Rust ☹️[emoji36] | FerrariChat

Rust ☹️[emoji36]

Discussion in '308/328' started by Claudia k, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
  2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Is that the only rust area you've spotted so far? Did you open the fuel filler grills and check underneath the doors? The recommendation will vary depending on the scope of how large/many areas we're addressing.

Claudia k likes this.
  3. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Actually, while we're at it, maybe snap some shots of everything around the car, and we can give you some crowd sourced guidance on where you stand.

Claudia k likes this.
  4. Benneke

Benneke Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Benny
    Those tires look like they need to be replaced as well!

Claudia k likes this.
  5. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    The tires do! They are on my list! This is the only exterior rust I’ve found so far.

-Claudia k

6. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
  7. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What concerns me is that the fasteners around the wheel well liner also look shot, which means this car either was driven through a lot of splashed water, submerged, or parked in humidity. Your year is not rust-proofed, so it's bad news for sure, and - given the position of the spot on the panel lines - panel probably is shot. Looks pretty deep. So the question is going to be: 1) Do you have a body shop sand off, fill/repair/repaint all the problem areas at once as a single job, or 2) if it's isolated to one spot only, cut out and purchase a salvage panel to weld on? Need to investigate the extent of rust issues first.

8. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    To me it looks bad. It’s been sitting 20 plus years aside from a start up my dad would do here and there weekly to keep it active. So who really knows :( I will take a better picture of the whole sides ASAP for you to have a better idea on what you think I should do.

-Claudia k

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #9 wildcat326, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Double check all around the lip of the front hood and the six inches of nose ahead of the hood, too. Your sure you checked the door bottoms & sills, and the same rear curve to the front wheel wells? Try to peek up through the front grill under the nose badge area. Look for signs of paint bubbling around the enamel hood badge and pininfarina badge on the side. Also look at the seam line between the rear wheel arch and the c-pillar "buttress." Most of these early cars have SOME superficial rust, but it's important to know the extent of the bad parts.

10. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    On it! :) I shall do so! Going to lift it up this Sunday and get under it. Really see what I’m working with.

-Claudia k

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Once you have it lifted, remove the wheels and pull the fiberglass wheel well liners, which will let you see the inside of the quarter panels. The fiberglass liners take some careful twisting and maneuvering, but pop out pretty straightforward. Watch you don't scrape the wheel well paint. If it really is just that one area, you can either find a patch panel or partial rear end clip. But I fear - if you have one spot that bad - you may be in for some other surprises.

12. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Don't get too scared by superficial rust on the chassis undercarriage. But document everything in pics for us, and we'll reconvene then.

Claudia k likes this.
  13. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    I fear this too. I will do more investigating! Thank you so much!

-Claudia k

14. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    You are amazing!

-Claudia k

15. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I wouldn't worry about it for now. Go through brakes, fuel lines, coolant hoses/system, check the electrics and get it running. Then you can worry about the bodywork. The paint looks really flat but you can get to that once you have driven it.

Claudia k and dflett like this.
  16. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Also check inside the sills by pulling up the carpet between the seats and the door. The GTBs are prone to rust there.

Claudia k likes this.
  17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That will need to be cut out and a new panel section welded in. It looks pretty deep. I would bet the inner arch support will need to be adressed as well

Claudia k likes this.
  18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I think this is the tip of the ice berg. Good luck

Claudia k likes this.
  19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Cut it out and weld in a patch panel. Using filler or fiberglass is a hack fix.

It really isn't any different than working on any other older car and quite common. I do it all week long. It could get expensive depending on how extensive it is. A spot here or there is no big deal. Considering the high cost of replacement panels I'd recommend finding a fabricator that can do it from blank sheet. Then you are basically just paying for labor.

Claudia k likes this.
  20. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Are you sure this is not a flood car? That's the nastiest engine compartment I have ever seen. If it is, you are wasting your time, start thinking "part it out".

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    She is not going to part it out. This is from her father. But it does look like a basket case requiring a labor of love, and $20K. Best of luck Miss Khalil.

Claudia k likes this.
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Looks like an 81 or an 82

23. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    It’s not a flood car. Thanks for the input I won’t be parting it out. I’ll be fixing it up step by step.

-Claudia k

355dryva likes this.
  24. Claudia k

Claudia k Rookie

Oct 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Claudia khalil
    Thank you!! :)

-Claudia k

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The presumption so far is that the rust needs to be fixed.

My opinion is to get it back on the road again and just enjoy the darn thing as-is.

The good news is that with a body that needs work, you can park carefree anywhere you want. Get a nice paint job and suddenly that all changes!

Nuvolari, kerrari, detroiter and 2 others like this.