Rowing 1000KM by mid June | FerrariChat

Rowing 1000KM by mid June

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That is my goal. Lofty maybe but I have to try. I have many reasons to do this, least of which is that Dan/bobafett, who recently passed away, suddenly and tragically, was the one who got me back into rowing and turned me on to the C2 rower. So here's to Dan and here's to fitness.

I started this last week and have done 56.5KM so far. I will level off at 12.5K every other day to get it done. I'm also hoping to lose about 40#.

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Go get it, buddy.

Mark

3. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thank you, sir! I am really excited about it.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cool, I'll have to get my rower out. How long does it take to do 12.5K? Are you only doing every other day?

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    As of now, yes. My 12.5K times hover around between 56-58 min.

Today was hard and I'm very tired. I really labored.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow, you're w-a-y ahead of me.

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Stick with it and just row for a while throwing in some 30 second bursts. After a while your regular pace will drop by 20 seconds. Do 500M time trials too. Do you have a Concept 2?

Also, make sure you drink A LOT of water and it will keep you from hitting the wall sooner. Stop and take drinks when you need to.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think so. I brought it back in the late '90s, so it is a Concept something. Yeah, I'll start slow. I got the heartbeat monitor. I'll take it to a certain level and hold it there.

9. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Good luck bud !!!

10. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Been rowing since late October on the C2. I'm very impressed that you can go 58 minutes! I can do 30 but then my rear starts to get pretty uncomfortable. Good luck and keep going!

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thank you kind sir! :)

It took a while to work up to it. Do 30 for a couple weeks straight then go for a 10K.

12. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I don't have a rower, but the cold and inclement weather has driven me inside so I've started on our treadmill again. I bought it for my wife 9 years ago and I just hit 500 miles on it this week.

My New Year's Resolution is to do 500 miles in 2017 which is an average of 1.3 miles per day. Of course, this will be in addition to my usual weight-lifting and outside running, so it should be a good challenge.

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Nice! Sounds like a great goal. :)

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Have you guys learned to row on the water or do you just use the machines? If just the machines, do you care about form? The reason I ask, is I was told that 'gym form' can damage certain body parts over time.

Good luck with the 1000 km Darth!

Regards,

Art S.

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Art, I had a crappy rower a long time ago and learned that the hard way. I had to sit on a donut for a year to endure that pain. Now, I have the C2 and it hasn't bothered me even a little. I did learn form from a pro but it was just little tweaks. The rower puts you in a great position and the diagram on it helps.

I'm already over 100K in a little over half this month and feeling way less fatigue on off days.

16. pbvinn

pbvinn Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    Longest piece I ever rowed was in college during the winter months, 42,000m, it was brutal. I think 3 movies played start to finish in the boat house before everyone got off their ergs. Best of luck!

17. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I row on the water. Gym form from most users is terrible. Certainly not transferable to the water. The biggest issue is to follow the sequence of legs, back and arms. Don't start leaning back until your legs and knees are fully down. Make sure to keep the load out if the back. Don't shoot the slide.

18. pbvinn

pbvinn Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    "ergs don't float"

try and imagine your body as a whip, start with your feet, and work your way up.

19. piezopaul

piezopaul Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a Concept 2 back in the 90s when the front resistance fan was a bike wheel with blades attached and you changed resistance by manually moving the chain on a cog set. Not rowing nearly as long or hard anymore...but still rowing.

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I roll down my foot and finish the leg portion of it with my heels. I generate a lot more power and speed that way.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Just found this. Way to go!

I recently hit the rower too. I'm on track to do 200,000 meters for the month of April. I set a goal April first to do 50,000 meters a week. Only three more days!

Never really got that into the C2 by now I love it. Less jarring than running for me and I like that it works the upper body as well.

22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #22 darth550, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Are you doing 5 10K's/wk or 4 12.5s? I'm back to doing a 10K every other day (with stair climbs the others) since my separated shoulder has finally started letting me. I had to cut way back for a couple months and it sucked. My total since I decided to do this is around 600K.

These are the stairs. I usually go up twice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Doing 10k five days a week. Looking at buying a rower so I can do it at home in the morning. Most I ever did in one sitting was 20k meters. Lol, damn that seat gets uncomfortable!

24. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The seat doesn't bother me at all. I'll tell you what sometimes get to me is the heel rubbing that can turn to a blister. I wear ankle supports that are in essence like neoprene socks.

How long did the 20K take you and what are your 10K times and splits?

25. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Inspirational folks! I just started rowing myself. I will do 5K during lunch and some plyometrics thrown in before and after.

I am sure my form is incorrect so I am constantly adjusting, trying to find an efficient movement. Still, I hate the idea of getting into bad habits with a new exercise.