"OFFICIAL" MASERATI BI-TURBO ERA ENTHUSIAST THREAD | Page 4 | FerrariChat

"OFFICIAL" MASERATI BI-TURBO ERA ENTHUSIAST THREAD

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 3500 GT, Sep 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Very cool! One of my favorite Maseratis as well.

Next year, the doors are open. I've been looking for awhile now, hopefully I'll get one next year!

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ?

3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    NHTSA restrictions expire 2014.

Import at will, and I will.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    He is referring to the exemption where a car 25 years and older may be imported into the USA. State laws may still apply, so one must be be careful. Luckily my county does not even have smog checks on newer cars.

"A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."

Ivan

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Karting

Nov 18, 2012
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    #80 Shamrock, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I know about that but it's the math I'm questioning.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Thank goodness Walter is still on his self imposed hiatus from all things Maserati on this forum :rolleyes: lest he become appalled ... :D

Very nice car indeed.

8. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I've been wondering where Walter is these days.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  10. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    I'm always amazed of how some people who have no cualms about giving degrading remarks about other people's objects or interrests, cannot bare to get even the lightest kind blow on the chin. Sorry, I find it sort of amusing ;)

Cheers, Jarle

11. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    #86 finlandese, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    Had enough with Ferrarichat and certain posters a while ago. Nice to see that things have changed...

After lusting for one since they were new, I finally bought one in November 2012. I was considering a Ghibli or a Shamal, but since I already had an Esprit S2, I needed to get an open top car. I wanted a post 88 car with 2,8 litre engine and preferably with black exterior and tan interior. I was ready to pull the trigger for a quite while, until one of the 150 or so ´89 US Spyders popped up on ebay. 24k miles, black with tan interior, 16 inch factory wheels and SE bumpers. Perfect spec for me. Won the auction and five months later it was here in Finland.

Did the oil change, de-cat, timing belt change and hit the road! What a great car, what an great engine! Dynoed it at the end of the summer, and it came within 1% of factory power and torque. Only non scheduled maintanace item during the whole summer was the clutch master cylinder that had to be replaced due previous lack of use. I emphasize the word previous, since I clocked close to 7000 km in six months. I´ll tell you, quite a few Boxters were educated to respect an elderly Italian during those kilometers...

The reaction to the car in the classic car meetings has been a pleasant suprise. Everyone seems to want to take a photo of the interior! The only downside has been that I can´t register the car as a 2+2 seater here in Finland. That is certainly a problem for father of two, who already has another two seater classic in the garage. I´ve been thinking lately quite frequently of a 3,2 Mondial cabriolet. I´ve heard that according to "experts" it´s another crap car too...

Here is a little video I made. Haven´t had the time to make a proper one yet:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYYk4uEl2JQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUSarYSKgmfstPBHKEqzPDFw]Maserati experimentation - YouTube[/ame]

My Esprit:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emOP0m9Af98&list=TLSRgUOMybk1PzqxEhD7cR6bWNDitayqSB]Lotus Esprit S2 promo for Urheiluautoilijat Vanajanlinnassa 2012 event - YouTube[/ame]

12. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Here is an excellent post from maranello71 (third post in the thread)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/134306-80s-90s-maseratis.html

13. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi

Saw this nice looking Karif. I used to know someone from the club who had one and loved it.
    Maserati Karif | eBay

14. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  15. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
  16. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    I've always liked these. Much stiffer than the 2.8 Spyder, and quick as hell!

If you need a "right hooker" Karif, this looks nice.

17. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Actually that car looks to be in excellent condition. Not €100k excellent, but nonetheless it seems to have been well taken care of. Great color combination too.

Someone will have to break the news to the seller that his price is off by a factor of 7 or so...

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think it's a part of the current "vintage" car valuation mania. I've seen a pair of these (essentially new) both red floating around for several years and this is one of them. A few years ago they wanted 30K euros which was nutty at that time. But this is just silly. I kind of like the look of them but would much prefer a nice Shamal to this. If someone had a very clean one @ $10-15K and it was already stateside I might bite. They will have a very long wait ...

19. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Seems to me it's an ad to appease a significant other. "Yes darling, of course I'm trying to sell it."

20. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    So true! Owning one my self I must say this is a hell of a car and offeres everything you expect from a really great sports car - and a Maserati. But I think to remember I said this before! ;-)

21. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    I could not agree more! Owning and driving both classic Maseratis AND Biturbos, I must say they all share the same bllodline until, well, FIAT stepped in "recently". Think about it!

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Now they are a corporation's tool for making money and if they had not been "rescued" by the more recent Fiat/Ferrari finagling there would be no more Maserati either. I miss the old Maserati but I also realized we can't go back. The new cars are the highest quality vehicles they've ever made but then the current times have forced that upon all manufacturers. Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini have all changed greatly.

23. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi I agree. It is the true enthusiasts that supported the marque during the bad era and took the sometimes flawed product and put the time and energy to get the "fixes" right. Even in some of these cars there are shades and glimmers of genius. My biturbo convertible was an amazing car. I would buy it again and roaring around Tuscany after Nero Fabio in Sienna got it working was a revelation - it was amazing and fun. I always felt that when you drove up in the car to the Maserati dealer you could only see the vapour trails of the staff running away. They were petrified you would be trying to trade it in!!!!!

I hope some of these cars become like the Pantera - the object of owners who fix them into cars that work and have itemised all the flaws and know now how to keep them running.

I also agree with the sad outcome of someone buying a cheap running wreck and trying to get it right - virtually impossible.

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's exactly what I did but back in 1986->87 so that I got to enjoy the car for almost 27 years now. A few but not many of us did that. Most are just rusted & rotten junk now.

In 1987 when I bought my Bora it wasn't easy finding a decent one of those or a Khamasin. Most of the ones I saw were in a very sad state, neglected and rusted. Contrary to some beliefs around here the arrival of the Biturbo did not make those cars become neglected as it wasn't historically possible.

25. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #100 Merak1974, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DebbieSidera likes this.