Porsche in Formula 1? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Porsche in Formula 1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Im just not sure porsche could afford the appearance of losing... or struglling or not knowing what they are doing etc... bascially blundering like others have related to mclaren honda.

Honda is still going to sell the same amount of cars... as is mclaren...

Porsche might take a bit of a wack on the nose for it... or a bruised eye if you will. I am not sure they will sell less cars... I just think they can't afford... nor risk an image crisis. To fickle of a buyer

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They have nothing to gain by joining F1. They still sell a ridiculous amount of cars and SUVs at whatever they want to charge. The brand is no longer about racing...it's merely a luxury performance brand and a good one at that. SUVs and all.

I don't get why Mercedes came back to F1...sure they've been winning recently, but what does it do for their brand? I doubt it affects car sales at all. They are directly making money from it, though, but that was a huge risk making an F1 team to directly profit off of it.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    When you are winning, as Mercedes is, motor racing is good advertising.

I am sure Mercedes reached a new audience going back to F1.

Have you noticed how their range has more entry-level models to attract a new generation of buyers?

In their case, the F1 effort has paid off; I am not sure it would add much to Porsche though.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Maybe in Europe or elsewhere, but nothing has noticeably changed for Mercedes here. Only one person among my work colleagues and friends know who Lewis Hamilton is and only because of instagram (to see his playboy lifestyle, not racing). They all watch soccer oddly enough and know the big names overseas for that.

5. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    #30 444sp, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    I think the entrance of Liberty Media changed the perspectives of the brands about F1. The publicity repercussion is now much greater and massive events like those in London that are going to be 7 next year surely influence in the corporate decisions.

Porsche already won everything in Le Mans and it does not have any challenge there anymore and surely it is a great challenge to go to F1. Something like the team that won their national league and now goes for the Champions League.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In Europe certainly.

Obviously it's difficult to capture an audience from people more interested in ball games than motor racing.

But among the young car nuts, Mercedes is a new proposition. Before, only middle class folks like lawyers, doctors and middle management were interested in Mercedes.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    At the moment, the Porsche fan base, and its customers, are into sports cars and GT.
    I don't know if they will follow the Stuttgart company into F1.

Porsche has a huge following in the many GT championships here in Europe; each European country has its own Porsche Cup, for example, there are also many GT championships full of Porsche on the grid: WdeV, VLN, Blancpain, Open GT, British GT, German GT, etc...

I cannot see the Porsche followers deserting this to follow F1, where they would -at most- attend 1 or 2 GP a year, compared to a whole championship.

8. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    But all the GT programs are going to keep active, nobody says that F1 entry has to suspend all those programs.
    It's just the replacement of the LMP1 with F1

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They should come as a complete works team Engine and chassis

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But LMP1 was sports cars, F1 isn't !! It's chalk and cheese...

It's a completely different audience.

What I am saying is that Porsche fans will not necessarily be interested in open wheels, even less F1.

Beside, there are so many restrictions in F1, that I cannot see how the Porsche DNA would be preserved.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That would be the best way to have complete control, but I think they would do what MB and BMW did with F1. Start out as an engine supplier and then buy a team already up and running and make both chassis and engine. BMW should've bought a team in the UK rather than Sauber in the middle of nowhere (F1-wise) Switzerland...too hard to recruit talent that already is wanting to stay in Motorsport Valley. Same reason Toyota failed imo being out in Cologne, Germany.

12. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    I think fans will have fun I mean honestly who doesn't want to see Porsche, Ferrari, and Mercedes battle it out for both championships? It'll probably give a sport gain of a fan base to see three of the most iconic brands go full force at each other. Especially Porsche and Mercedes will be more like VW/Audi vs Mercedes so we have two Germans who will be more than happy to one up each other. I think if Porsche adopts that proves Porsche is the best of the best in a ruthless competition like F1.

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very True - UK is the best place for an F1 team to be based from.
    There were calls even for Ferrari to move to UK :)
    Ferrari against calls for UK base for F1 team | GRAND PRIX 247

14. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    #39 Tifosi Ferrari, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    At one point in Ferrari's history petty much most of the chassis was built in Britain. It was in 1980s when Enzo Ferrari was still alive. There's even interview of Enzo Ferrari of him mentioning that. As it turned out you didn't need that for Ferrari to be back. No all you needed was a certain German driver named Michael Schumacher with a certain staff employed at Ferrari to kick Ferrari into contention and eventually back into glory.
    Edit: it mentions it in the article. I think he's right honestly. What the team needs is to be patience like in the late 1990s Schmarcher period so that they can developed a car that be a frontline runner.

15. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    *wrong thread*

16. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it's too much..for a team who leaves WEC due to financial problems (not Porsche) and the dieselgate scandal to thinking if they're going to compete in one of the most expensive car championships...

It sounds me not accurate and at this moment...impossible.

However IIRC the whole 'Porsche thinking the F1 return' rumor is around 5+ years..

17. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Porsche not denying future F1 foray
    Porsche is not denying that a "high efficiency engine" already under development could become the basis of a F1 project.
    The German sports car maker shocked the world of motor sport recently by announcing that it is leaving the top Le Mans category LMP1.
    However, Porsche's entire Le Mans team is being kept together, ramping up speculation that after a move into Formula E, the next step could be F1.
    "We need all of these (LMP1) people in the future," Porsche's research and development chief Michael Steiner told Auto Motor und Sport.
    "The great team we built for LMP1 is highly motivated and represents an enormous wealth of knowledge," he explained. "So it is a good idea to have a concrete plan for the engineers, mechanics and even for the drivers."
    Exactly what the whole LMP1 team will be doing, however, is unclear, and only adds to the rumours that the next step for Porsche is a F1 engine for the post-2020 rules.
    "Like other manufacturers, we at the invitation of the FIA are participating in the discussions about the future formula one powertrain," Steiner admitted.
    "The team at Weissach is not working on an F1 engine at the moment, but it is working on a high-efficiency engine at the concept level -- without a decision about what we are doing with this engine," he said.
    Porsche not denying future F1 foray > F1 News > Grandprix.com

18. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I couldn't see them coming as a constructor but rather an engine supplier. They'd be right up there with what Merc HPE is able to do. Porsche today is at a very high technical level.

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    True. That lucky team would probably have a quasi-sponsorship deal with them or at least free engines.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1000

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They left sports cars because it was too expensive... If they enter F1 they´re gonna know what really means EXPENSIVE.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, that's how I see it too.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think they left sports cars for 2 reasons:

- There wasn't enough competition to justify the outlay.

- They couldn't sell the LMP1 to recoup the development costs of their hybrid car, like they did previously with most of their cars: 904, 906, 910, 917, 935, 936, 962, etc ...

In F1, that would be a different proposition if Porsche came as supplier as opposed to a team: there would be competition, and a commercial incentive.

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Porcshe won't bring any value to f.1, and f.1 won't do nothing for them...they don't belong there....i don't see it happen.