Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 56 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Sorry to continue the thread hijack.
    Pat,
    Keep us posted on the results. And what plugs you were using previously.
    Joe

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Looks like Electromotive ignition (no distributor).

3. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
  4. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Yep. Definitely looks like a 1985 308gt4 model to me...

5. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Not a 1995 Model ? I could bet, that's it ! ;-)

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The new management is serious about going downmarket.
    ;)

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta

I think you'll need more than that to get this one. Know this car well both before and after the restoration. You won't find a better GT4.

8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I hope it sells for 100+ that would just make the rest of ours that much better.

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

If you mean that a more valuable car justifies a higher level of expense on improvements and maintenance I agree.

10. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    #1385 dinogt4guy, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    There is only one for sale on ebay, very few anywhere, LOL! They are such a cool car for all the reasons mentioned before. The history, and who had the input on the making of the car is really incredible compared to many other Ferrari conceived after. Its more than a collector car, its also a drivers car, a hands on enthusiast car, very unique in design, first of the V8 lineage, I mean really as true Tifosi, can it really get any better? Sure the newer models are amazing but of course they are Ferrari after all. But the GT4 is in a league of its own. Finally people are starting to get it!!!!!... Yea buddy!!!!

11. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    I'll be looking for one to buy at the 60 Years Celebration on Sunday in Beverly Hills. Out of 1000 Ferraris planned on being present, I wonder how many will be of the GT4 variety.

12. dino_bob

dino_bob Karting

Sep 27, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow, suddenly the prices are jumping. All the "cheap" Euro cars are gone from the European sites, and the 308 Gt4 at ebay is at 45000 at the moment. For a seller this is fantastic, but for a driver......

13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    It's worth it when you're driving a well sorted car that actually performs as it was intended. Turn the key and drive. Nothing is worse than having a Ferrari that drives like a dog.

It's over $50K now

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Amen brother.
    I paid solid money for a strong car, put more into it to make it right mechanically without worrying about market value. A year later the market's caught up and I could get all my money back and then some.
    But if I sold what could I get that would be better?

Guess I'm stuck with her.
    ;)

15. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
  16. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Now it is time for the real negotiations to begin. Ebay is a great way to advertise a car to the broadest possible market.

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    eBay the last few years has become a great tool for advertising cars now.

The old days of being fleabay are diminishing, it has really grown into its own.

You are right, the real negotiations will now begin.

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    You're right. I would hope someone willing to drop that kind of cash on a car would spend a few hundred more to actually go out and see it in person.

19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I was close with my 50K assessment even though the reserve wasn't met.

20. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
  21. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Here's one in Vancouver, BC. With the falling Canadian dollar, this would be about US $24K. 1980 Ferrari Dino GT4 2+2!!! RED! VINTAGE I don't know the car or the owner. Maybe "Peter" on this board knows of it. Jon

22. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    Just to revive this a bit and continue the discussion on the eBay GT4...

It may well be the nicest GT4 ever as Jay alluded to above. However, at the moment, it's price is MUCH higher than any other GT4 which makes it hard for buyers to justify spending the money.
    The aggregate US GT4 market isn't supporting prices that high so the potential buyer may take a big hit with depreciation if for some reason they need to sell the car sooner rather than later.

23. rossogta4me

rossogta4me Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    BA
    #1398 rossogta4me, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is a beautiful car. If it was a Series 1 Euro (1974-1975) car in this restored condition it would sell for double the lbuy it now price. The series 1 Euro cars in Europe are what everyone wants and are willing to pay up for them, very desireable. The Series 2 Euro cars like this are still desirable but not as much currently. This one sold for 90,000 EUR or $125.5K in March 2013 at Essen Motor Show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Prices that deviate strongly from the aggregate prices are possible and I hazard to guess also probable because there are more buyers wanting a GT4 for whom condition > price. Either they will buy a less than great car and spend a bundle to getting it they way they want it, awesome, or they will buy the best car they can find (the smart move financially - buying the best car today is cheaper than getting a cheap car restored properly probably by a long margin).

That car failed reserve at $51k. On this forum that would have been amazing 12months ago for a SII US spec car - $35-40 maybe. Great cars will raise the price ceiling because those are the cars that 'condition > price' guys will buy, and some of those guys now want a Gt4. The last $10-20k is not the same problem for them as it is for schmucks like me.

A $100k 308Gt4 doesnt make sense to me. But neither does a $3-400k 246, but thats the market, Couldnt a GT4 be worth a quarter or a third of a 246? I think so. It's anyone's guess if that trajectory will continue or fizzle out but the current path is up for Gt4's.

Popcorn at the ready...

25. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    You make a good point. I am hoping that I am able to buy one before they are priced out of my range. The 246 was always just out of my range and then it leaped to impossible.