O/T: Unlimited hydroplanes in Alabama

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jun 15, 2017.

1. I have started the new week 1 FerrariChat Update poll, please vote... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-com-update-week-1-poll.560487/
  1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Something a little different this weekend. There will be a test session for unlimited hydroplanes on Lake Guntersville on Saturday, as a proving event for a full-fledged race to be held there a year from now.

The session will be held just east of downtown Guntersville from 9 to 4, and I presume admission for anyone who wants to watch will be free. There is a levee trail which will provide prime viewing. Only 2 boats are participating: the defending champion U-1 Homestreet Bank from Madison, IN, and the local boat, the U-27 from nearby Gadsden. There is the possibility of a vintage hydroplane replica (with V-12 aircraft engine!) as well.

So if you're in the area and want to see the world's fastest racing boats, a couple will be on the water in Guntersville on Saturday.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the photos I took from the Guntersville levee, of the defending national champion U-1 from Madison, IN. The boat's top speed on the straight was around 190 MPH...
    IMG_4199.jpg

3. BigTex

BigTex Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, I would love to come see that event.

Thanks for the photos...

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta/Orlando
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Nice job Jim!

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    WOW congrats Jim Nice job!!

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 30, 2002
    Pensacola
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I lived and worked in Guntersville for 9 years...it's a great lake for water sports. I can't imagine several boats at speed turning at the spot where they plan to but I would gladly go check it out!