Radiator upgrade - Christmas gift for my 456 | FerrariChat

Radiator upgrade - Christmas gift for my 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jagbuff, Jan 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #1 Jagbuff, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Living in Texas the stock cooling system on my 456M GT always seem to be borderline with temp gauge needle slightly past 1/2 way on hot days. I have replaced the stock fan with a SPAL 3000 which pulls 20% more than stock but the impact has been minimal. The couple of time I have used the car for track work, the temperature creeps up to 2/3. Looking at the stock unit, it is looks quite small and while there is no space to make a wider unit there is an opportunity to add a couple of rows (5 vs the stock 3) with minimal modifications. Sooooo I decided to contact the experts at Ron Davis Racing to make a custom aluminum one with enhanced cooling... 6 weeks later UPS delivers - the workmanship is excellent!

I will show pics of it installed tomorrow. The good news for those interested, Ron Davis now has the pattern for the 456 so you wont have to send your unit in for them to measure (and have the car parked for 6 weeks!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Looks great. Looking forward to hearing from you on positive feedbacks with the installation. 456s in general, and most 550s suffer the bane of overheating where I come from (high humidity and high 20's to mid 30's deg.Celsius) and this may just be the cure, along with the SPAL upgrade.

3. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Wow, looks really good: can't wait to hear how it works out for you.
    I am surprised to hear though that you are having problems even after replacing the fans, which is something I was considering.
    I do not have problems with the cooling temperature, but the A/C could use some help.
    I was considering installing a bigger radiator for the A/C or adding another one in series to the existing one.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    RD make great vette race radiators. I think he has the only T1 legal oem replacement. What did that piece of artwork cost you? It is pretty! When you go up from 3 to 5 rows do you think there is any pressure drop problems using a stock waterpump?

Did you ever fix the suspension light?

5. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #5 Jagbuff, Jan 10, 2009
    After, 3-4 hours of interrupted work the radiator is in (including oil change)and fit is quite good. It only required some minor trimming of the shroud to fit the slightly wider size, since is it cold (60F outside) it is hard to determine the impact. I may take the car out to the track next month to check the impact, but will have to wait till spring is here to see how the overall system performs. I still need to do some touch ups on the shroud - but I plan to leave is aluminum. BTW, the price was really competitive, 1/3 of OEM at $1.2K.

FBB, I still have the suspension light although everything is good - I plan to corner weight the car with my new scales (Christmas gift for the race car ;) ) - then I'll take to the Indy to reset.

6. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice clean mod!

Have you gotten any photos since you lowered the car?

7. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    are the radiators the same in the M and Non Ms? tks

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Slightly different mounting brackets - Ron Davis already had the template for the 456, so you can get it with out having to send yours in.

9. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I have had the opportunity to drive the car with the new rad. At idle the temp is about the same as before (no real surprise there) but the fans do not stay on as long when they cycle and the temp drops faster - again no real surprise as the cooling is more efficient. The real surprise is what happens once the car gets moving, even in spirited driving (redlining the gears, straight into the triple digits) the temp stays at 1/3 and even under - so much so that I thought I had lost all the coolant the sensor wasn't picking anything up :) and pulled over. Anyway this bodes very well for the summer and potential track use. While really didn't have an overheating problem - it's good to know that I have extra cooling capacity especially once it get into the triple digits Texas heat.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    RIFLEDRIVER
    redid my 456, along with the heater core gaining much lost room between the Oil and water boundary connections. Not much, maybe a few percent, but by intertwining the tubes a bit better, we gained some needed capacity.

He may have some pics or better take on it than I, but if you are, regardless, not watching for exhaust leaks from gaskets or such, into the coolant or not changing the coolant enough, then these 456's may experience the same problem you indicate, regardless of tracking.

Saying this as I drive to heated areas, twice per week for, typical 1.3 hr runs one way, > 80mph with exterior temp > 85, typically, and used to have these hit temp issues too...especially with the A/C running. Now, not worried.

Good mod, and radiator btw

rik

11. Eric456GT

Eric456GT Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Brazil / Florida-US
    Full Name:
    Eric A. Di Giacinto
    Hi, I´m willing to make a radiator with Ron Davis too, but they ask me the measurements. I´ll like to make it the biggest possible to have it perform better. Anyone have this measurements? My car is a 456 GT - 1995 - manual trans!

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- What they really need is photos of your current radiator since there were differing details on hose connections during production. They already have the measurements for the 456 GT and one like Jagbuff installed should work fine without changing the basic core dimensions.

13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I agree should be the same, But the price has increased quite a bit he quote me
    $1.740..
    Daniel.

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Why doesn't that surprise me

15. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I'm sure glad they are available to us and I have no problem with profit but $500
    is a big step.
    D.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I agree and for future reference I have had PRW make rads for me, I note they have a US branch.
    https://www.pwr.com.au
    Under 1000 AUD.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Remember, that post was over 7 years ago and prices on metals have gone up disproportionately. Last ones I had heard about were $1700, about what you were quoted.

18. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I will pay there price $1740 + shipping with a good heart, but a $500 increase smells
    a bit like "Ferrari tax", Then again who would install a cheap heart pacemaker.
    D.

19. Eric456GT

Eric456GT Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Brazil / Florida-US
    Full Name:
    Eric A. Di Giacinto
    I´ve solve my problem with a brasilian radiator manufactor, costs me 1,3K. They done over my stock but they add some size. As soon as I have it install I´ll post some pics. I hope that solve my problems...

20. Eric456GT

Eric456GT Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Brazil / Florida-US
    Full Name:
    Eric A. Di Giacinto
    P.S.: My car is in Brazil, thats why I get the part here!

21. Eric456GT

Eric456GT Rookie

Feb 25, 2016
    Brazil / Florida-US
    Full Name:
    Eric A. Di Giacinto
    I´got my new radiator, with 60mm wide... it worked better, but it ain´t perfect... they suggested to remove the water thermostatic valve for better flow... What you guys think?

22. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Eric, you do not want to do that. certainly will run cooler but will do other damages.

23. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    When my oem rad goes in my 456, I'm gonna get me one of those!!!

I used Saldana all aluminium rads in my 355 which are half the size of this one and they cost me 1100$ each from Euroquipe in Illinois.

I'm very happy with them but at 1200$, I'd say Ron Davis sounds like the best option for the 456 and more bang for your buck.

24. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Do NOT remove the thermostat for I understood that removing it will open up the radiator bypass continuously, so also when hot, and send less water through the radiator instead of more.

25. bradyorlando456MGTA

Mar 31, 2014
    Bluffton, SC
    Full Name:
    Brady Orlando
    #25 bradyorlando456MGTA, Sep 2, 2017
    Yes I'm pretty sure the owner's manual states not to ever remove the thermostat.
    I purchased a Ron Davis radiator as well for my 456M and am very happy with the quality of it, it was about $1.8k about a year ago. It definitely made a big difference in cooling but I do still have issues with it getting hot when sitting in traffic/moving slow on a hot day >80F and the AC on. With the AC off it's able to cool the car back down till the fans shut off under any conditions.