Project CARS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Project CARS

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #51 peterp, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Wow -- surprised to hear that the frame rate drops when more cars are on the track with that setup. I guess it remains to be seen how the laptop will work. Yes, I will be running 1080p to the projector (could run 1080i if it was necessary).

We'll see how it does noise-wise. The laptop as a 17" monitor, so the chassis is pretty large -- hopefully that will help cooling (but your brother's monitor is probably large too).

The Fat PS3 wasn't always loud -- it used to be mostly tolerable and then only spin up to high volume on spikes. As its death approached though, it was in max fan mode all the time before the YLOD (yellow light of death) finally (and mercifully) occurred. What causes the YLOD is a breakdown of the thermal paste in the CPU. I needed to revive the old PS3 long to get my son's GT6 data off of it for transfer to the newer PS3, so I took it apart and hit the CPU hard with a heat gun. There was a certain pleasure and empowerment I felt while blasting its innards with 900 degrees using a heat gun whose fan motor was even louder than its own. That trick did revive it long enough to grab the data, though it took two heat gun passes to work.

Pretty similar to what I had spec'd out, except with i7 and without graphics card water cooling (which sounds really cool). Hopefully the laptop will work because I don't have a great place to store a full-size HTPC.

2. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I have a ****ty CPU (core 2 duo something or other), and it needs to process other cars using the CPU (when playing offline). After a few corners online with a lot of cars the frame rate improves again.
    Yeah he has a large monitor as well.

I also had the same issue on the Fat3, except I just put new thermal pasting on and it solved the issue (also had the same with my x360, though a year orso it finally did die).

i7 is not strictly necessary but if it makes no difference it's one of those ''might as well'' items. GPU watercooling will keep the noise down even more. A friend of mine has the GTX970 and it just sits on idle playing games on ultra for hours...great card.

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This gives me hope regarding the laptop.

You fixed it the right way. I didn't really want to revive ours. I was doing the happy dance when it died because it was so loud, and the 60gb disk was so full that 1's and 0's would spill out of the back of the chassis. It was only after it died that I realized I needed to grab the data, hence the heat gun. The replacement Slim PS3 is 320Gb of relative silence.

I didn't know the Xbox had the same issue. Not sure why they are making CPU's now that aren't durable -- they used to last forever (maybe that was the problem for the manufacturers that want sell more stuff).

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yeah the laptop should be playable, just maybe not at the highest graphics settings.

I think the biggest problem with xbox/playstation was the ****ty thermal paste they used, which just disintegrated after a certain time.

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I'm going to get it on X1. Seems like they are going to release it locally on the 7th :)

7. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #57 Str8shooter, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I cancelled my Amazon order and going for the Digital Edition off the Xbox Store instead.

Now for only $59.99 vs $69.17 on Amazon ( includes tax & shipping ) I'm getting the digital bundle which includes...........

The digital download of Project Cars which I can download now and be ready to play on May 12th as opposed to Amazon shipping on the 12th and receiving it whenever.

I get the " Modified Car Pack " which includes the Zonda Cinque Roadster, Ariel Atom 3 Mugen and the Ruf CTR3 SMS-R ( was also getting this by preordering off Amazon )

I get the " Limited Edition Upgrade " featuring the Mclaren F1, Sauber C9, BMW M1 ProCar, Mercedes AMG C-Class Coupe DTM and the 1967 Ford MK IV

Here's a few pics of my home made console race rig. I've since added an Xbox One and a Thrustmaster TX wheel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Nice setup! I received my STEAM key this morning and it is saying that the game unlocks around 5 PM CST today.

9. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
  10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I'll be happy if its at least as good as Forza 5.

I'll be super happy if its better than Forza 5 and it pressures Turn 10 to step up their game considerably for Forza 6.

The one thing that I don't like about Project Cars is not having Ferrari.

Here is the Launch trailer.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzv7amJEk2Q[/ame]

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If the physics are anything like forza 5 i'll send it right back.

Supposedly it's more realistic on the PC.

12. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Shouldn't be much longer. My credit card was charged (finally) for my pre-order.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mine was supposed to have been delivered this morning but still nothing.

