Our cars.... | FerrariChat

Our cars....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 1stFerrari@71, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    It's a pity that so few Ferrari owners actually drive their cars... I don't mean around town on a nice weekend or a quick jaunt to a favorite restaurant 22 miles away - though even that is better than opening the garage door to look at it occasionally.

I just made a 2,025 mile trip from the Dallas, Texas, area to Prescott, Arizona, and back in my 29-year-old 328 GTB.... the car was a sheer joy the entire trip... and naturally (sadly), as always, I never saw another Ferrari....

...truth is I almost never see Ferraris anywhere outside of an immediate metro area.

These are such wonderful road cars and the attention - young, old, men, women, children - is great fun: for few people, other than "us" have ever even seen a Ferrari outside of television and movies - no negative comments, ever - none - and this is in more than 40,000 miles over the last four years...

...many of the conversations are truly great - and many people, even though they have never owned a Ferrari are _very_ knowledgeable about our cars....

Make a plan... take a road trip. Go see things, do things, but, most of all, go truly enjoy your car by driving it...

To quote myself: "No one on his death bed ever said, 'I wish I'd driven the Ferrari less.'"

kerrari likes this.
  2. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I agree that they are meant to be driven.

Next thursday I will drive my car from Milan@Italy to Genova, Bologna and Maranello. Really looking forward to participate in Ferrari 70years celebrations in Modena county.

All will die, but not all have lived!

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Joel... Great story. My wife and I have driven from DFW out west many times, including several trips in the Porsche. None yet in the Ferrari. Hopefully, one day.

I've put almost 9 K in 15 months on my Cali, and like you, I've hardly seen any F-cars out in the wild, apart from FCA events and such. Shame really...T

4. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well said ! I've been getting my mondial into a reliable daily for my wife and I to enjoy with our kids. The trips are getting longer and longer and last weekend we used it as our primary car and took it to church too! Looking forward to the trip to Watkins Glen a few hours away for the fall FCA meet !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The last thing someone is thinking about on their deathbed is their Ferrari.

ASK328 likes this.
  6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I agree halfway. We also enjoy long trips and rarely go to local cars and coffee. But how anyone else uses their car I never find troubling to me as it's none of my business. If someone doing all the local shows makes them very happy then great. Who am I to lament how they use their own stuff.

Many people would not find a thousand miles in a 30 yr old Italian convertible relaxing at all.

paulchua likes this.
  7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    #7 vandevanterSH, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "Make a plan... take a road trip. Go see things, do things, but, most of all, go truly enjoy your car by driving it..."
    104,000 miles and ~45 States. Longest road trip ~7,800 miles. Road trip with wife (it all fits!!) and packed for solo trip with handy snacks!!

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FutureF, DMWC, TOOLFAN and 1 other person like this.
  8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Love the Maranellos, great car for a road trip

9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    35K on my baby in 10 yrs

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    You're my new hero!

11. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    From the time I was about five-years-old (I'll be 76 in a few days) I've had the travel bug..... someone said, "Go" and I was headed for the car - not knowing they meant next week....

I'm still that way.... I may well be lamenting not being able to take the next road trip in the F-car while on my death bed.... which, I hope, is still many years in the future.... :)

12. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    She is at FoH getting 100,000 mile service and her first new clutch. Survived the flood!!!!

Steve

13. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    This has got to be some sort of a record. <clapping with long pauses>

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Love it.

15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ...on FChat years ago; I believe named 'Bart'.....he also put high mileage on his 550 betw LAX and Vegas. Da Mayor may know/of him...... or Darth....

16. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    #16 1stFerrari@71, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    I've made that trip many times but was in a Mercedes or BMW... did not own a Ferrari at the time.... I envy you your trip!

17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    #17 johnireland, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Short trips can be great to...as in a daily driver. My first Ferrari was back in 1993. A 1980 308 GTSi with 88k miles. Whatever could break or was needed, the first owner had already paid for. For the next three years it was my only car. Dog to the vet, shopping at Ralphs, work, pleasure, jury duty...it was my only car. Three years later I sold it with 124k. Got only $2000 less than I paid for it so all was right with the world. Has only one mechanical failure in all those miles...the original clutch broke at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon. I had my support system in place and so the second shop I called had the part and I was back on the road by noon Saturday. The car was great fun every time I got in it. Now 24 years later I'm looking around for my second Ferrari. When I think of who I am and what I want to pay, I bounce back and forth between an early Mondial and a Dino 308 gt4. Can't say which or when I'll pull the trigger but it will once again be my daily driver.

100badboy100 likes this.
  18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I'm with the drivers - over 5000miles since end of April.

DMWC likes this.
  19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It's good to see there are others out there that enjoy the cars by actually driving them. Aside from lots of road trips, one of my favorite things to do is buy a car, fly in and drive home. So far....

Testarossa...... Minomenee, MI to Phoenix, AZ
    Mondial t cab...Buffalo, NY to Phoenix
    F40.......OC, CA to Phoenix (possible record time of 3 hrs, 20 mins)
    Porsche 928S4......Springfield, MO to Phoenix
    Lotus Esprit Turbo... NJ to Phoenix
    Lotus Elan.........Dalas to Phoenix

Every trip I have done with an exotic is filled with great memories and lots of new friends!

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yup. love the ferrari road trips and adventures. done them many times, and it has usually worked out pretty well.

besides doing the giro di sicilia and the targa florio in the 512bbi, and the mille tribute in the 360cs, i drove the f40 back to geneva from bob houghton's shop, and then numerous long trips in the 360 cs, the 512tr and the 456mgt. i think cumulatively i have driven ferraris about 50k miles in the last 17 years. and included in that are many trips that i will never forget - with my wife, my son, my dad, and friends.

and in 5 days am about to do it again....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/silver-subscribed-private-forum-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/558036-thinking-going-vegas.html

21. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing their stories about trips and high mileage cars.... I have 63,000 on my 328..... looking forward to 100K+ before departing our scudding rock on its limp through space....

22. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    I agree and I guess everyone has different reasons for not driving them- mine is the draconian speed laws and limits here In australia which I must say are the the worst I've experienced - I have Spent time in the US (FL and CA) the U.K., Asia etc and I find Australia unlike any other place I've lived in. I even sold my motorbikes as I feel I can't ride them here, and also can't drive a Ferrari properly without staring at the speedometer constantly

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Glad that the OP and others are driving their cars. I would point out that you really don't get to know these cars with just short trips. You owe it to yourself to drive a whole day in one sitting. The car will learn your style and do things in anticipation of you. The drivetrain will definitely behave differently. Its weird to see folks buy a car and then post how fast and how much of a driver or 'raw' car it is but then sell it with only adding 1K miles or so. That said, I need to drive mine more this year before it gets cold and the tires lose traction. The early Fall is my favorite time to drive around here.

24. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "You owe it to yourself to drive a whole day in one sitting."
    Have driven 1000+ miles (longest 1400 miles) with only food, fuel, BR break multiple times in the Maranello. Now that we are both old, 15 and 73 years, long trips together are in the past. (Three weeks ago, the wife's Cayenne S and I went on a 2500 mile jaunt but not the same as a Ferrari trip).

Steve

25. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I'll be 76 in 5 days... car is 29 (30 in February)... can't wait for my next road trip...

I split the DD duties between the 328 and a C7 Corvette - I take the Vette when I need more "trunk" space...

100badboy100 likes this.