Santa came early this year with #00504 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Santa came early this year with #00504

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Nov 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. antoninosavoca

antoninosavoca Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2011
    Montesilvano Italy
    Full Name:
    antonino savoca
    Congratulation , Peter ,you are doing a fantastic , perfect work!
    Regards Antonino

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #77 pshoejberg, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys for the nice words. Part of the weekend went with ignition overhaul. I plan to keep the original 3 lobe / 2 points ignition system, but wear and tear was extensive so repair was needed. All bearings and moving parts in rotor weights system was changed out and I had to polish out wear marks in rotating cup base. Now I'm just awaiting the rivets for the main bearing support plate then the ignition can go onto the engine for a rough adjustment. Here follows a few before and after pictures.

Best, Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #78 pshoejberg, Apr 26, 2014
    It's been quite an progressing week despite the nice spring weather in Denmark. I got the new differential assembled and shimmed up, the gearbox assembled and the engine block married to the gearbox. This afternoon the differential was finally installed in the housing with the newly fabricated shims. Here are a few pictures from the latest work starting with diff assembly.

Have a nice weekend.

Peter

Working on the Superformance supplied differential: The dimensions of the differential are exactly as the original except that it is 2.00 mm wider resulting in 2 extra shims of 1.00 mm. Final diff bearing drag is checked with a 4 kg weight hanging from a 10 cm arm.

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #81 pshoejberg, Jun 19, 2014
    It's been quite dry in Northern Europe for the last 5 weeks, so my main priority has been to drive my 308 as much as possible. That means less time for workshop activity and less progress on the 246 project. Despite the nice distraction I've managed to finished off all the brake calipers, overhaul the seat rails and get started on the brake lines. I also finished the last detail on my heat shield project that included making the last shield for the passenger fuel tank. Lastly I managed to make a two day trip to Italy visiting luppi and inspecting my newly sorted interior prior shipping.

Happy driving

Peter

Packing out the well sorted interior felt like Christmas eve did when I was 5! Black Connolly leather on seats, door plates and tunnel (Sorry to the purists, original color was blue, but that's just not my favorite and I plan to keep this car). The rest of the cabin is in black vinyl. Cabin and trunk carpet materials from Henk. I'm very happy with the fabrication quality and the materials, only thing I noticed was that the carpet material for the trunk was quite a lot thicker than the original carpet. Is that something that's been observed by other Dino owners?

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #83 pshoejberg, Jun 19, 2014
  6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Looks great, only the heel pads aren`t correct for early L-series....
    Henk is just reproducing the correct rubber material if you are interested...

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the hint...any idea about when the rubber is avaiable?

9. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    Looks fantastic, Peter:). I'm finding it amusing and slightly worrying that you can rebuild your entire car to perfection while I am struggling to remove a bleedin' steering wheel:). Well, good thing we are all different.

When do you think the car will be completed? I'd love to jump in 00636 and come visit you.

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I hope within the next 4 to 6 weeks....
    I need the rubber too for my 206 GT
    please contact Henk, maybe that speeds it up a bit.....

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #89 GermanDino, Jun 20, 2014
    here also a picture of the correct net of the seat back panel.... if that`s of any interest....

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That loop pile carpet is really hard to source (it lines our 308 trunks also)...that looks pretty darn good to me.

The "thickness" you cite is most likely a stronger backing on it?

Looks very nice, to me!

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Peter,
    Looks good!
    I was surprised how damaged your seat rail structures are, I am about to have mine painted but Alberto suggested I reinforce around the front tilt mechanism as he said they bend and weaken there.
    Mine were in perfect shape but I may lay down some TIG tracks after seeing yours.

Are the rivets holding the seat back correct? I had a mixture of rivets and screws and couldn't tell.

FYI, dinoparts have the correct special M8x1.25 bolt for the tilt adjustment lever pivot and it's the same one for attaching the rear of the seat to the frame (3 per seat).

14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #92 GermanDino, Jun 20, 2014
    206 GT and early L-series had screws, see picture of #000208
    I need to check for late L-series with my Dino #01100, has still the untouched original seats....

15. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Peter, love your work and thanks for taking the time to post. :)

16. MaxR

MaxR Karting

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    Were you seats, backs, bulkhead & centre consoles originally covered in leather?

I've found some 206 square ribbed rubber for the heel mats. I will take photos of my carpet set next week for you. I have enough for at least 3 complete cars sets left over if anyone's interested. I had to buy more than I needed as a minimum order.

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #95 GermanDino, Jun 20, 2014
    that would be the correct rubber mats....
    picture and drawing Copyright Alvaro
    :)

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    and note the above heel pad is sewn with a vinyl edging.

19. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #97 pshoejberg, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Thanks all for the assistance and nice words, it's much appreciated.

My wife find it worrying that I spent so little time in the kitchen.....many times it has to do with priority and necessity. I can understand that you have learned it the hard way to keep track of your keys...-:)

My initial plan was to have the car finished next summer, but I can foresee delays, mostly because I spent to much time on the Norwegian shelf. Most realistic is winter 2014 / spring 2015. You and 00636 shall be welcome at any time. The previous owner Mr Bugge is planning his second visit to follow up on the project later this summer and it's always a pleasure to have interested guests.

I might send him an inquiry if I can't source it elsewere.....He might have the binding material for the edges as well.

Thanks, I noticed Luppi installed "wrong" type of netting, but fortunately I still have all the original interior including the old netting and it's in very good shape. I will change the netting and most likely change the rivets to screws with raised washers (I did not take any pictures of the back seats prior dismantling, but I'm 95% sure that back panels were riveted in place?), Is it chrome screws or normal blue zinc you show on the picture?

The loop pile carpet I got from Holland is a very nice quality and the color is very close to the original carpet in both my 246 and 308 trunk as you mention. Only difference is the thickness and weight, I can certainly live with that. I measured the backing to 3 mm and the loop pile to 8 mm = 11 mm in total (see picture). It's not cheap though....

I can only recommend to do what Alberto suggested. It's one of the easiest modification you can do and a few extra welds will eliinate any future risk for a bended chair support.

As mentioned higher up, I'm pretty sure the back seat panels were revited on, but I have no pictures to back that up.

I have all the original screws including the M8 bolts well taken care off and freshly zinc treated (see picture), but thanks for the lead anyway.

My car was originally delivered with a "partly" leather interior. According to Matthias this normally included more than just the seats (Matthias correct me if I'm wrong). But 00504 only had leather on the seat inserts, everything else was vinyl. I have kept the old leather seat inserts (They are undammaged after 45 years!) and every other bits and pieces of the interior to maintain the history of the car.

I'm very interested in the rubber and look forward to see the pictures, Thanks.

Thanks Matthias. The devei is in the details. I'm amazed over the level of details you guys restore these cars to. I've noticed that not even many of the professional interior companies do care much about original appearance, no names mentioned.

Do you have any further description of the vinyl color / appearance?

20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #98 pshoejberg, Jun 20, 2014
  21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the vinyl edging is the same as used on the black carpeting.
    carpet can be cut down.
    do dino not have pockets on the back of the seats?

22. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks. No pockets on the back seats.....

Regards

Peter