Waste of my day off :mad:

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I received the Project Cars (PC version) download link yesterday at 1pm EST from GameStop preorder. Was hoping to surprise my son with it on day one, but haven't had time to set up the laptop and probably won't for a couple days.

I did pull the gaming laptop out of the box. It's been dead quiet during setup, but we'll how it is in use. The Windows 8 interface is weird, at best, IMO. I couldn't view the download link on Internet Explorer (just showed blank page), but it worked with Firefox. After using Mac for the last few years, I'm lost on PC, especially with Windows 8. I guess I need to figure out if the laptop came bundled with anti-virus, or if I need to add AV software before I do anything else.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    windows 8 does take time getting used to. I now prefer it over win 7 though...When I get an SSD I'll go to win 8.1 straight away.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wow you need a really strong PC for this. Unplayable on single player everything on low. I only got around 15-20 fps. Same track and everything on Assetto Corsa and I'm pulling close to 90...

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very briefly played it and found Assetto Corsa a much better feel. Lag etc can play a factor.

18. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I won't get to try it until next Tuesday but I've been reading the reviews and tips from those that are already on it.

A lot of people are saying that there is an incredible amount of controller adjustment and it takes a lot of messing around to find the setting that works best for you. One guy said he started on the default and it was almost unplayable but after messing with the settings he found one that worked for him and found it very enjoyable and challenging.

I was relieved to hear that you aren't forced to start at the bottom and have to grind through careers to get to the fast cars. You can set a single race on any track with any car under any conditions right out of the box. You can also run different careers at the same time. Very cool to have that kind of flexibility.

19. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The console version is broken. I got it yesterday.

Game is unplayable with default controller settings. Been reading different threads copying others trying to get it to feel better which I have been able to do but still twitchy on the limit. It's obvious the testers all had wheels. Majority will be playing with a controller so seems odd they didn't try to have good defaults for controllers.

Engines do sound fantastic but they also make weird sounds on the limit and there is a known bug for xbox controllers.

They claimed 60fps but if you play in the rain or have lots of cars on screen the framerate drops. I read it's an issue for the PC version as well.

Physics are better than FM5 but not sure if it's on par with dedicated PC racers.

Found out that only 1/4 of the tracks are laser scanned so some of the tracks differ to real world configuration.

The AI has no issues crashing into you.

20. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    This is always a concern and issue of mine with racing games.

I don't use a wheel, I only use a controller (D-Pad).

21. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm just astounded that this game has such a big framerate drop compared to assetto corsa. Even when I put it at ideal conditions it's unplayable for me. Until I get my upgrades it's 100% assetto corsa for me.

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I finished setup of the laptop to get it stay running with lid closed, output to projector, running Defender (no other AV). The problem is I cannot get it to recognize the G27 -- it gives an unknown device error when I plug it in. I downloaded the 64 bit version of Logitech software and it is still unrecognized. I tried downloading the 32 bit, and it doesn't download all the way (I have just the "PART" file -- keeps failing at different points on multiple attempts).

Words can't describe how much I hate Windows 8 -- everything is clumsy, and disjointed. The single tap to select is fast, but very prone to inadvertent running of programs. I accidentally bought a Bentley on eBay this morning by just trying to move the mouse (OK, I'm exaggerating, but not by much).

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The problem with Windows 8 recognizing the G27 device turned out to be the USB extension cable. A standard USB extension cable works fine for PS3 and I think also Windows 7, but for some reason Windows 8 requires an "active" USB extension cable. The laptop recognized the G27 when connected directly, but not through a standard USB extension cable.

I've never heard of an "active" USB extender and Best Buy and Radio Shack don't stock even stock them in-store, so I guess they are not that common. I case anyone else has the problem, an active cable is probably the solution. I just ordered this one on Amazon: Amazon.com: Tripp Lite U026-016 16ft 5M USB2.0 A/A Active Extension/Repeater Cable, 16 Feet: Electronics.

Sadly, I need an extension to use it in our system, so my son won't be able to try Project Cars until the active cable arrives.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hope it arrives quickly!