Opinion On Water Pump Rebuild Services | FerrariChat

Opinion On Water Pump Rebuild Services

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Sep 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My water pump on my '87 328GTS froze up and shredded the drive belt the other day. I am looking for opinions on the Flying Dutchman in Selma, Oregon for a pump rebuild. I've been in contact with them and they appear to be good people. Has anyone had experience with their rebuilds?

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I cannot comment on the quality of work as my engine is not yet running but in turnaround time and ease of dealing with I found them to be very good.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FD has rebuilt a pump for me. I disassembled it after some 10 years it was not leaking but is was doing an engine overhaul and did not want to overlook anything. The pump used a 3 bearing design. They also milled a seat into the back of the impeller which is matched to the shaft. Uses an off the shelf seal. Never had an issue. I have rebuilt one to the same design with no issues. Not sure what other rebuilders do but I like the FD and it lasted for me.

4. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Based on what you guys have posted and my conversation with FD, I am going to ship them my pump for rebuilding. Thanks for input.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    The Flying Dutchman is a very nice fellow, unfortunately I had to have several conversations with him when trying to get a water pump rebuilt from him that wouldn't leak. See post#4 for details of my experience. It seems others had better success with his services than I did: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-water-pump.465354/

6. reggazz.stevenson@gmail

Sep 15, 2017
    cedar creek austin texas
    Full Name:
    regis bragg stevenson
    I really like Nick's parts/replacement waterpump and he has a great track record

7. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I've decided to replace the bearings in the water pump tensioner belt and am having little success removing the old bearings from the pulley. There are two bearings in the pulley and my 12 ton press only seems to be able to move the bearings about 1/16 of an inch. You'd think that if the bearings moved any, then they would come out. One of the bearings has a slight rough spot during rotation. The inner races do not touch so you can turn them independently.

8. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    I think you'll find that those bearings can't be pressed out, because there is a rib between them, machined into the pulley bore.

When I've rebuilt mine, I set the pulley on a ring that's larger than the diameter of the bearing, and gently heat the pulley with a propane torch. When the pulley expands just enough, the bottom bearing just falls out. Then repeat for the other side.

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    He did my 77 and told me not to worry about it for another 100K miles. No problem with turn a round and did a great job. Easy to work with and very responsive. It's still running as far as I know with 40K on it.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Heating the pulley per ZOOOOMZ suggestion is a good idea, but the each bearing need to be driven out from the inside (i.e., place a punch against the inner race of one bearing between the bearings are drive it outward and then move the punch around the circle to drive it out evenly). If you've moved both bearings together in one direction by 1/16", the pulley and/or snap ring might be damaged (but there is some clearance for the outer races to move relative to the snap ring 58 that's between the outer races -- that snap ring 58 is what is preventing you from pushing both bearings out together in one direction). Don't lose the spacer 56 that's between the inner races:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/328-group/328-1985/water-pump-and-piping.html

11. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Thanks Steve and Zoooomz for the information. I was beginning to wonder about a ridge in the bearing. I'll give your suggestions a try.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Why not rebuild the pump yourself? Its actually pretty simple. If you've pulled it out of the car, that was the hard part :)

13. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I got the bearings out. Once heated one came out with the push of a screwdriver. The other came out with a hammer tap on a screwdriver. The snap ring inside the pulley was not damaged. Rebuilder is shipping new bearings along with the pump. Thanks for the help.

14. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I had thought about it because I like to do things myself. But I was not sure about what parts to buy. What seal, what bearings, etc.

15. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    There are a couple of threads in the archive on this. The four parts you need are the pump to housing gasket, the two bearings and the seal. You can get the gasket from any Ferrari parts source you choose and McMaster-Carr has the seal and the bearings. I did mine a year ago and the two bearings (premium SKF made in Italy) and the two part seal were $66 delivered.

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I don't remember the guy's name - Rob Garven will, because he was the one who suggested him to me - but there is a guy on the east coast that rebuilds, primarily, Jaguar pumps, but does exotics as well, including Ferrari. I got a large bearing pump for my 308 through him and it's been almost nine years and not a drop coming out.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The rebuilt pump arrived yesterday along with two new water pump tensioner bearings. Installation will begin Tuesday.

18. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The rebuilt pump has been installed. I have not yet installed the belt and tensioner. I replaced the two bearings in the tensioner due to a slight roughness when turning the pulley. The job should be finished tomorrow and the car should be running once again. I can only work a couple of hours at a time due to a back issue. A short section of copper tubing will be added to each air line that attaches to the bottom of the air box. That way to detach the air box, I just undo the lines at an easily accessible CU location rather than clamps at the bottom of the air box.

19. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The air lines at the bottom of the air box are original equipment meaning they are at least 30 years old and are very stiff and difficult to reattach. I'm replacing them and will cut the new lines to a length that enables easier installation.

20. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    All is reassembled. Drove the car a little while ago and everything seems fine - no pistons visible in rear view mirror and gauges remained at normal operating readings.

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hahahah! Always a sign of success ;)