Restauro do 328 GTS! :D | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Restauro do 328 GTS! :D

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by RGigante, Mar 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    Bem... lá temos de convencer o Rui a passar com o 328 no tunel de Águas Santas!!!!

:):):):):):

2. joao_sv

joao_sv Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Sintra.
    Full Name:
    João Pedro.
    Eehehe vai ter que passar :)

3. RACP

RACP Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2011
    Matosinhos-Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Rodrigues
    Parabens Rui, é um excelente "aditivo" ao seu já excelente Ferrari...

Esta cada vez melhor!!!!!! :)

4. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #454 RGigante, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Já que está parado e está, para manutenção de inverno, não resisto a mais um melhoramento: bobines e módulos electronicos novos.

Since the car is going through winter maintenance, why not another improvement: new ignition coils and electronic modules.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #455 RGigante, Jan 31, 2012
  6. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #456 RGigante, Jan 31, 2012
  7. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    IT guy :D ate a pasta dos Cpu´s leva o Ferrari :)

Bem pensado :) tambem melhora isolamento da humidade certo?

8. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    IT e electronics guy :) Sim, também isola da humidade, mas o principal objectivo neste caso é a eficiência térmica.

Como se dizia no meu tempo "é tudo engenharia" :D

9. RACP

RACP Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2011
    Matosinhos-Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Rodrigues
    o caro Rui é um artista!!!!! o seu vermelhinho vai ficar melhor que nunca!!!!!

10. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Hello Friends,

Thanks for posting your ongoing great work Rui. You are an inspiration to us all. And for the others who might monitor this thread, let me tell you of my work (since Rui, Vitor and I have all been trading ideas).

I now own five classic and/or exotic cars, with a sixth car living with me for care and feeding while the owner works overseas for another year or so. The car that is just in my care is a Mondial QV. My newest purchase is a dead '85 flying-mirror Testarossa. The fuel injection on that car is to be rebuilt and it is completely removed from the car, as it sets today. I just bought 12 new injectors. Ouch! Its a project...a GREAT project!

Here's the scuderia, saving the better fun for last:

'62 Triumph TR3b - http://www.aubard.us/tr3a/RFCorner.jpg

'69 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow - http://www.aubard.us/RR/g2.jpg

'73 Jaguar E-Type - http://www.aubard.us/Jaguar/g4.JPG

'79 Ferrari 308GTB - http://www.aubard.us/Ferrari/SideLo1.jpg

'83 Ferrari Mondial QV - http://www.aubard.us/Mondial/100_1242.JPG

'85 Ferrari Testarossa - http://www.aubard.us/TR/MVC-358X.jpg

And I'm also helping a friend, Neil Shannon, restore his newly purchased Mondial T.

'89 Ferrari Mondial T - http://www.aubard.us/T/Neil_T_high.jpg

The first problem is that I need to retire to have the time to play with the cars. The second problem is that I need to work to have the money to play with the cars - but everyone here knows that situation. :)

-rick

11. BigDaddy_PT

BigDaddy_PT Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    Just love those Testarossa phase 1 with one mirror and central lock wheels, very rare in Portugal

Nice collection you have there, and I can solve your problem, just send one of them overseas to me, I promise I'll take care :D

12. RACP

RACP Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2011
    Matosinhos-Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Rodrigues
    Rick you have a fantastic collection of cars, you are a very lucky man! I hope that this dilemma between work and free time do not make you lose the desire to enjoy these beautiful machines!

A hug from Porto, Portugal.

13. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Thanks everyone.

I have just learned that my '85 Testarossa will be delivered to me next Wednesday (not tomorrow) 15 Feb. I'm excited all over again. I now have to clean up my garage/workshop and get ready for the fun of rebuilding TWO Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection systems, installing them, tuning them and balancing them. Fun!

With best regards,

-rick

14. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Hi Rick,

I'm glad that you're getting ready for a Ferrari project :)
    I've just received the restoration kits for the 328 and Testarossa fuel distributors and also for the fuel pressure regulator of the 328. I'll send you pictures as soon as I can!

15. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Please do! I suspect the problem with the Testarossa's Bosch FI is a component that is failing randomly. The symptoms are uneven (searching) idle and dieing upon coming to a stop. Both conditions imply a leaned-out mixture. And that could be caused by the control pressure regulator, the vacuum throttle bypass or a few other things. I won't know the answer until I can begin testing the various components as I reassemble it.

OT: I also just bought a 50MHz, dual trace, digital oscilliscope. That will be a fun tool for diagnosing ignition and timing, later model Ferrari Motronic issues AND for my long-left-silent amateur radio hobby.

16. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Rick, I've given the kits to Vitor yesterday and forgot to take a picture. Sorry! Vitor, could you please post a picture of the Testarossa kits? They're not exactly the same as for the 328, so you better get the right one.

Hey, I still have one of those around, from the 80's :eek:
    I believe it is a 20MHz Hameg model. You've just given me a good idea to put it to good use :)

17. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa

18. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #468 rolindsay, Feb 8, 2012
    Here's Rui's picture of the '85 Testarossa's engine just before it was reinstalled. My first job will be to clean, test and reinstall the Bosch FI, now removed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. portogts

portogts Formula 3
    Owner Project Master

Aug 31, 2008
    Maia-Portugal
    Full Name:
    Vitor Sousa
    What a beautiful engine!!!

:) :) :)

20. RACP

RACP Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2011
    Matosinhos-Portugal
    Full Name:
    André Rodrigues
    I agree with you Victor. It looks very pretty!!!

21. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    It seems new engine :)

Very very nice :D

22. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Thank you everyone. The engine, now installed, is dusty from sitting unused for a few years but it will clean up to a high standard rather easily. There's no better way to become acquainted with a new engine than by cleaning it. Also, the installation and repairs I am about to do require clean-room conditions if future fuel system problems are to be avoided. For me, this is a big part of the fun/hobby: REALLY careful work.

When the engine was rebuilt, everything was done right with all wear related parts replaced, including all of the valve guides, a few valves, a new piston and liner (it had a damaged piston), and of course, all of the bearings. It is virtually a 'new' engine - just one that won't run. :-o

As you can see in the picture, the FI pipes were re-plated, the flexible parts replaced and the other parts cleaned. However, I expect to find a faulty part when testing begins. After all this time, I will flush all of the injector lines with carb cleaner and wash all of the other parts with clean solvent (or some proper cleaning fluid). Then testing, realignment and/or replacement will begin. Finding the guy in Holland who rebuilds K-Jetronic parts is fantastic! Thank you Rui, Vitor!!! If I need replacements, that is where I will go. Only when all of these steps are done will reassembly begin. And of course, pictures will folow.

Only six days remaining until the car is delivered to me! Yes, I am counting. I've cleaned the garage workshop twice already. :p

-rick

23. cadman

cadman Rookie

Jun 9, 2006
    Hey guys! I haven't been keeping this stuff up to date but thought I'd check back in. Drop a line when you get a chance!

Jim Perry
    [email protected]

24. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    #474 RGigante, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Hi Jim! How are you? Good to hear from you again!
    We will definitively keep in touch!

P.S: When will we meet again at the Cavallino? :)

25. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Hi Rui, Jim, Vitor, et al.,

Sure I remember you Jim. Rui and I have kept in touch ever since those first days on the Ferrari List. We've watch each other's kids grow (and be born, in Rui and Ana's case). And we have visited one another multiple times over the years since we all first met face-to-face in Maranello. Hopefully we will meet in Maranello again next year. That's the plan anyway.

A question for my friends in Portugal; I'd like to start a thread like Rui's "Restauro do 328 GTS! :D" thread here under the Portugal section. Would it be inappropriate to put "Restauro do Testarossa! :D" in the Portugal section? After all, all my friends are in this section, not the general sections. Thoughts?

My car is to arrive in Houston next Wednesday about 13:30. I will, of course, take pictures and as usual, take picture all throughout the restoration. I'd like to share them with you but want your approval before sharing them here.

With best regards,

-rick
    PS: Jim, fill us in! We haven't hear from you for almost a decade!