Paint match Grigio Argento 20265 A Italver | FerrariChat

Paint match Grigio Argento 20265 A Italver

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Feb 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear All,

what actual color available in the market is the nearest
    match to Grigio Argento 20265 A Italver?

I do now know my car was this color but have no samples.

I tried different paint suppliers but they are only able to come
    up with the formula for 18940 Grigio Argento.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Christopher

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Check Tom's forum for my response.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    What model? Chassis number?

Marcel Massini

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hello Mr. Massini,

250 Gte 4701Gt. Paint information from Ferrari is 20265 A It Grigio Argento

Thanks
    Chris

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Completed 3 June 1963.
    New to FBA Franco-Britannic Autos SA in Paris (Levallois).
    79 GTE's were originally painted in Grigio Argento 20265 A Italver.

Marcel Massini

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Italver was bought by PPG. You might check and see what paint colors are available in the 106 E series which are Argento and Grigio in various shades of silver gray. Might be an equivalent in there. Have you asked PPG?

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    PPG has a super color book. Worth a look. NOT a Website, a real (paper) book.

Also strongly recommend to contact Brian Hoyt of Perfect Reflections in Hayward, CA/USA, excellent source for such colors.

Marcel Massini

8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks to all of you. I will try to follow up the different suggestions and keep you informed.
    Cheers
    Chris

9. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear Mr. Massini,

thanks for the hint about Brian Hoyt, I will ask them. Problem will be that I am in Germany and therefor will have to source paintbhere or at least in Europe.

Thanks
    Chris

10. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Chris - I had good luck contacting Cremonini Carrozzeria in Modena about my color question. They have old records for the Italver colors. They also mix and sell these correct blends.

A

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Your profile isn't filled out and therefore I could not know that you are from Germany or else in Europe.
    I strongly recommend to consult Roberto Bertaccini of CREMONINI in Lesignana (near Modena), Pietro Cremonini's is the very best paint shop for Ferraris in Europe.

Marcel Massini

12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks to you. I will contact them. And I will work in my profile, I promise!

13. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    If I may suggest, please do not use a paint with clear coat finish. Use single layer metallic paint on the car. I think on a 250 GTE it should be cellulose metal paint that should be applied to conform authenticity. People will usually tell you it is not longer possible to find these paints but this is not true. Manufacturers want to push their modern paints and most painters do not know how to apply this paints (that dry extremely quickly and require special conditions), that's why. When I see all these cars with there glossy clear coat finish, that really hurts my eyes and also that it is not correct from historical perspective too. One layer silver paints will diffuse light in a totally different way and you can see it straight away if you're used to it. They tend to fade with time but it is not a problem because that was the case also at the time. Just my humble advice. Best.

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Ferrari used acrylic paints in the 50s already. Some basic pigments ceased to exist decades ago because they were highly toxic. This is why some shades of grey in particular are impossible reproduce today. Painters will tell you they can make a perfect match for any sample. How do they do it? Easy: they lie.

If you looks at some very expensive restorations it will take 2 seconds to see that the paint has nothing to do with original paint color. Is it a bad thing? Depends on what you like; I think the most important thing is that the new paint supports the illusion of originality.

If the color is about correct, it is not very important if the actual shade is a little too light or dark as how you see it always depends on the light. You will always have more light on top surfaces, and less light on the side, so it will be utterly difficult to say what is correct and what is not. But if you use wrong color, or put too much metal into it will look incorrect in which ever way you look at it.

15. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Yes, if they say they can get the same result as original they completely lie. For example Glasurit will tell you they can reproduce the same paint, but it is not true and an expert eye will notice it right away. I call that Chinese imitations. There are still a few painters that use original acrylic paints with the original basic pigments. This is because they use very old remaining stocks. But they are increasingly difficult to source (when they can be sourced) and as a result it will soon be totally impossible to use the old paints. But they are not more than 4 or 5 in Europe as far as I know and they will certainly not tell publicly because in most countries it is illegal. In northern Europe (incl. Germany) as far as I know, no one will do it, especially metallic paints.

But I totally agree with you: everyone as its own tastes and people can of course like different things. Personally I am just a maniac of authenticity. To avoid this problem, I collect original paint cars. Increasingly difficult and expensive but the quest is worth it!

16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Is this color and code "Grigio Argento 20265 A Italver" the same they used on the 66 330 GT cars?

17. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear All,

just want to keep you updated in case this is of interest to others. I do meanwhile have
    two samples for 18940 Grigio Argento, one from PPG, one from Glasurit. I do have to take a closer look at both in different lights and compare them to the small sample I do have.

In addition Roberto Bertaccini from cremoniniclassic.it is checking if they can help. Thanks to Marcel Massini for the hint.
    Roberto agrees that the actual shade of 20265 is not easy to get by, as it is a more seldom shade.
    I will keep you udated.

I am sorry, but I can not say if the exact color was also available
    for the 330, but I am sure we do have people in this forum like Marcel who can tell so by heart.

Thanks to you all
    Christopher