Respray | FerrariChat

Respray

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Nathan76, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    So my car is in the body shop being prepped for a respray to get it back to original.
    So yesterday they start to sand off the latest coat and behind it isn't the Blue chiaro I was expecting but a rosso corsa. With no trace whatsoever of a previous layer.
    So... either the ferrari build sheet was wrong...
    The car had a full and complete bare metal respray at some point... All usual places showing that usually show original colour still show as red. I.e in the boot engine bay door jambs
    Or the car has been made from 2 donor cars.
    So I don't believe the 3rd is true as all engine build numbers and chassis numbers match.
    Either way I'm now at a loss as to whether to re spray to the factory sheet or to the Base colour present....

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Nathan,
    Fully understand the dilemma...

I have your car as originally painted BLU RIBOT 2.443.631 in my records, a darker metallic blue than Chiaro. These records are based on Maranello Concessionaires order docs and are not infallible - sometimes, though rarely, a car was delivered in a different colour to that ordered, or the order was changed.

Sometimes - and I know this has happened on more than one occasion in respect of 365 GT4 2+2s, a car was originally painted a certain colour and then resprayed at the factory prior to delivery, presumably to match a customer order. Two RHD cars that i know of were painted white originally and then blue when delivered. I'm sure there were many more.

Have you checked both factory build sheets and Maranello Concessionaires documentation to see if there's any discrepancy?

Unfortunately though I have quite a collection of old photos I do not have an early photo of your car to provide some empirical evidence (unless your car was once registered either UPH 275S or EN 999, the latter being a red 365 with sabbia (light beige) interior like yours).

Interestingly, the first owner of your car did have a red Daytona, but his Boxer was silver.

David

PS I would be interested in the engine number of your car for my records.

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I vote for what is on the build sheet you have for two reasons - 1. it will match the build sheet and won't create the questions you raised, and 2. I think red doesn't work on these cars at all. Its your car so paint it what you like and want to look at.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Scratch paint off a frame rail in the engine bay or even the underside of the hood structure. I cant see a bare metal respray going to that extent. If you could get a look under the dash by the windshield it would be the original colour. Inside door shells is another good place to look.

My factory black car is gloss black behind the dash

5. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Not at all uncommon for a car such as this to change colour between the original order and the eventual build/paint. The lead time was quite long and fashions change. Indeed, sometimes an order would be sold on (prior to the actual build) and the new owner would get the chance to re-specify the car.

The most important thing is to have the car painted to a very high standard. The second most important thing is for it to be a colour you like. Choosing the colour to match the original order sheet comes lower down, as there's no proof the car was ever that colour in the first place. (Oh. But be sure the exterior colour you choose suits the interior, otherwise you'll need a full re-trim as well!)

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #6 Il Tifoso, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It sounds like Gino may have had a bit too much vino with his lunch pasta and went Rosso Corsa by mistake... he later corrected and sprayed Blu Chiaro, per the build sheet. :)

My personal take is that Blu Chiaro is about the best color for these cars, but I am admittedly biased.

Cheers!

Ruben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Anybody have any idea as to a typical build time for our cars??

8. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    And then you've gone and thrown colour coded bumpers into the mix....
    Mine currently are but again considering going back to black..

9. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Hi David - thanks for the info. Apparently 3 of the previous owners were FOC members but I have no idea how to get their information to ask.
    I think a Blu Ribot maybe the way forward.
    I have the maranello concessionaires info from Tony but this is all I can find on the car so any additional is a bonus.
    Thanks

10. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    PM sent with what further information I have regarding past owners details.
    DVLA has no record of a colour change, however records were only computerised in the early 1980s.
    Blu Ribot is an attractive colour that suits the 365.

11. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Actually Nathan, my car is a 412 so it came from the factory with painted bumpers as they are in the pic.

Cheers!

Ruben

12. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    That looks stunning Ruben. But it is a shame the US authorities make you chaps have those ugly extra front and rear side indicators.

My UK car went to NY for a year and had to have them fitted, but I'll have them removed as part of the body restoration/respray. It'll be good to have the car back to the shape Pininfarina intended.

13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #13 Il Tifoso, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Ewan - yep, it's a bit of a shame that we have to put those nasty square lights on our beautiful cars in the US... I'm just happy that mine is able to live in CA, which has even tighter regulations. Plus it's a 5-speed manual. :)

Nathan, in case you were still doubting the Blu Chiaro, here's another pic to tempt you. :)

Cheers!

Ruben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Curious why you wouldn't at least figure it out. Its easy to determine by looking at the car. The prototype BB im restoring had a full restoration in 1988 with a bare metal respray and I was able to determine it was Rosso Dino after being told it was Rosso Corsa originally.

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    There will be original paint behind the dash or door panels for sure.

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Yor prefer. 25 year car worth $25,000. It's not going to Pebble Beach. For sure. May go to a local event. Do you thing Bubba would care about color

17. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I'll be painting mine this winter and have been thinking about removing the side indicator lights. In New York the only inspection required is a visual one by my local mechanic but I don't know if other states would require those indicators if I ever was to sell. Any thoughts?

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Fill em in. 20mins, a beer and a hole saw and you're good to go if they were needed down the road.

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Nathan,

PM Marcel M. to see if he has info on your car. He may have the answer you are looking for.

Regards,

Art S.

20. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Hi all
    So Blu ribot is the choice for the main body. The car hits the spray booth in September.
    So what code is the black rear light panel?

21. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Unfortunately, that's a questions that's been asked a # of times in the past & the only answer so far has been matte black :(
    Are you leaving the bumpers black?

22. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    The million dollar question
    I think I'm going colour coded....

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I asked because if you are going to paint the bumpers/same as car, then scratch the matte black & paint the rear valence the same like the Series 2 or 412.

24. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I painted mine body color, not a fan of the black, especially on lighter colored cars.

25. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Nathan - who are you using for the re-spray? I'm planning on having mine re-sprayed this coming winter, so need to chose someone. I already have one car in storage in Leicestershire, so using a paint shop up there would be fine for me if the price and quality were appropriate.