Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

1. I have started the new week 1 FerrariChat Update poll, please vote... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-com-update-week-1-poll.560487/
  1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The more I look at this car, the more I like it and it is a quantum leap from the Cali T. Given we know it will drive so much better as well, I simply don't understand why some have a problem with it. From an aesthetic perspective, we are past the days when all you had to consider was cladding a chassis in a good looking shape, whereas today the conflicting demands of passenger safety, pedestrian safety, advanced aero, cost etc etc all tie the designers hands. Regretfully, those days will never return and we need to adjust our eyes and expectations into the future rather than the past.

good2go, MDEL, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  2. cmack

cmack Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Germany
    After having seen the new Portofino now several times over the past 5 days I truly love the design.
    IMO Ferrari has done a great Job. I also think the Name is great for that Kind of Ferrari. From what
    the car has to deliver on (2+2, hard top roof, safety regulations, front engine etc. etc.) I almost would say the Styling
    is a masterpiece.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. maha

maha Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  4. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    +1 - some people are just caught up in the past!

5. day355

day355 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2006
    This car is a No - design, everythings give a cheap feeling. Seems like piece of differents cars in one. Absolutly terrific after seeing it...

gt_lusso likes this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This one was made of clay, I nearly broke it when I went to sit in it!! 20170908_210219.jpg 20170908_210245_001.jpg

gt_lusso and maximilien like this.
  7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. Savman

Savman Rookie

Aug 23, 2017
    Some recent YouTube of the Portofino in hi-res. Looks fantastic!

9. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great posts, as always, Mario. Thank you for the comparative pictures. Thanks everyone for sharing your pics of the reveal.

All this this grief for the looks of the 1st gen Cali is making me sad. :( I had our 2011 out at a car show this weekend and 100+ people came up to see the car, and only one mentioned the big butt - a fellow Ferrari owner! ;)

At any rate, I think the Portofino seems very well done, and may be generating less F-chat angst than any other recent reveal. I can't wait to see the driving reviews.

T

10. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bianco avus?
    T

11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Beauty of a car, can't wait to test it in the summer!

12. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    How does the Portofino sound in person ?

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am biased and feel all motors pale in comparison to a V12, but I have to say this sounded closer to an n/a motor than any other turbo I have heard. It was only revved from stationary and
    Not like a 458 but better than a Cali T and any other turbo cars I have heard. It was only obviously revved whilst stationary, but it was the closest I have heard a turbo motor sounding like a n/a, albeit it had a slightly strange bass line to it. My comments must take into account that I am heavily biased towards and inevitably compare to V12 music.

Brian L likes this.
  14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. MDEL

MDEL Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom the design evolution from the 1st generation Cali to the Portofino is enormous. I'm unsuspicious because as you know I like the Cali and always thought is a great car and the most versatile Ferrari. However this time with the Portofino, improvements made on all the positive aspects of the Cali as well as a new look, enabled Ferrari to achieved a product that seems to have it all - Great beauty of lines and style, performance and versatility.

The Portofino is very tempting…….

16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Are you really serious? That would at least explain why I was warned off when I went to try to sit in it.

17. MDEL

MDEL Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Another version of the three models rears this time with another Portofino backside picture taken from a better angle.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. pitonisheee

pitonisheee Karting

Jan 3, 2017
    Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Hetmanski

Official Video

Maggio23, SAT4RE and kevinof like this.
  19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That does indeed sound like the sound at the presentation.

Brian L likes this.
  20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks no Mario, the PF looks so much wider, and better, I don't know if it is in reality?

21. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Yes sounds great and very much like our HS!

22. smartbot

smartbot Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    They posted a few more videos about the design and technology...

Maggio23 likes this.
  23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Looks like its pretty much more of the same. If you like the California, you'd probably like this one. And, if not, you will not.

24. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I respectfully disagree. I think the Portofino has a BadAssitude that simply doesn't exist with the Californias. I would expect it to attract some buyers who would normally only be attracted to the likes of the 488 and 812.

f149 likes this.
  25. MDEL

MDEL Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tim I would risk to say the
    Tim the Portofino is 28mm wider than the Cali T and 36mm wider than the first Cali but I agree with you it looks wider. Below are the dimensions of the three models.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #124 Booker, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    I will wait to make my decision until I see it in person, but as of now I really don't like the way it looks. At first I thought it was pretty good (better than 812) but the more I look at it the more I feel it is just too busy and it looks very large. The cali was very close in size, but the lines and placement of the tail lights gave it a more narrow/slim appearance despite the huge backside

27. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #125 Booker, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    I mean look at how far apart those tail lights are...
    Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 2.46.10 PM.png
    kJt9W6A.jpg

28. wrs

wrs Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 11, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    They had a better view of the rear from the side in these videos and now I think it looks too much like the Corvette. The direct rear view is OK, the smaller lights are better but too far apart. The new touch screen looks like an improvement and the seats look great. Not a big fan of the steering wheel. I don't think the sound is any better than my HS and so I don't see anything that particularly attracts me to it even if it has a few more horses under the hood.

29. manya81

manya81 Karting

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Noted the car in the official video is too high compared with the others shown in the presentation show and Frankfurt and I have to say it doesn't look so good

30. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Agree, I had a 2010 California and have to say the new car makes my old one look bloated and very dated. Personally, for me, the Portofino is more in keeping with what a Ferrari should be than any of the California iterations. The only thing I miss is the NA engine.

31. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    of2worlds and Flo400 like this.
  32. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hopefully yes, it will drive better than the Cali T or T HS. Might get one yet I was hoping to like it more. It actually makes me like the Cali T more than I did before, and I don't love that one either. Some criticism that may land for you:

To draw an amazing Ferrari requires both a bold confidence and a delicate restraint.
    This car is simply not simple, and not unified, thus not elegant.
    This is a design geared for immediate reaction, to make a sale today.
    Too busy ... trying too hard ... not well integrated. It's actually tiring to look at over and over. Good ideas, overdone, overlapping yet not interconnected.
    A little too much of everything good, and all at once.
    Drawing with the fat pen, not the fine one.
    Immature or maybe insecure design.

People will buy all the Ferrari they can make in a year. I wish they would draw a car that's both modern and yet also exclusively elegant at the same time.

Restraint in design is not weakness.

gt_lusso and day355 like this.
  33. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 1.21.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 1.18.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 1.16.36 AM.png Needs new wheels ... the fat 5 spoke is more American muscle car than Ferrari design language. Challenger, Camaro, Charger, Barracuda, etc.

Maybe in Nero Metallic all the activity will me muted and it will come together better.

34. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I t
    Firstly, say what you like, but their engineers are at the top of their game and there is a 100% guarantee that this car will drive substantially better than its predecessors. For a start, its on an all new chassis and has lost 80kg. It will be a great improvement as otherwise they would not launch it.

Whilst I agree about elegance, I'm afraid those days are over, they are behind us. Firstly the demands made on designers from all aspects such as aero, reduce their options and secondly one gets the feeling new buyers want something a bit more extravagant and not elegant or understated, that is the way of the modern world. A pity, but I think its true and one has to change with it. Personally, I would love to go back to the days of the 275, but that's simply not going to happen, that is the past.

35. Jurassik

Jurassik Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    эскиз Ferrari Portofin

Attached Files:

36. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    For what its worth, others seem to agree

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/motor-shows-frankfurt-motor-show/opinion-new-ferrari-portofino-big-step-forward-design

37. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm not saying go back to the 275. You may be wanting that, but that's you. I want a modern car with taste and design integrity, not a marketing approach to drawing. The 458/F12/FF are a pinnacle moment and that's where they need to begin. Extend on from there. Not reinvent the wheel. The TDF works well, and that's it. I'm saying tastefully modern. Not overdone. There is nothing about the new design language that says Ferrari except the badge and nothing elegant here except the name. The balance between extravagant and elegant can be maintained. They are drawing like they have a hard time selling these cars.

Exciting first impressions are only half the story. Where is it in 10 years? You're actually making my point.

day355 likes this.
  38. 635CSI

635CSI Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I like it, but the design is a little busy, not to me a visually sufficient upgrade to make us trade in our CaliT. I will test drive one though to see how much different the weight saving and stiffness make, though again I'm very happy with how our HS drives.

As an aside, the UK press are saying that the boot/trunk fits 2 standard flight cases and therefore there is no fitted luggage being offered. Odd as the boot on the Cali T already fits two of such cases and I thought I had seen a graphic of the PF with what I assumed were 3 standard carry on cases in the boot. That would be a useful addition to the car's grand touring appeal.

39. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed BANNED

Aug 5, 2009
    Great looking car. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

40. MDEL

MDEL Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    To my eyes when looking at the pictures from behind the car, the Portofino larger separation of the tail lights and the exhausts as well as the cleaner lines of the boot, have made a considerable improvement in the aesthetics when compared with the predecessor Cali T.
    Taste is a very personal thing and if all of us liked the same car designs how boring this world would be.

41. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
  42. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2010
    In my opinion, from THE side it looks like the Jag. To busy , keeping the T

43. dustman

dustman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Much like the 812, this is a very busy design.
    And it will sell very well.
    Look forward to the return of good looking ferrari's in a decade.

44. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2010
    Do you guys think this car would be worth trading in your T for. Example, if i trade in the 16 T the dealer will give me maybe 150-160k for my car. Let's say that the new one is 240-250k. That's 80-90k more for this car. Do u guys really think it's worth that kind of money? 488 are coming down in price really fast. Let's here your opinions

45. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am not being literal about returning to the 275, I'm obviously talking about the elegance of that era. All I know is, look at the original Cali and the PF, and I love the improvement, as seemingly do the majority, backed up by the success in the marketplace. It may not be right in your eyes, but it is in many others. As someone else already posted, its just as well we all have different taste

SAT4RE likes this.
  46. maha

maha Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    f12tdf, portofino;)

47. MDEL

MDEL Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The angle from where the photos below were taken is normally one of the most difficult for any car. It's not my intention to establish a big controversy but I always thought the 812 from that angle IMO looks a mess. I put that picture on purpose so that we can see how the Portofino looks roof up from the same angle. IMO I don't hesitate to say that the Portofino from that angle compared with the 812 shows a less busy much better designed rear side and that makes me wonder how it's possible that both cars have the signature of the same man.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

saraojo and LARRYH like this.
  48. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's not about taste, it's about corporate RACE vs. Ferrari. '"Ferrari is now American, which represents the end of an era." - this is also my issue.

Lambo is the aggressive Italian. And American muscle cars are square. This is some of both, yet little if any of Ferrari.

The grilles on the Cali and Cali T both said Ferrari. What on this design says Ferrari?

49. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    What?

Wait a second...
    So, in your opinion, this is one of the ultimate modern Ferraris
    [​IMG]
    And this has nothing on it that says Ferrari?
    [​IMG]

You really don't spot any similarities between the two?

50. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This is a seriously good looking car

LARRYH and SAT4RE like this.
  51. MDEL

MDEL Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Agree…………..

SAT4RE likes this.
  52. lashedup

lashedup Rookie

Jun 1, 2015
    Found another video with quite a bit of detail. Can't stop thinking about this car...