it was from Dinan, it failed to deliver as promised, just made the car burn more rubber and after putting it on, I had all kinds of problems with the car. It came with a warranty and BMW sold it to me so they supported all the fixes to the piggyback. None of the problems I had with the car were blamed on the piggyback but it was less than worth the money.

On the 991tts, the piggyback provided a significant extra performance improvement and it wasn't expensive. Later I switched that out for a Cobb Accessport and I had that car at over 700hp when I traded it for the Cali T. Once I started driving the Cali T I realized how much better tuned the Cali is from the factory than either the Porsche or BMW was. In addition, the maps on the Porsche tended to be less smooth and I did have some issues with them from time to time. Power delivery just wasn't consistent across the performance range.

What you are going to get is more torque in places you might not want it. I find this car has plenty of torque in the right places. If you drive it in manual mode with the manettino on sport, the car is really strong and responsive. I am planning to take it to the drag strip to see what it can do but won't be adding anything to it other than maybe race gas.

9. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    Just talked to my Ferrari service manager, and he has upgraded two CALI T with Novitec systems. He said it turned the CALI into a beast. Plug and play . Completely a different car once installed. He says I will be grinning all the way home.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You mean you aren't grinning now? LOL! If you do it, let us know how it is.

11. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    I was searching threads about Novitec plug and play simple tuning,wanted some real user feedback and because my car is brand new Lusso T , i wanted to make sure it would not mess up the car,
    grateful for further guidance on this topic
    Thank you,
    Mike

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Equal to a 488? I'll have what he has. Must be good...

13. Bry85

Bry85 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bryan Vaughan
    I have a Portofino on the way and will do some exhaust parts for sure - either Capristo or Novitec mufflers but interested if anyone has done middle pipes or cats on a Portofino but that's probably a discussion for a separate thread.

I talked to someone at a dealer and he said they have a number of cars with Novitec plug and play boxes and no issues. For those of you that have a piggyback solution - are you taking it in for service with the box on and what is Ferrari's policy on warranty and service relative to these upgrades?

14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Bryan FYI regarding the exhaust - I pick my Portofino up on Friday from workshop. I previously had a the Capristo back boxes fitted but wasn’t happy. Have sports cats (100 cell) and x pipe being added. Will report back for those interested - see separate thread

Btw - I am wary of doing ECU flash - concerned it may impact long term engine reliability

15. Bry85

Bry85 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bryan Vaughan
    Karl,

Congrats on the car and the exhaust upgrade. Very interested to hear your thoughts. I'll bet it is going to sound great. if you can, post some video!

16. Bry85

Bry85 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bryan Vaughan
    Which cats and x pipe did you go with?

17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Will do! My girlfriend is pissed off as she thought it was already too loud :)

18. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Novitec do sports cats but they are very expensive. So I went with Kline Innovation - they are making the sports cats and x pipe for a reasonable price (around £2.5k together, excl. install).

19. Bry85

Bry85 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bryan Vaughan
    I have the same situation. The reason I'm going with a Portofino and not a Tributo is I want my Wife to drive it. We bought a Cali T to drive until the Portfino comes in but it sounds pretty tame. The Captisto exhaust has valves right? Big question for me is not if the set up will sound good. I'm sure it will. The question is if it will be civilized with the valves closed.

20. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Yes Capristo has valves. With them closed it is fairly quiet (I think actually quieter than stock). When they open it’s loud, but to my ears more of a blare rather than nice sound... hence my further mods

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Generally the Capristo boxes are fairly close to stock when closed. If you add an X pipe, you'll combat a lot of droning as it smooths out the sound.

If you're worried about the WAF, get a Forza exhaust controller, not the Capristo controller. What's really neat about the Forza constoller is that it has three modes vs. two for Capristo and Novitec. It has normal ECU controlled valve mode, it has fully open all the time, but also a fully closed mode all the time. Put the car in the latter mode, and it will not be loud on cold starts, it will not bark during slow city driving and so on.

22. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    #22 KarlA69, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    New exhaust is fitted to the Portofino... sounds great! Capristo back boxes, sports cats (100 cell) and x pipe. Sounds guttural and angry, and at high rev more of a scream!

I tried to upload video (Mov format) but it won't let me. If anyone knows best way to upload, let me know. Otherwise PM me and I can email it to you.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a piggy back on my T, it actually makes more power than the Novitec, and I have an Capristo exhaust. My unit can be controlled by an app to get different levels of power. Unless I have a spare ECU with my original tune, I will never have a ECU flashed again. I will use piggy backs (like Dinan does these days), and I could not tell the difference in my 4C between my piggy back unit and spare ECU, so I don't buy that there is any. I have handheld tuners for a bunch of my cars that allow me to tune (but it always holds my stock tune in the unit) and go back a forth between different tunes and stock. Each person had their own experiences but the T is pretty amazing when tuned, but then again I drive a 650 hp 997S with no traction controls that weighs less than a 4C, I like things that scare you.

24. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    997s with 650hp and no traction control....I’m scared

25. tquinton

tquinton Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    Yes please !! Interested to see what it does. Right now my stock Porto sounds a bit drone-y but want it to sound like a screamer !