Restoration of Miura 1021 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Restoration of Miura 1021

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by alberto, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    One of the most beautiful classics of all time. Every minute and $ will be rewarded in your great treasure. Congratulations, it will be exciting to us all to see the final completion pictures and perhaps see it in the flesh at a show someday.

I have been a car nut since I was 12 and many decades later I can say this might be my favorite car ever.

2. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Hello Alberto.. Hope you're in good health. Any progress from the restoration..?

Best
    Greg

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Alberto, not home at the moment, but you have given me a reason to open up one of the Alfa speedos I have lying around and see what makes it tick.
    I'll let you know as soon as I get back and do the surgery.

Regards, Alberto

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #179 alberto, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Progress has slowed down a bit in the body work, but here are a few highlights. I previously showed the brass that was used to repair the passenger's door, here are the pieces of brass from that as well as the brass on the driver's side that is going to be removed. The repaired front bottom of the passenger's side (where the prior brass repair was removed). The pictures also show many of the holes on the door sill that have been welded shut so we can start anew when installing the trim. No more having to increase the sheet metal screw size until it doesn't wobble anymore. We can start with the original size.

The bottom of the doors look actually pretty good, first the driver's side followed by the passenger's side. A good portion of what you do see is adhesive from whatever it is they used at the factory. A rust converter will be poured in the seams to convert any rust hidden in there (the other option would be to remove the skin, etc., but there isn't enough rust here to merit that, the rust converter followed by a good primer cover will keep any new rust from forming.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #180 alberto, Jul 16, 2012
    Here's the first attempt at color match. The color is a bit too orange, when we placed it against the color in the passenger's side door it was pretty evident that it needs a bit more red. You can't tell from the pictures but one side of this has single stage and the other has color/clear coat. Although I love the look of the single stage better as it better simulates what was originally on the car, it's hard to beat the repairability of the color/clear coat approach. I'm almost certainly going to go that route, but it's not a decision I like frankly.

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #181 alberto, Jul 16, 2012
  7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If you can get me one of these gears, I would be most appreciative. I have found someone who indicates they can reproduce them, but I would much rather have the original piece. Let me know, Alberto. I won't pull the trigger on the reproduction until I hear back.

Saludos.
    Alberto

8. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    JE custom made..
    Correct?

9. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Nisonger Instruments may be able to help. www.nisonger.com

They were great to work with on some Smiths gauges awhile back and are a good US based source for repairs/parts.

Also, http://www.speedograph-richfield.com offers Jaeger conversions.

Have not used them personally.

10. jmela

jmela Rookie

Nov 17, 2004
    I'm guessing you've tried these guys already:

Palo Alto Speedometer
    www.paspeedo.com
    718 Emerson St.
    Palo Alto, CA 94301-2410
    [email protected]
    Tel: 650-323-0243

11. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    More like made to order, I think. These are made at the time they are ordered, but to established dimensions and standards.

Thanks. Tried Nisonger, I think they said they were keeping their old parts for their own repairs I think, in any case, no dice. I'll check out the speedograph guys.

Thanks, yes tried them too.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I just gots to ask Alberto, that 83M is a bit curious ... ?

BTW Gary B. says an old liner is a great to for keeping the bolt heads aligned just so when reassembling the axle splines onto those wheels.

Bob S.

13. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Bob:

No idea what the 83M signifies. Maybe Gary can chime in. I'll ask him about the old liners. I've not seen the old ones yet.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    82mm bore but marked as 83m?

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, I thought they are supposed to be 0.02" over bore, but 1 mm over equals 0.0394" so not sure.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The size before being milled?

17. Pirelli p7

Pirelli p7 Rookie

Jul 23, 2012
    ratio?

18. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Sorry, but I don't understand the question in the context of the quoted post. Can you expand a bit?

19. jefbuel

jefbuel Karting

Nov 1, 2007
    Belgium
    I've read and enjoyed the entire thread. Good thing I'm bald, because looking at certain pics I felt the urge to pull my hair out.
    A real page turner :)
    If in let's say the year 2113, there's one driveable Miura left, I think there's a very good chance it will be yours.
    I salute you sir.

20. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Very kind of you. I certainly hope mine is not the only one driveable one left, it would be a crime if that was the case. That said, the car will be 146 years old. How many 146 years old cars are still driveable today (i.e., from 1866)?

21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I love this thread.

Nick

22. P400

P400 Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2005
    east coast
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Wonderful photos and postings Alberto, please keep us updated. The only reason to visit Fchat is for your posts!

23. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thanks Craig. I'm happy to hear comments about the continued interest in the thread.

Body and engine work is still on-going, albeit a bit slower than I want, and I've not had a chance to take pictures of the work that has been done, thus the slowness of updates on the work. I took pictures of the old liners and a few other things, but I was not using my camera and they came out fuzzy, so I didn't post them. I need to retake them and post.

24. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    #199 surface master, Jan 21, 2013
    Alberto entrusted me with the surfacing and painting of his Lamborghini Miura last year. We got the super car in at the early part of last year and set about stripping all the original red from the car. We had the inside of the aluminum front nose and rear tail walnut shell blasted as well as had the chassis plastic media blasted. The exterior outer surface was hand stripped chemically. Once the stripping was completed the Miura was given to Tiki Alvarez of Costa Mesa, CA to work on repairing all the sheet metal imperfections as well as the aluminum repairs. Tiki is a master of fit and finish and TIG welding.

As a brief introduction to my work, you may know that my specialty runs in all cars Italian and of late it’s been mostly Dino – 206s and 246s. So I must say, it’s nice to have a “fighting bull” in the shop again. I’ve done two other Miura’s in my career; one was refurbished for the Pasadena Art Center College of Design through Gaffoglio Family Metal Crafters; and the other Miura was an “S-Model” for the late Tony Carlini. Along with the Miura restorations, I’ve had more than my fair share of Countaches since I was chosen by Newport Auto Center and Lamborghini (Newport Beach, CA) to refurbish/new car prep all the Countaches west of the Mississippi in the mid to late 1980s. To learn more about my back ground go to About « Steve Kouracos

Here are a couple never-been-seen-before photos of Alberto’s Miura in progress. I will be posting more frequently now that his project is gaining momentum.

Steve Kouracos
    Steve Kouracos

25. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009