Pebble Beach | FerrariChat

Pebble Beach

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Randy, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm going to Pebble this year, August 19th and 20th, it's my 1st time. Any veterans have suggestions on where to stay that won't already be sold out?

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I hear Ferrari might be doing something very special with The Lodge over there. Pardon me if I have this slightly incorrect. Anyway, it might be worth checking with your dealer as I think there is the opportunity to actually stay at the Lodge?! Its just a mumble I heard, but it strikes me that so many people make reservations so far in advance that maybe there could be some availability. That would be quite an experience if true.

Btw- Randy, other thoughts are Spanish Bay- always struck me as really nice- but I got stuck at the Hyatt!

This is just my opinion, but it isn't Pebble (to me at least) without doing Dawn Patrol (wake up real early on Sunday morning- like 4AM early) and go out on the lawn as they load the cars on the lawn. Its so special to be out there as the sun rises and the cars are making progress into their display locations. The organizers put out some coffee/hot cocoa and often give out hats. You can get tickets right off the Pebble website.

Then you have the usual stuff, but I think its worth making a trip to Laguna Secca to see the cars on track (note- it gets really really HOT!) and as its all asphalt walking, wear comfy sneakers.

They say the Quayle isn't quite what it once was, but I like it. And there are others, just going from memory. I've been twice so its not like Im some super expert, but, you will see Pebble is a super special place. Also there are parties. I would see what Ferrari is up to- their Casa Ferrari is very well done (or has been in the past) and also Rolls usually puts on a good show!

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    "Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded" Y. Berra.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Isn't it amazing how accurate his quotes are?

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Randy,

Check with Continental about the 70th. It is in Pebble Beach but not at the Concours. No Casa Ferrari this year as they are focused on the 70th event instead.

Jeff

6. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Actually when you are showing a car, and I had the privilege to do that twice in recent years, it is actually very nice, you can bring your chair behind your car next to the edge of the water ( if you are lucky to be placed on that side of the lawn,,like me twice,,) and you just wait for the judges. And when the judges are Sir Stirling Moss and Denise Mc Cluggage and you have time not only to talk about the car but also about their life, well it is an experience of a life time. Even better when you are asked to go to the ramp,,and you can chit chat with Marcel who sits in the car next door ( literally)!

pdxjim488 likes this.
  7. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    I go with Chubb. they have a suite and treat you like a king. If you are with Chubb, ask your representative for passes. Otherwise it can be very crowded and unpleasant. You still have to pay for admission but chubb makes it worthwhile.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Link for Ferrari's website regarding 70th at Pebble Beach
    Ferrari 70th Anniversary in the United States

The Concours d’EleganceFerrari will celebrate its 70th Anniversary in Pebble Beach in an unprecedented fashion. Priceless, classic Ferraris will not only grace the Concours d’Elegance in four Ferrari-exclusive classes, but the Cavallino Rampante will also inhabit the entire first fairway of the Pebble Beach Golf Links with 70 iconic automobiles. In addition to premiere hospitality space and VIP receptions, test drives for Ferrari clients will round out the weekend experience.

9. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    We should make a "FerrariChat meeting" this year at Monterey for a coffee. That would be crowded for sure, but would be a pleasure to meet all of you!
    Will be there from Monday to Monday.

Best,

Nico.

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    this.
    we use Chubb... but we kind of "snuck in", as the folks in the Chubb suite were their super high end clients (one guy I chatted up lived on pebble beach golf course, another had a bugatti going up for auction).

11. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    My only advice is that the dawn patrol is a great experience, but there is no place to park! The first year I was driving around in the dark in the woods at 5am. Finally just ditched the car in the woods.

If you pay up for a club ticket you can get good parking IIRC

I now have friend who is a judge who gives me a ride for dawn patrol

They have shuttles going in from downtown Carmel, but they don't start until 7

Yes, it is crowded by midday, but this is best car display in the world. Every car is 100 points.

Well worth the hassle.

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This year there will be 40 classic Ferraris in four classes, plus another 70 on display by FNA on Fairway One (near entrance and golf house).

Marcel Massini

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Parking in Pebble is always an issue. You will laugh but we rented an S-Class Mercedes and more often than not, we drove right up to parking areas, looked like we were supposed to be there, and they simply let us in! I can't say this would always work, but it was our good fortune and we had a good laugh about it.

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My dear, can't you afford a proper yacht to arrive in style?

Marcel Massini

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Are they going to do this all over again in 5 yrs, and every 5 yrs here after? (75th Anniversary seems like a bigger deal than 70). Along with 350 'Special Edition' cars every 5 yrs too?
    Order yours now!!! BUT WAIT, if you order today, we'll throw in .... :)

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    what does 70 years mean...? Nuttin' ,..
    75 years would be the real great Jubilee! The rest is stupid promotion.....

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Regarding the dawn patrol, can someone tell me where precisely one goes to experience this? This will be my first time attending Pebble Beach and I'm not certain where the entrance is staged.

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ located behind the lodge

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    If you are just there to see the cars and not to socialize, you also have the option to arrive at 2:30. By this time much of the crowds have gone, so you get really good parking, good access to the cars, and you'll see the best of snow winner live. Plus you can stick around afterward and see everyone drive off. I've done this a few times when I just didn't have the energy to brave the crush of people, and I found it a quite relaxing way to catch the show.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Great advice. Thank you.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For those that know, two quick questions:

- Best place to park for the concourse itself? Do they even have parking at the concourse itself?
    - Is parking open early enough for dawn patrol?

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

You will not find convenient parking for the Concours (years ago it was much better). Now you will be directed far away to specific areas where there are shuttle buses taking you from parking to the Lodge.

Regarding shuttle buses. In the past, they did not start early enough for Dawn Patrol, which is sponsored by Hagerty's. However....Pebble Beach might have changed that this year, since as of this year, Pebble is now charging extra for tickets that allow you entrance to the Dawn Patrol, which has ALWAYS been FREE until now.....

23. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    This is a great way to go. We used to arrive at the crack of dawn, elbow to elbow all morning, a glass champagne, and then very tired by lunch time. The last few times we arrived after the crush, brought a fantastic lunch, and watched the cars cross the stage. Easier in, easier out, and not as much of a hassle.

24. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    I was there in 2015 and took a cab/taxi from Seaside to Pebble, was something like $ 30. Driver picked us up around 04:15 (yes we wanted to be part of the Dawn Patrol) and drove us to the lodge, 50 meters from the entrance to the field. When we left in the evening within 20 minutes after our call he picked us up.

Easy and no stress!

Regards, Hugo

25. hhibbett

hhibbett Karting

Aug 24, 2008
    I'd be up for that. The problem, of course, is finding a time since there is so much going on. I was going to suggest Friday at 11 AM or 1 PM, but with The Quail, etc., it may not work. Another option would be to meet at the Ferrari tent for those going to Concorso Italiano.