Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Speak for yourself when you refer to Massa.

2. I thought when one posted they were speaking "for themselves".... :shrug:

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yah I don't get it. Massa is a very good driver and easily could have been a WDC.

4. Could have...??? But not.... :p

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Point is trying to diminish Massa as a driver to make Stroll look even worse is not accurate.

6. Of course not. To me, it's all silly. ;) :)

edit: Monday morning sillies.

7. single - 'still haven't forgotten my tale PM..... ;)

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur.

If you put Massa in the Merc like Bottas, I think he would be performing in a similar fashion.

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Sponsorship?

I could get a couple grand for driving a race, wasn't making money on it, but was covering most of my expenses with out spending my own money. It wasn't what in the end I wanted to pursue, as it wasn't my only talent. What I do now is a lot less dangerous. ;)

There is a difference between trying to drive fast, and being a racing driver, and few have been in a place to understand the difference.

I have much respect to those that carve out this path, and find happiness in it.

It also doesn't bother me at all, that those can afford to do it from their own funds, join the real talent out there. Motor racing needs the funding. Often, what these guys pay in, is helping a team pay some other driver to be a part of that team. This is where I found my funding from such situations.

10. No. None of the above,

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The stock reply over the years when someone asked "what wins races" hasn't really changed - Cubic inches and cubic money.

12. You're forgetting something...just a minute something........knowledge and ability.... ;)

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Oh sure . . . that helps . . . . it's getting to the point where ability makes a difference is what's difficult. Unless you're Lance Stroll. But that's already been discussed here.

14. I know. Even I'm losing hope for the kid. :(

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Yup, it is *extremely* difficult to beat horsepower.

However, drafting, and craftyness can make up for it, providing the HP gap isn't enough they break the draft freely.

Once you get into higher down force formulas, equipment becomes a much larger portion of the equation.

Still, look what Vettel did in the ROC, I think he beat everyone by >1 second in a two lap race. Vettel is serious talent on a level beyond good race drivers.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Can Stroll beat Chanoch Nissany as the worst driver f1 has ever had?

Likely no, actually, as at least Stroll knows how to remove his steering whhel after he's crashed, and he's getting better and better at it.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Worst ever? No....but he's not worthy of an F1 drive. I think on average on race pace he's around 1.5 seconds a lap slower than Massa. That's a huge gap. In Barcelona, Massa was 50 seconds behind him after his first lap mishap (not his fault), by the end of the race he was over 10 seconds ahead of him!

IMO they should've just done the Williams test (in quiet, like they did most of the testing after announcing him). After realizing he wasn't as good as hoped, do F2 and just keep testing. Eventually they'd come to the realization it's not going anywhere, and could easily buy him into LMP1 team or buy his own LMP2 team (the latter is really peanuts). Who knows, maybe that is his forte and he'd shine?

The thing with F1 is, all eyes ARE on you. I only caught the last bit of it, but Ted Kravitz wanted to ask a question to Stroll and his PR lady (some old woman) just told Ted off saying ''I won't have any questions like that!''. I mean...come on. They're literally treating him like a baby that has to be mothered. Once you enter F1 not only your talent has to be there but also the maturity to deal with criticism.

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He earned the points for the super licence ,yes he had a lot of financial support on the way of course.i think he has done his best to get where he is now.

IF he can progress further in F1 is the question,personally i would say give the guy a chance to at least complete the season.Monaco is probably the biggest challenge a driver faces in F1 and he has not raced there before.

For an 18 yr old i think he is handling the media quite well.

19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    He crashed! Superb. He hasn't lost his form. That's a relief.

20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Who else would I be speaking for? I shouldn't need a disclaimer like "The opinions posted here by me are my opinions only, I don't speak for anyone else"! Do you think we all need disclaimers, or can we safely assume that each of us is only speaking for ourselves?

WAS a very good driver, I'll concede that, and his WDC opportunity was 9 years ago. Massa post-2009 was never back to the form he had pre-2009.

In a similar fashion to Bottas? How would Massa suddenly be much faster than he was for the previous three years, when Bottas trounced Massa comprehensively?

2014 Bottas 4th, 186 pts; Massa 7th, 134 pts
    2015 Bottas 5th, 136 pts; Massa 6th, 121 pts
    2016 Bottas 8th, 85 pts; Massa 11th, 53 pts

Bottas outqualified, outraced, outscored Massa every one of the 3 seasons they were partnered. 2015 they were closer, but in 2014 and 2016 the gaps between the two drivers was big. In 2016, Bottas outqualified his teammate Massa more than any other team's driver pairing - Bottas beat Massa in qualifying in 80% of the races, for one statistic.

During their three years together, Massa was never a match for Bottas.

21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Who said much faster? I said similar fashion. Those stats are hardly a trouncing. You could throw up similar stats for Vettel and Kimi or Kimi vs Alonso. Kimi is still right there in terms of pace given the right equipment. Put Massa in the Merc or Ferrari and he would be fighting at the front. The same is not true for Stroll.

Trouncing is what Massa is doing to Stroll.

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Massa performed quite well against Bottas. Comparing Massa and Stroll to Massa and Bottas is a terrible comparison. Massa is DESTROYING Stroll. Bottas did not destroy Massa at all.

Massa actually beat Bottas in races they both finished 22-21.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  24. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Which is why Merc knocked on Massas door after Rosberg threw in the towel and left them high and dry. Oh wait. No they didn't. They went to Williams and bought Bottas out of that seat leaving Williams with the Massa left overs.

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario