Our First Prancing Pony | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For your sake, I hope there were no police around! 😀

I may have achieved enthusiastic speeds in the Cali to test the new MPSS, but only for scientific purposes to make sure the alignment was correct. 😉

T

2. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another milestone this past week.
    [​IMG]

Yet another otherwise mundane task made more enjoyable with the cavallino. Shopping at Kroger.

[​IMG]

Older gent comes up to me while the wife was inside shopping - "Is that a Porsche?" Nope, Ferrari says I. Like most folks, he comments favorably on the unusual avorio color. I tell him that my wife picked it out. "Your wife had great taste." 😀

T

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #103 MDEL, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tom, I don't blame the older gent for confusing a Porsche with a Ferrari because if the 988 comes out that's what we will be doing as well.

Shopping with a Ferrari is always an act of style…………………...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

He was on the right continent! 😀

Is the 988/960/FeFi or wherever they're calling it now more than rumor? They've been talking about this longer than the mid engined Corvette...T

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom I think the rumor won't materialize soon because of VW group problems. However if Porsche decides to produce a 988 Ferrari like car I think will loose identity but imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Had a chance to show off the Cali at the Fall Concorso hosted by the good people of Boardwalk Ferrari. If you like looking at Ferrari, this is the place to be.

[​IMG]
    Red, white and blue. 328 GTS in blue IIRC. Red car, I forgot already. Old age. 🙁

[​IMG]
    Was given a prime spot opposite the super car corral. 😀 3 Enzos! LaF. 599 GTO. 458 SA. TdF. Etc.
    [​IMG]
    Love this blue 360.
    [​IMG]
    Yellow 550 Barchetta?
    [​IMG]
    In a sea of many red cars, one avorio stood out. 😃

Great day. Great event. Had a blast. Enjoyed chatting with other owners...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    [​IMG]
    This is a bold color choice. Shone like an emerald on a sunny Texas day.
    [​IMG]
    Two classics.
    [​IMG]
    Mine! 😀
    T

8. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great photos Tom. It's a pity I couldn't make it today. Great weather !!

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom very nice photos, your Cali looks great and the avorio color really comes out in the middle of so many red Ferraris.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. With all those great looking cars, it's hard to take a bad shot, even with my limited skills and equipment (iphone)...T

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thank you, Mario. It was definitely the only avorio Ferrari there. 😀 I think there were several 4x8's in white. Had a lot of fun chatting up the cioccolato interior and avorio exterior with the local enthusiasts, and also getting an up close look at their cars...T

12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Nice pictures Tom. Your car looks great. I love that blue 348 spider.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. Good crowd. People well behaved, lots of kids, respect for the classic cars. I have been before, was great to be there as an owner...T

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Public service announcement. Unplug the battery conditioner before firing up your Ferrari. 🤓

My first TFT screen warning message. 😱

[​IMG]

Fortunately I have the owner's manual on my iPhone. So, after a panic attack, it appears I left the battery conditioner plugged in to the port in the rear of the Cali. Doh!! 😳

[​IMG]

Wish with all the Cali technology, they could add some text to the icons. You know, something along the lines of "Hey, genius, unplug the battery conditioner." 😏

[​IMG]

Can you spot the avorio Cali?

T

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom, the first time I tried to move out of my garage with the tender plugged I couldn't figure why the car wouldn't start because I wasn't familiar with the icon. Your idea of the text is an excellent one and I'm sure it would help a lot anyone that isn't yet familiar with the Cali.

I spotted your Cali in the very end of the car park but it's very well hidden like it belongs to a secret agent. May be it's 007 first Ferrari.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Actually, Mario, I thought the car would not start if the conditioner was plugged in. Conditioner was plugged in to Cali receptacle, but not attached to a wall socket, so perhaps that was the reason.

I was relieved when I saw the icon in the manual, as I originally thought it meant the battery was low on current, which seems to be a recurring issue on many Ferrari.

👍 Good spot. I took it out Sunday morning (very early) as I needed some carrots to make my grandmother's lentil soup recipe. Always looking for excuses to drive it. 😀

T

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Took the Cali to the track for the first time. Great event organized by Boardwalk Ferrari. Full disclosure - I stink/stank/stunk (a little Dr. Seuss for you) at performance driving, but I still had a blast. If you've not taken your Ferrari to the track, try it.

