Our First Prancing Pony | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's close to getting too hot in Texas for top down driving! So, I went joy riding with the wife and princess. Passed the 6,000 mile mark.

Thus sayeth the missus during a high speed pass on a two lane road "Dave sounds better the faster he goes!" (She has named my Cali Dave, despite my protests that F cars are usually named after women. Whatcha gonna do?)

[​IMG]
    Fresh from the groomer. Riding home in a Ferrari. It's a dog's life! 😀

[​IMG]
    Bugs love it too!

Some more pics for your viewing pleasure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Tom , you know I love you and no disrespect , but bro those white socks gotta go. If you ever get pulled over in those you are gonna get a fashion citation along with a moving violation.

timjen88 likes this.
  3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Busted! Ya got me. I'll endeavor to do better. 😀
    T

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tom, just came across this thread. The car is gorgeous.

Congrats and I wish you good luck with it!

Obviously you pick cars better than football teams. :D

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom, Nice pictures and I really like the one of your princess she looks so proud inside her Ferrari and one can tell she likes to seat only on the best leather.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks, Paul. Wife picked it. She has impeccable taste in most things, except husbands. 😀 Maybe I should get her to help me with my picks next season?...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Indeed, nothing but the best for my ladies! 😀 Some scenery pictures from today's drive, but they no way rival the ones you posted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    T

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Kirk,
    This one's for you. Gotta get rid of the tan lines, but with patience, and some sun, I know I can do it. 😀
    Thanks for having my back fashion-wise!
    Hope you're having a great day at the beach.
    T
    [​IMG]

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Now we're talking ! + 1

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Today's mission? Crank up the mannetino to Sport for the first time!

Then, find some of the few below ground roads in DFW to enjoy the Ferrari sound explosion.

They are called Texpress lanes, near 635 in Dallas. Got on at Luna, headed east, and hung out in the right lane, which is reputed to have great acoustics (thanks to F-chat user baschul for the suggestion; thanks Brian!). Even though it was 100 F in Dallas today, the wife agreed to let me roll down the windows to enjoy the symphony! 😀😀 Awesome. We planned on doing the Addison airport tunnel, but, country bumpkins that we are, we got lost. 🤓

Another great day in Ferrari land.

T

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario

Tom, I can see you are really enjoying the role of maestro on that exclusive and exquisite symphonic orchestra……….

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Indeed. It's a great car. The wife and I are thoroughly enjoying it, every chance we get. Now, back to listening to the last hour of LeMans!
    T

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This past Saturday, the wife and I headed out in the Cali early, before it got too hot. To my knowledge, there's only one tunnel in DFW and it's not very long. But, long enough! 😀

The Addison Airport Tunnel.

http://www.lachel.com/projects/transportation/addison-airport-tunnel/

Since it was early on a weekend not a lot of traffic. Yay! Job # 1 - roll down the windows. I would have liked to have the top down, but it was 90+ already & the wife doesn't like being a sweaty Betty!

Upon entering the tunnel, I slowed a bit, paddled it down into third gear, and then hit the gas! Juvenile, boy racer-ish? Perhaps, but the wife and I were grinning from ear to ear. So much fun, we did another pass, this time from east to west. Well worth the buck or so in tolls. A symphony of sound I think Mario would say. 😀

[​IMG]

Shown above is the Cali in Celina town square. Celina is a small town north of DFW.
    Stopped there to stretch our legs after a drive in the country.

T

14. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is funny how visceral the engine sound can be. And there is no explaining how it got into our DNA, unless, it resonates with how a T-Rex sounded :)

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom, now that I have been Cali sick for almost two week your tunnel double pass story is an heresy and made me really "jealous" but, at the same time, it's great to see how yourself and your wife are enjoying so much all the fantastic sensations this car is capable of transmitting and the sound of the exhaust is no doubt one of the best.The Cali looks really great on this Celina town picture……...

16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I forgot to tell you Tom, if you haven't done it yet with the roof down it's imperative you try it. I've experienced that with my Cali recently on a long tunnel, exhaust valves fully open, and when I exited on the other side I noticed I had chicken skin and was wondering if that's what we call reaching the Nirvana……………….

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Hi Mario...I saw your great post on the DCT. It struck me that with so many moving parts and electronics, it's a wonder that these cars work at all. I hope your gorgeous Cali is back on the road soon.

When the weather cools, we'll try the tunnel top down, definitely.

There are lots of small towns and usually little traffic in the towns north of Dallas. The scenery is not world class, especially in summer when a lot of it turns brown. But, they're fun roads to drive, for me anyway. Wife took that picture. She's a much better picture taller than I.

Again, hope your Cali is up and running soon...T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I fear I may have reduced the value of my Cali. Yep, I was driving it yesterday, and got caught in a rain shower. Car got wet. Thus far, doesn't seem like it has melted. Fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    T

19. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    If the heat isn't melting you, water sure won't unless your car is green!

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks, Don. In seriousness, it was scorching here yesterday. The little rain storms temporarily cooled things off into the upper 80s, which was much appreciated...T

21. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Nicely done! Congratulations 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom this winter I've tested mine during a 100 miles journey with the worst heavy rain showers you can imagine and not a single water droplet went inside. I was driving in a motorway at a steady speed of 140 Km/h and she inspired a lot of confidence however I think that's the speed limit for that type of conditions. I was also impressed with the wipers because at full speed they cope very well with this type of conditions. Don't worry about the paint because it can take any rain and won't get damage…………………unless it is acid rain……………..

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. As I drive it more, I'm spending more time enjoying it and less time worrying about it. It really is a great ride...T

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks, Mario! 😀 How cold do your winters get? We are rarely below 0 C here, but I'd be more worried about driving with summer performance tires in cold weather than the wet. I plan to put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the Fall. Have them on my Porsche, love them...T

25. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom where I live in winter very rarely the temperature goes below 10ºC. The rain is a much bigger problem than the temperature because the climate has sometimes very rainy days in winter and in beginning of spring. After receiving here advice from other Cali owners I've ordered the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (front) 245/35ZR20 (95Y) XL K2 (back) 285/35ZR20 (104Y) XL K2 and they are waiting to be mounted when I have my Cali back. They all say this tires are the best and I can't wait to test them.