Restauro do 328 GTS! :D | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Restauro do 328 GTS! :D

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by RGigante, Mar 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #426 RGigante, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. joao_sv

joao_sv Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Sintra.
    Full Name:
    João Pedro.
    Parece-me muito bem amigo Rui. :)
    Continuação de um bom trabalho.
    Abraço

3. RACP

RACP Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2011
    Matosinhos-Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Rodrigues
    continue o excelente trabalho Rui, esta praticamente imperceptível...

4. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    Fantastic job !!! I love your restoration project. Congratulations mate.
    I will restore my 348 seats soon. I bought a dye kit from "liquid leather" and I have just applied the preparation products before the paint. I am thinking about painting them with an electric spray gun, how did you do this excelent work?

Regards.

5. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Thank you!

It is better to paint them with a spray gun, but make sure it sprays a very small amount. It is better to apply two or three thin coats.
    I have used a good quality paint brush because I couldn't spray a thin, controlable coat with the spray gun I have.

6. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    Thanks for the advice. I will make sure that my spray gun can apply a very thin coat, but if not I will use a paint brush as you did. ;)

7. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Jast as with any finish you spray, its best to apply a thin coat first and allow it to dry a bit. This is especially imporant with water-based paints like Leatherique. Otherwise, the solvent (water) which evaporates so slowly, will cause the paint to run. The base coat of thin paint is porous and gives the solvent a place to go, and therefore 'stick', rather than 'running'. Yes, I learned the hard way.

Great work Rui - as usual. My 308 seats are wearing well with the SEM finish. I may touch up a spot or two where the Leatherique's Crack Filler now shows a tiny bit from continued flexing. It now has a bit of patina rather than looking showroom new.

I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to ask Leatherique to add some dye to the Crack Filler, when it is to be used to repair dark colored leather. Or perhaps all that is needed is to pre-coat the repaired areas so that the paint there is a little thicker/stronger. Humm....

-rick

8. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #433 RGigante, Nov 20, 2011
  9. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    5 Estrelas !

10. joao_sv

joao_sv Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Sintra.
    Full Name:
    João Pedro.
    eheheh boa boa :)

11. matzagrin

matzagrin Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2011
    Coimbra
    Full Name:
    Bruno Pereira
    Adorava comprar uma "brinquedo" desses para a minha garagem.

É possível enviares-me infos (local de compra/preço) por PM? Obrigado.

E parabéns pela aquisição!

12. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Fantastic Rui! And that is a FAR better quote than this one - which we have also heard: "Houston, we've had a problem." :-o

As this thread has been a little quiet, I though I would share some of my recent car work with my friends on the eastern side of the Atlantic. Hopefully that's appropriate. So here goes.

+ Drove the 308GTB to work this week and it was BRILLIANT. The weather has cooled off here and the morning that I drove it in, it was quite cool. (The oil and gas industry in Texas goes to work very early by European standards; 6am) And being a carburetted car, it LOVED the cool moist air. The car ran great. I'm in love all over again.

+ The Porsche Cayman is just a fantastic daily driver. Drove it to work today as it is raining. Being a well balanced mid-engine car, the Cayman handles a lot like the 308GTB.

+ Earlier this week I drove Nancy's Series III E-Type to work. Also a nice car. I had just spent a good bit of the weekend repairing/rebuilding the charging system. One of the alternator's field wires was just hanging by the last strand into the connector. Charging was spotty, at best. I feared that I needed an expensive alternator rebuild but a little cleaning, lubrication and 5 minutes with the soldering iron put a new connector on the wire and the alternator back in full service.

+ The beautiful old Silver Shadow is doing just fine. I have a few minor repairs to make, as I move along the continual path of restoration. I need to replace the glass guides for the driver's door window as they have perished and allow wind noise. I also need to clean and lubricate the door lock mechanism.

+ And finally, the fuel pump has failed on the TR3b. I placed a fuel filter between the pump and the carbs because the location was easy and attractive. Unfortunately, the fuel tank is not as clean as one might hope and the pump was damaged by debris. I have a new pump, ready for installation, and I will install it with a pre-pump filter this time. Perhaps this weekend.

Thanks, my friends, for reading my words. It's Thanksgiving week here in the States and only about a tenth of the workforce is here at work. That limits the things I can get done, as I support the team with technical geophysics. With little to support, I have ample time to write - and have done so.

With best regards,

-rick

13. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    Hi Rick!
    Great to know that all is fine with you and your lovely cars!!
    I am looking forward to see that RR finished!! Keep up the good work!!

All the best
    Vitor

14. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
  15. matzagrin

matzagrin Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2011
    Coimbra
    Full Name:
    Bruno Pereira
    Beautiful! Nice color too!

16. RACP

RACP Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2011
    Matosinhos-Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Rodrigues
    wonderful machine!!!!!!!

17. FerrariBoyCb

FerrariBoyCb Karting

Aug 24, 2006
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Joao
    Grande Rui parabens pelo trabalho e pela dedicação.

18. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Hello Rui, Vitor,

Now that you have had the lifts for a while, what do you think of them? Are they all they promised to be? A fellow here in Houston has offered me a two-post lift for a very reasonable price... Hummmm....

-rick / south texas

19. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Hi Rick,

Is is one of those things you don't understand how you could have lived without one for so long ...
    It is a fantastic help for any DIY! Makes working on the car (underneath) soooo much easier. Even if you're just working on suspensions or brakes, it is much more confortable.
    Money well spent if you plan to keep working on your own cars!

20. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #445 RGigante, Jan 27, 2012
  21. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa

Conseguimos !!!!!! :):):):):):

Tanto demos naquela cabeça !!!

Queremos um video !!!!!!!

Já está no sitio?!?!?!?!?

:):):)

22. joao_sv

joao_sv Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Sintra.
    Full Name:
    João Pedro.
    Eejehehehehehe boa :D :D :D

23. V 12

V 12 Karting

Aug 24, 2010
    Podes crer. :D

Aguardo o resultado auditivo das novas cordas vocais do V8.

24. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    O escape original já está cá fora. Agora falta tempo para colocar o novo no sítio :(

25. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    Pooderosoo :D

Mereçe uns bons videos quando estiver ao sitio :)