"Replica Watches" on EBAY | FerrariChat

"Replica Watches" on EBAY

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ronfrohock, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I skim through EBay from time to time looking at fine used watches.
    It's amazing to me how the sellers don't disclose that their watches are not legit and it amazes me even more that the buyers don't ask and end up paying many thousands of dollars for a counterfeit watch.

I have contacted "sellers" many times to inquire about the originality of their offerings only to get the standard - I make no claims to the authenticity of this fine time piece.

Scammers are making a ridiculous amount of money off uninformed people.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    How do you know from an ebay ad that a watch isn't authentic?

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    The real watches advertising seems to go overboard to establish the authenticity. Things like box's and papers, original receipt, etc. Plus they are sold by people who have an established ebay account. Many of the fakes are sold by people who have no ebay sales history and oddly enough are from Manhatten or Brooklyn.
    When I inquire they either don't reply or reply with they can't speak to the authenticity. Yet people are willing to spend real dollars for the fakes. Seems like a great buisness for people who are scrupulous. Buy a quality fake for 300-500$ and sell it for thousands more.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You can report the listing on eBay. And if you buy on eBay, pay with a credit card through PayPal. Don't trust PayPal alone to help you through a dispute, they want the path of least resistance.

5. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The thing is, even papers and boxes are counterfeited, especially for Rolex watches. Try Chrono24 as it seems highly regulated.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    if they disclose ebay pulls the listing so they try to walk a fine line "to let you know it is fake w/o outright disclosing it"

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    What Archer said. Don't accept the presence of box and papers as proof of authenticity. Those are just as easy to fake as the watches themselves. Best way to know your fakes is to educate yourself on the fine details of watches. Fonts, spacing, colors, finishes, etc. The devil is always in the details.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    By far a majority of the Rolex boxes and papers for sale on Ebay are phoney baloney.

9. ebehrendsen

ebehrendsen Karting

Sep 26, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I purchased what I thought was a legit Piaget Chronograph from the 1950's (Wanted a watch the same year I was born) and through some investigaition from it to be fake. So I contacted Paypal...they treated me like I was the one guilty of selling fake watches. Lesson learned do NOT trust Paypal to help or give your money back. Fortunately, after threatening all kinds of mayhem on the seller, they finally (After several months) return my full purchase price. Oddly enough (NOT) they are still selling fake Piaget watches through e-Bay!

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    paypal is a scam

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Discover card gets them every time. If I don't buy from a dealer, that's what I use via PayPal.