Recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Bill_OBrien, Apr 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Jan,

Breathtaking!

What are your own feelings when you look at that footage?

Btw, It finally dawned on me where we connected: You drove a blue Deauville at the time, and found your parking spot at your factory taken by my brown Deauville on a very wet morning. Correct? Must have been in '82 or thereabouts...

Best,

Jack.

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    What a great project and hats off to the production of the video..... It has such an classic air to it that must have come from the culmination of such a great experience from beggining to today.

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Can't wait to see it again at Goodwood, Jan. A very well done project with a great result. All the best with your back.

Onno

4. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Where did the engine and transaxle for the car come from? The website does not give details.. ?

Incredible project!!!

5. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    IF the original sharknose 156 cars were still around today, I wonder what they would be worth.

6. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
    #31 Sports Car Digest, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ARN075

ARN075 Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Arnaud Meunier
    #32 ARN075, Sep 6, 2010
  8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jan

Very Nice Article in Forza on your car!

Best

9. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #34 Ferri, Sep 26, 2010
  10. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    As a supplier of certain ignition parts to Jim Stokes Workshops, I have had the pleasure of seeing this up close and have to say that the attention to detail is breathtaking! I was also fortunate enough to see it at the Silverstone Classic and the Revival. Poor Brian from JSW was out in the field opposite Goodwood manning their stand and could not even see it on the big screens!

11. pgrootswagers

pgrootswagers Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
  12. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Beautiful!
    It has always been my favourite F1 car!
    Unfortunately, all had been destroyed...
    But you're here, congratulations, it is absolutly perfect!
    I hope I could see it one day, on the track! :)

My grand father will give to me an old Renault 30, with a 3.0L V6 engine. I'd like to build a "monoposto" in the 60s' style, around this engine.
    Have you got advices, for the chassis, suspensions, how to work.. please? :)

13. zanti70

zanti70 F1 Veteran

Dec 9, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #39 zanti70, Sep 30, 2010
  14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #40 greyboxer, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Do some research into UK kit cars using this engine & gearbox for starters - even though some of them had two seats (such as GT40 & Countach replicas) the ideas for the suspension etc may help

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A correct 5 speed gearbox came from Sir Anthony Bamford. Building the engine was like a scavenger hunt; for example two Weber carbs were found in Los Angeles and a third carb was found in Modena as detailed in the Forza feature article (November 2010). Original period photographs were hunted down to confirm various details.
    Many thousands of hours worth of work and mind numbing attention to detail have resulted in a beautiful obsession!
    CH

16. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Apr 4, 2009
    France

Thank you, I'll do that ;)
    I had the idea that I could use other elements of the Renault, I have to examine the car :)
    Thank you very much :)

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I thought the engine and gearbox came from the (ex) Chris Rea replica.

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I don't believe so. From Forza November 2010 issue '1.5-liter V6 was assembled from many original 156 parts, including the cylinder heads, block and cam covers'.
    All they bought from the guy who built the Chris Rea car was a wooden body buck. Purchased for it's beauty rather than it's accuracy...
    Forza magazine November 2010 issue gives a nice 7 page overview of the project!
    CH

19. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    No, the Rea replica (which was dimensionally too small, having been scaled from photographs) had a Fiat Dino 2.4-Litre engine and a Hewland gearbox.

Jan's engine was part of the Obrist collection of spares and parts which was auctioned at the Goodwood Festival by Brooks on 21/6/1996 - there were two 3-litre Dino engines, two 2.4-litre and two 1.5-litre, all incomplete.

BTW the Renault 30 engine/gearbox is the original fitment for the (whisper it) P4 replica originally buit by Lee Noble.

Paul M

20. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I believe the Bosch family had the Rea replica updated with a correct engine/gearbox? 0002?

21. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Thank you, I didn't know that :)
    But I'd like to make a "monoposto", with a tubular châssis. My father gave me this idea, because when he was 17, he had one, with a 4 cylindres Renault R12 engine :p
    My grand father was a Renault dealer for 30 years :)

22. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    We didn't buy anything from the Rea car. The buck, we bought from Ross Gammie of Spyder Werkes and was designed for a recreation of chassis #0008 which had not the same dimensions as our car.

23. zanti70

zanti70 F1 Veteran

Dec 9, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #49 zanti70, Oct 3, 2010
    Jan, it was a great joy seeing you and the Sharknose finally! How was the car feeling? Especially sunday, how did it handle in the rain. I guess it was a tough choise staying out or not? I would have loved to take a shot like this one...

Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Hi Bob,

It was a tough choise indeed. It took us one year to get the ignition and carburators right. So at Saturday it was the first time the car went well, but I had a stearing wheel which was shaking like hell. We had a flat spot on the tyre which caused it. As I don't have much cars which I could fight with (most of them were 62 and younger) I decided to come in. This is a bit a problem within the HGPC, there are not much cars where I can compete with. We are not going to tune the car up because we want to let it stay original. It's different with my Stanguellini which I'm racing now for four years and Dan Setford really made it so fast I can even race with other classes.