PASSING OF A LEGEND | Page 3 | FerrariChat

PASSING OF A LEGEND

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by [email protected], Sep 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #51 joe sackey, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here we go. This letter to Bob Estes clarifies the aforementioned, and speaks to the dangers of testing these cars to the limit on the road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #52 CK7684, Sep 25, 2013
  3. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Well I must say I am glad to has asked my question ! :)

Gary
    Espada

4. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    Marc and Olivier, thanks for the interesting inside storys.

5. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Joe,

Funny that you mention lunch, just today I had lunch here in Burgundy with another important classic Modenese car man from the US west coast: Frank Mandarano who did a lot for classic Maseratis in the US:)
    I certainly will let you know when I come back to LA and look forward to that!

All the best,

Marc

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Olivier how is your Islero and is Le Mans Classic 2014 an eventuality?

If so will the brakes etc be up to it?

In any case best of luck,

Marc

8. Red Angel

Red Angel Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    On behalf of Bob's family, we would like to add the following:
    Bob Wallace left N.Z in 1960 with John Ohlson. They both were involved in the early Hot Rod scene in Auckland.
    He spent a bit of time working for Lotus and absolutely hated it. The workers had to tip their hats when any management went passed. The class system was very much alive and well in England.
    He previously worked with Ray Stone on the Mansell 250F at Ardmore and met the Temple
    Buell team with the Piccolo 250F of Harry Schell and Carol Shelby.
    He left England to go to Italy and ended up getting a job with Camoradi running a team of light weight Corvettes with a non existant all-alloy motor plus a couple of Birdcage Maserati.
    He crashed one of the Corvettes at LeMans and it ended part way up a tree. Bob spent sometime in hospital after the crash. The motor from that car ended up in N.Z. in Rod Coppins Techmec.
    He spent 1961 with Ferrari as Phil Hills head mechanic, when he won the F1 championship with the 1.5 litre car.
    When Lamborghini was starting Bob, very much enjoyed his time there as he pretty much had free reign on what he did. I visited Modena in 1974 not long after he had married
    Anna.
    Lamborghini had allowed him to build a lightweight Urraco and we had several fast drives over part of the old MilleMillglia course, leaping of the ground while going past an up market restaurant. The patrons would hear him coming and be out on the balcony to cheer
    him on. The car was nicknamed "Urraco Bob".
    With the rise in industrial unrest and the rise of communism, Bob and Anna came to NZ in 1975, but they never settled and about eighteen months later went to the States.
    In 1977 they were hit by a car in the side and Anna had head injuries which started a 21 year slide until her death.
    I visited regularly. A couple of years ago when I was there I said to Bob you need a hobby, his reply was "I have a hobby, I go to work".
    He had a test frame on wheels on which we used to run up the motors he had rebuilt with short exhaust and no muffler. The sound of the 12 cylinder Ferrari at full noise was enough to wake the dead!
    Bob did not suffer fools gladly, but if he liked you it was ok.

RIP BIG BROTHER
    CHARLIE AND FAMILY.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Wonderful.

10. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Thank you so much for that History Charlie.

So very sorry for your loss. I grew up reading all the Lambo books I could get my hands on and loved seeing photos of Bob's involvement.

Regards,
    Mike

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #61 joe sackey, Sep 26, 2013
    Fantastic tribute.

I'd like to add these two images. The first is the only one I know of showing Bob and his fully-completed creation, the Miura Jota in 1971. The second shows Bob in the prototype Countach in 1973 doing what he did best: testing.

12. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #62 Olivier NAMECHE, Sep 29, 2013
    a Belgian touch...

here Bob with Dallara and our 1st Belgian Lamborghini importer, one of the 2 partners of S.O.C.A.R.I.A., Mr Roisin

Joe, pay attention to the end pipe, it seems a twin tube instead of the big one we all know !!!

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #64 joe sackey, Sep 29, 2013
    The external quad-tips configuration was in fact the second of three different configurations tried by Wallace, the last being the traditional one that went into production on the P400.

The one imaged below is the first attempt at exhaust extrusion using quad pipes, facilitated by apertures in the rear hexagonal-patterned valance.

15. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My connection to the legend is he rebuilt the engine in my p400.

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I wonder whether Lamborghini would exist today without the contributions of Bob Wallace.

17. Lambo66

Lambo66 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I know Bob was a stand up guy.
    My condolences, his family and friends.

Peace.

18. 400GT4doors

400GT4doors Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Vigo, Spain
    I hope at Lamborghini they decide to put his name to a special edition on Aventador or Cabrera, like they did with Balboni. It would be great...

19. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Just wondering about this quote attributed to the late Mr. Wallace from another site (the Miura Registry) about the Shah of Iran SVJ:

"6/2004- Bob Wallace again confirms that car was supplied with studded snow tyres to Shah in St. Moritz. "The development engineer at Pirelli for high performance tyres was a fellow called Ing. Mezzanotte. The Pirelli people were very helpful- I don't know why. They did lots of special favours for the factory."

Was the Shah of Iran SVJ supplied with snow tires ? It would seem to make an already special car all the more interesting.

In any case, may he rest in peace and condolences to the family.

Regards,

Ramin

20. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    It could be nice tribute

21. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Joe, does anyone know how old Bob was?

22. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    in one post I believe it was noted that he was 75 at the time of his passing .

Gary
    Espada

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm guessing that's correct.

24. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    I too was one who read every Lamborghini book I could get my hands on. I remember fondly the references to Bob and his contributions to the company, and his antics! It makes me sad I never acted on the desire to make the pilgrimage to meet him. I built a Prova Countach replica 20 yrs ago since I could not afford an original. It was a decent one built on a tube frame chassis. I had to experience the car one way or another. I have fortunately owned a couple Ferraris, but a real Countach has still eluded me. One day it will happen! I believe Bob is mixing it up with his cohorts and loved ones upstairs currently. He would want us to be happy for him I believe. RIP Bob, and thanks for all you did in your life to inspire me and others! Ed.

25. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    He was mentioned at the recent 50th anniversary celebrations in Bologna from what I've seen on YouTube. To see him and Balboni together there would have been amazing but it sounds like he felt he'd "moved on" so perhaps he was not interested in attending personally.
    RIP Mr. Wallace.