Safety Razors vs Disposable? | FerrariChat

Safety Razors vs Disposable?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by REMIX, Apr 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is a Safety Razor Better Than a Disposable?

1. Yes, much better

2. No, it's Hype

3. Never Tried Both Options

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I am now officially beardless.

Anyone here shave with a safety razor? Is there any real benefit to them or is it a lot of nostalgic hype? The investment is pretty steep - about $150 for a handle, blades, badger brush, cream, etc. Is the benefit nominal or something that's like night and day vs a good disposable like a Fusion?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Must be nostalgia. I started shaving with my dad's safety razor many years ago. Not the full on pomp and circumstance though with bristle brush, hit towels, etc. IMO it's inferior compared to the cheap disposable razors my wife buys by the metric tonne at Costco. Perhaps with modern technology you can improve the safety razor? Now, a straight razor! I've had that done a few times. Was great. No way I would try it on myself.
    T

3. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    If you are referring to simply shaving, I think a double edge safety razor is a great choice. One can get a nice razor for 15-50 dollars and blades are dirt cheap. You can use regular Gillette shaving cream. Now if you want to get fancy, that is a different story. In terms of shave quality the de razor is as good as the latest fusion, etc but in the long run the de will be cheaper unless you don't change blades often. Nothing beats a straight blade for closeness, like everything in life it requires practice. I personally went from Braun electric to de razor and haven't looked back

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I tried the traditional double edged razors a few years ago. Did it for about a year. While I could get a good shave with it, it took longer, and seems like I was always getting little nicks, or weepers. Would always stain my wife's nice white towels...

I finally went back to the Gillette Fusion cartridges. They are expensive, but I do get a months use out of each cartridge. I also get a easier, quicker, and more consistent shave.

I still use a brush and cream, which makes for a nice experience (much better than the stuff from a can).

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #5 Streetsurfer, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I straight shave face and head, and/or use a safety razor, depending on the condition of my arms/hands. Some Dystonia and Neuropathy. Straight shaving started for me long ago, then dropped it for a while, resumed again for a decade or so, and am back to it again as an attempt at overcoming or working through the hand grip issues. The D/E and a headblade fill in when it is hard to hold things above shoulder height.
    Blades make a big difference. For my hair, and beard I like a thinner more flexible blade, on a sensitive setting on the razor, but am still going through the sample pack of blades to choose what works best.

Date code on one of my D/E safety razors, both fat boys, is F1 (1960 as I recall-the other is a 1958). I had the F1 Rhodium plated at Razor Emporium, as it was a hand me down from a favorite great uncle. '58 purchased from them Rhodium plated.

I am currently using coconut oil to shave with rather than soap lathers or creams. Working out nicely.

I hate that it is hard to find a disposable or cartridge type without the goop strip on it. They are hard to rinse out between blades, and extremely overpriced, and I don't see the need for three, four, or five blades. A D/E you open and rinse, and get to simply swap ends when one is loaded up. Mapping your hair growth helps, as well as adjusting the angle you use accordingly, depending if you are cutting with, against, or across grain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #6 Streetsurfer, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Have used a safety razor for close to 30 years, and I refuse to change at this point. It may be anachronistic (and I may be stubborn), but there's something meditative and therapeutic about it for me.

Straight razor shaves are a luxury I reserve for personal time.

Buying a good quality razor and brush set will last you a lifetime. Lots of brands and you can spend a fair bit, but, amortized, it's not that much over a long span.

CW

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Ron, you know I love you, but you're crazy dude! Straight razor yourself? Major respect.
    T

9. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks, Tom. It's not so scary once you get started, and have learned your heads bumps and difficult spots. A little bark is bound to be peeled in the learning though.

Remix, I don't see much difference in shave quality, but do appreciate the nostalgic part of it by using razors that are 50 years old or more and still doing a great job, and that they are able to be maintained rather than thrown away and replaced. On second thought, there is a spot on my neck about half dollar sized that is growing opposite the rest of the area. That was always extra work to get cut clean. The safety razor does do a better job on that than todays razors. I dont have to go over it as many times. Other perks are that you can spend less on blades, and if you have the little extra time for the prep, shave, and maintenance, you may find you enjoy the process a little more. I do find it more relaxing to use a Safety razor than a disposable or it's type. I suppose in part, it's the heft of one gliding across the skin while using a lighter grip, and it being accomplished with a single blade rather than multiples.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've been using a D/E razor for almost a year now and love it. The only time I use a mach 3 is when I fly and bring it as a carry-on. Otherwise it's D/E. For me, it's a closer shave and it's a lot less expensive.

11. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's better but it requires skill, which is something most people don't want to learn.

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I was traveling not long ago and forgot to pack a razor, bought a cheap Bic single blade disposable (white and orange). Got a terrific shave, comfortable, close, not a nick. And it stayed sharp forever. After years of using all the latest 2-blade, 3-blade, 4-blade, flexible head tungsten carbide Gillette crap that would go dull or pinch after 4-5 shaves, it seems to me that all their R&D went into making the blades as expensive as they could and engineering them to go dull as quickly as possible. I mean really ... the first blade pulls the hair out so the second blade can shave it closer? Can't believe I fell for it ; )

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Have used disposables since I started shaving in 8th grade. Used a safety here and there but prefer the disposables (in particular, Gillette Good News).

14. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Made the switch to a Merkur DE safety razor (long handle) well over a year ago.

I ain't going back.

For the cost of a single pack of gilette fusion cartridges, I bought the handle, stand, and a surplus of razors, that I have yet to even get halfway through yet.

15. REMIX

Good info guys. I haven't made the jump yet but it's something I am seriously considering. Besides, nothing smells better to me than sandalwood shaving cream!

16. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I let my hair grow for over a week without shaving. Of the three blades used-a western kamisori, a headblade, and a 1960 Gillette Fatboy, the D/E did the best job at removal without first using clippers to shorten it. I will typically clipper it short when it's grown out that long, but did this test instead to report the results.

17. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #17 Streetsurfer, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Razor Emporium has come out with their own brand Rex, D/E called Ambassador, if you care to check it out. Just got an email about it this past week.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I voted nostalgic hype. For decades there was just the double edge razor. You got to know how your own face needed to be shaved with it. The double edge razors clogged and got messy and would cut you eventually. And you needed packs of blades along with the metal handle. Now there's nothing simpler than the modern disposable razor. Just a twin blade setup (no foolish lube strips), super sharp, light, cheap, fast and hardly ever a nick. I can get five shaves out of one and then toss it. Sometimes I skip a day to give some areas a break. The Monday shave is the best as the razor is new and face has rested on the weekend.

19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That's because you haven't tried this!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YDXM28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I shaved my beard a couple years back after having it for a decade and started using a Parker long handled safety razor with a badger brush and shave cream. It makes shaving almost pleasurable. Can't go back to disposables.

20. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I use "feather" barber style razor with Dr. Harris soap. Once you get used to it you will never go back to regular razors.

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #21 bobzdar, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Wow, I'm under $100 invested in mine including a few year supply of blades (Amazon has the gillette silver blues that I like for $20 for 100). I vastly prefer the safety razor to even my 5 blade mach whatever that I use when travelling.

I sometimes go a week without shaving and that's where it really shines as it cuts through the longer growth as easily as if I've shaved the previous day while the 5 blade monstrosity clogs up.

Its amazing to me that people switched from the soap and brush to shaving cream, it lasts way longer, smells better and is much easier on my face, even with the 5 blade razor.

I have nothing to be nostalgic about as I'm in my 30's and I don't think my father was even using them anymore by the time I came around. They just seem to do a better job on my somewhat sensitive face.

If I shave against the grain with my disposable, I get razor burn on my neck to where I don't do it, but I can do it with the safety razor, and it's an even closer shave without the razor burn of the disposable. I think the blades make a difference so might be with trying a couple of different types. I tried the derby extras and they did a good job shaving with the grain but chewed up my face going against the grain.

22. REMIX

Just FYI, tried the Astra green package blades and they seem to do a good job. I shave my head with them as well and have been happy. They'll cut through a few day's growth no sweat.

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I recently purchased an Ikon X3 Slant Safety Razor and yes, much improvement. (massdrop ~40 bucks) Nostalgic? Maybe, but if so, I'm ok with that.

Looking at straight razors, which I might do in time.

Not a fan of the sandlewood myself, but stick with the Jack Black or Kiehls stuff, as I've done for years. Lack of scent or not so pungent scent is a good thing.

24. REMIX

So, OK, been shaving with a safety razor for a few months at this point. Really like it. It does NOT clog. I get about a week out of a blade and buy them in packs of 50. I shave pretty fast now, too. At first I was scared to death, but you get used to it. I think I've nicked myself once or twice - that's it.

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul