Project CARS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Project CARS

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Looks like November for the XBOX One :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLMscFP5ec]Project CARS - The Ultimate Driver Journey - YouTube[/ame]

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Looking good for a March release this year :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgvwGLoAu8Y[/ame]

3. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    One month to go. The previews of the game seem to question the handling for the console versions... I'm hoping they iron that stuff out :eek:

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd definitely wait to see how it turns out.

Following a thread on avsforums about driveclub, at first it seemed almost everyone *****ed about various things and now they rave about the game.

I haven't picked driveclub back up since gta v came out, but need to give it a go again. My biggest problem was when the rpms would hit the Rev limiter it wouldnt shift quick enough and was far from realistic.

5. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Just got a Thrustmaster TX wheel this weekend in anticipation of this.

I've got a closet full of wheels going all the back to the original xbox and three for the PC.
    Got really tired of having to keep getting a new wheel for each gen so I held off for the xbox one until now.
    Can't wait to get home and set up my driving rig with the new wheel and play some Forza 5.
    I really hope Project Cars turns out well as driving sims is one of my favorite things to do.

6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It's been delayed another month. May is the new release date.

7. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Still waiting...

8. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    8th of May is the day it's out :)

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ordered my copy! (for PC, obviously).

Also a new G27.

New motherboard + ram on the way, only downside is that it's an AMD mobo but will either go for the FX 8350 or FX 9370!

10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #35 Str8shooter, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Placed my order on Amazon for the xbox one.

They say the release date is may 12th.

I did the 3-5 day shipping and it says I'll get it around JUNE 11th :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mine is supposed to be send on the 7th...

Also got mine for €15 (discount because of G27).

12. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    #37 piratepress, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I ordered mine today. I'll do the pre-load this week and then be ready to play it as soon as it unlocks! I have an i7-3770 @ 4GHz, 16GB DDR3 and a GTX 970.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    PS4 version will be out May 12th according the Amazon. Does anybody know if the G27 works with the PS4?

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nice! I'll also be getting an R9 280X (friend is breaking up a bunch of computers so will be getting them for a great price). Current 6950 won't really cut it.

No the wheel doesn't have force feedback with PS4 unfortunately.

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    :(

Sony is doing their best to make sure they sell as few PS4s as possible. I was ready to buy a PS4 when they first came out, but they removed backwards compatibility on games shortly before the release, so you couldn't use a PS4 if you wanted to run GT6. In fact, our old PS3 died not long ago and I had to buy a remanufactured PS3 to replace it instead of a PS4 because the PS4 was useless to me. Now, there is finally a reason to get a PS4, and the wheel isn't supported.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In all honesty if you want to have a decent sim + wheel etc I'd just go PC based. I've been playing Asetto Corsa the last few days and it's superior in every single way to GT6, except in number of tracks and cars (but more being added officially + aftermarket mods, which are free).

I played GT6 the other day and it just feels so arcade. Didn't like it one bit.

17. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think you are 100% right that this the only solution. My son is quite invested in GT6 currently (he has a team that actively participates in organized 24-hour and other endurance races), but they will likely move those racing series to Project Cars if it proves to be viable. He also wants to do iRacing in addition Project Cars.

We've kicked all our PC's to the curb in favor of Apple, and I'm quite happy to be rid of them, but I guess a PC is a "must have" for a racing platform. I did have iRacing running on an Apple MBP for a while, and it worked great for racing with the G27, but there were issues with the sound out of the Apple HDMI registering with our audio system (I think that was the fault of our AVR). We probably could have found a workaround for that issue, but just we stopped using it.

I need to find the smallest and quietest (fan-wise) PC possible that I can mount in an audio rack. I don't want a monitor, just a headless unit that is dedicated to racing that be connected to an AVR/Projector via HDMI (and that will work with a G27).

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I myself am not really an expert with Apple so can't help you there.

Reading from what you want with a computer is that it doesn't look like a random computer station sitting around the living/game room...and I fully understand that.

What you want is a HTPC, which will look exactly like it's part of your home theather system. Quietness is not a problem, watercooling has become very affordable and can be dead silent. Alternatively, noise dampening kits are easily available.

Example of a HTPC case: Zalman HD500 Series Home Theatre PC Cases

A $1000 is quite easily spend though on a decent system able to play Project Cars/Assetto Corsa at full graphics but it'll work fantastic. With Apple you'll spend 3-4x that...and no guarantee it'll work!

G27 and all other wheels will work plug and play with a PC.

19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks. An HTPC sounds exactly what I need. Do the racing games really need that much computing power? I guess it remains to be seen for Project Cars, but I know when I ran iRacing on an older MBP, it didn't seem to use a lot of resources.

Also, am I correct in assuming that they don't need very much disk space? (will probably do ramdisk rather than conventional).

There is a store in our area call MicroCenter that tailors to build-it-yourself computers -- I probably won't build it myself, but seems like a good place to get advice on an HTPC.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The horsepower needed depends on what you're trying to display it on, to a large degree. Multiple high res screens or an HMD require horsepower.

Disk space for just a few games will be fairly inconsequential.

21. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had MicroCenter price out a custom HTPC with i7-4790 processor, 512 Gb solid state disk, 16gb memory, GTX970 video card, and upgraded silent fans. Their smallest box (a Corsair, and closer to a cube in shape than a box) was still quite a bit larger than I have space for in the AV rack and the price (about $1900 including OS/AV/2-year replacement warranty, $1700 without warranty) was more than I want to spend.

I have an Asus ROG G750JM gaming laptop that I bought last year for my son, but never gave it to him because he was wasting too much time on the computer. I forgot all about it until I was at MicroCenter. It has an i7-4710 processor, but only 8GB and non solid state disk -- not sure which graphics card it has. I suspect this will be more than enough power, and (if I can configure it to operate closed) it will fit very well in the AV rack and probably be a lot quieter than a full-size HTPC.

It looks like I will be ordering the PC version of Project Cars.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That laptop should be fine still, perhaps pushing it a little regarding the graphics card. I recommend first trying it on the laptop before spending $$$ on a computer.

A Solid State Drive will mostly help with reducing loading times, so not strictly necessary to run the game. 8GB will be enough, I only have 4 at the moment.

One of my brothers has a gaming laptop and it makes more noise than my computer does. Gaming laptops have very little space so the fan works really hard to push all the hot air away. Laptops are configurable to work when closed.

23. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Mine's been ordered since 9/10/2014.

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I won't know what graphics card it has until I open the sealed package. It looks like it might have a GTX800 according to what I see online, but there seems to be some variability. My confidence was bolstered by bobzdar's feedback -- I will only have a single large projection screen rather than 3 monitors, so I'm hopeful that it will work well.

Agree that this should be the case. I have seen on my iMac 27 desktop with i7 and 16GB ram (where everything should be in memory once it's loaded given the 16GB), that the computer is getting slower over time and I can hear it accessing the disk a lot when it's slow. I think this is because of fragmentation -- Mac doesn't have a defrag tool and claims to not need it, but I don't think this is even remotely true because fragmentation seems unavoidable when there is churn on deletion and creation of files. The Mac may handle frag better, but I don't think it eliminates it. The PC has defrag tools, so probably not an issue.

This is very true. I have seen some "747 at idle" sounding laptops. There is no free lunch heat-wise I guess. I'll have to see how it works. Nothing could be louder than our old "fat" PS3, where the fans were on max all the time before it died (I would have eventually taken a lead knockoff hammer to it had it not perished on its own). The replacement "slim" (not super slim) PS3 is very quiet.

It's good to hear that it will work closed -- this will allow it to be mounted in the AV rack and will prevent him from using it as a laptop (which would be a major distraction). Also, the fact that it should only be running the racing app should keep resource usage (and hopefully fan noise) low.

Thanks for all the feedback

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    From the website it has the GTX 860M, which is a better card in most aspects that I have now. I currently don't have it at 1080p though (1650x1050). With 24 cars on track on Assetto Corsa at the start my frame rate can drop to below 20 until we get going, then it settles around 30-40. Single player or with few cars I get up to 90 FPS though. Presumably your projector is at 1080p?

My brothers laptop (brand new, I might add, and cost him €2000 so pretty damn good spec) is definitely louder than my old fat PS3 when he's playing graphic intensive games. Even with just playing games the noise is loud (newest games just ask so much from your graphics card and to a certain degree the CPU, add in the tight packaging and you're at what you said: No such thing as a free lunch with the heat!).

All that said, run it on the laptop and see how you feel...if you're okay with it there's no reason to upgrade. If not, or you want more performance...build a HTPC. I quickly specced one together and that came to around 1400 USD, and that'll easily play Project Cars etc on ultra @ 1080p

i5 4670k
    GTX 970 graphics card
    GTX 970 water cooling block
    16gb ram 2400mhz
    ASUS maximus VI motherboard
    2tb HDD
    240gb Solid State Drive
    HTPC case ''fractal design node 605''
    600w power supply

That is of course if the laptop won't play the games at a graphic level you're happy with or the noise level is too high...