Interesting view of the Cali taken by the wife from the viewing porch next to the track.[​IMG]

Gorgeous Jaguar E class (IIRC) enjoying a day at the track.
    [​IMG]

My car in its natural element, being passed by an F430. ☹️
    [​IMG]

This was taken by Mr. De Jesus of the MB Club, which was also at the track that day. Note, not being passed by anyone!
    [​IMG]

Enjoying a chat with a fellow F-chatter, Leo (hope I remembered his name right, I'm getting atrocious at names in my old age), and his beatiful Cali T.
    [​IMG]

The next day. The Cali, doing what it does best, driving the wife in style to buy shoes. 😀
    [​IMG]

T

18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Did the F430 beat the California T? I would expect the California T to win.

It's a rush to drive them at speed not allowed on streets. What was your top speed?

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom, I can imagine what a great experience is driving in the track. I like the Jaguar E type in one of the pictures.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

There were two Californias on the track. Mine, a first gen, 2011. And, a 2013, so I'm guessing, Cali 30. The red T was spectating.

The other Cali on the track was driven by none other than Jennie, wife of our fearless leader, Rob Lay! Very nice lady. She passed me, and a few others I think. She's got talent. I think she said it was her first time on the track. I passed NOBODY. 😀 The Cali is a capable car on the track, I'm sure, but not in my hands.

For the open session, they split us up into two groups - those with a bit more experience, and a more novice group. I hung out at the back of the latter group. At first it was a tad disconcerting to have no one to follow, since we were spaced out by maybe 15 seconds or so. But, then I just started watching for the cones, braking zones, following the line, turning points, apexes, etc. And, since I was at the back, I could go slow at first and not impede others, and then build up speed as I started to get the hang of the course. It was a good setup for a first timer. Highly recommended.

I did a PCA drivers ed in my 911 and I didn't enjoy that as much. It was a bit too advanced for a complete novice like myself. Too many cars on the track. And, this is odd perhaps, I didn't enjoy having the instructor in the car with me. Nice guy, but it was hard to concentrate on driving the track and his advice at the same time. I like figuring out things for myself. Give me some of the basics. Let me try it. Then, let me ask questions. At this event, the instructor piped in from time to time on a low power FM channel (thanks to Steve F of Boardwalk Ferrari for showing us how to work the radio, never used it before! 😊) with some advice, things to try, etc.

Top speed? I went faster on the interstate going there! It was a 1.7 mile track, 11 turns and with me driving, I think I looked down once or twice and got up to 70 - 80 mph on a straight away.

T

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

It was a bit daunting, having little experience in performance driving, but I had a good time. The Jag was very nice. Didn't move while we were there. It was next to a classic Corvette convertible when we arrived, but that car left before my wife could snap a picture...T

22. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Congrats and keep enjoying! Thanks for sharing pics of your adventures.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thank you for the kind words. It's been fun chronicling our mini-adventures as Ferrari owners...T

24. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Sounds great. I hit the track few weeks back. The short track was around 2.1 miles the long track about 3.5 miles. We had six 25-minute sessions (2 short, 4 long). In the California T I could pass almost anyone.

On long track, I hit top speed of 166 miles per hour. Couple areas I could accelerate to 120... 130 before breaking hard for turn.

Not sure about you but I will do it a couple times every summer. It was so much fun.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Yes, I remember your post.

Wow!! You are way beyond me. Did you have a long straightaway to reach those speeds?

I may (may have, mind you, not confirming, lest the local popo are reading 😉) have gotten up to 120 mph on my favorite long straightaway, but that's a couple mile straight run, guard rails, unlimited sight lines, etc. But, I'll admit it, I pucker up once there are any tight curves involved. 😀 The hardest thing to convince myself to do was to attack corners full speed, brake, then turn in. Like in this pic.

[​IMG]

My brain keeps telling me to stay in my lane, try to cut the corners, etc. I'd like to take the Cali out again, for sure. It was fun. Great group of people, the other drivers. Would like to take my 911 out in this kind of event.

T