OEM Koni shock settings ? | FerrariChat

OEM Koni shock settings ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Aug 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    This week I'm doing the suspension rebuild and would appreciate recommendations on the shock settings.

I'm sending the shocks to a Koni authorized rebuild center in Ohio. The shocks appear to have a screw that sets the firmness. How should I instruct them to set up the shocks ?

I want a sporty, performance oriented setting, but not harsh.

The set up will be:
    Original Koni shocks
    Superformance regular springs
    Superformance harder bushings

Thanks,

Skipp

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    No 1st hand experiences with this ??

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The Koni shocks do not have an external screw adjustment. They must be removed from the car, have the springs off of them. The shock is then fully compressed and the end of the rod will engage a foot valve in the bottom of the shock that is turned to adjust the rebound damping.
    You can do a google search to get a better idea of how Koni shock adjustment works.
    There is a section in your owners manual that explains this and gives dyno curves for the correct valving.
    I would not send the shocks into Koni, as they take a very long time to rebuild them and you don't get any personal feedback from the person that is doing the work.
    I can highly recommend Performance Shock, Inc. They do and outstanding job and are recognized by Koni as an official rebuild center. You can also discuss your needs with them and they can custom tailor the shocks to what you want. They have a much quicker turn around time and do a nicer job refinishing the shocks than Koni does.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Brian,

Thank you for responding. I'm sending the shocks to one of the three authorized rebuilderson Konis website. Yours is on the list too. True Choice in OH. is is the closest to me, so that's where I'm sending them. Not to Koni.
    I'll discuss the valving with them. 3 to 4 day turnaround quoted via telephone.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Search True Choice here on F-Chat. There have been some very poor experiences with them. Things may have changed but proceed with caution.

As for shock settings I went with 3/4 hard even all around and have been very pleased with this damping setup.

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the insight and info on True Choice