Scuderia Glickenhaus P4/5 Competizione | Page 131 | FerrariChat

Scuderia Glickenhaus P4/5 Competizione

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Napolis, Aug 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    AJ Foyt wasn't interested in driving for him either, recalling how Ernie MaAfee was killed...Mecum introduced them, but the chemistry wasn't there......

He did end up with a 512BBi but didn't drive it much...(now floating around the market somewhere)

2. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ROTFLMAO!

You gotta love an optomist dealing in the Stock Market these days........THANKS for that....

As a "price check" a Tommy Hilfiger Ferrari F1 team jacket was $1,500.00USD....IF you could somehow "find one".....

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unusual always, cruel never.
    ;)

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    :)

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Not yet but you never know...

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is such total bullsh!t Ferrari is pulling on you. They're scared you'll beat the 458, and rightly so. And I know I don't have to tell you Ferrari aren't the only people who make pistons and con-rods. Heck, I think the only thing factory in the first Pro Drive 550 engine was the crank, and only because they didn't have time to build one. That is just plain chicken **** what they are doing.

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Exactly as I would never utilize stock pistons and con-rod's during a rebuild. Personaly I went with JE pistons and Crower rods with my rebuild and the 'failure' weight was lifted off my shoulders. I would like to say I'm certain Jim will do the same.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQp0S5a5DbE[/ame]

:)

9. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Too bad about Ferrari acting like children. I admit to not understanding their logic (and I usually undertand Italian logic).

What's causing the debate on the evans? I'm thinking of using it in a Miura, so I am curious as to the doubt.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It may not be Race legal as generally race tracks don't want slippery fluids if not essential like oil as over flow can be slippery.

11. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thanks.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Think about the Political pressure being put on racing. There is no question that Race cars will have to be Greener in the future as will Sports Cars.

Things I think about:

Variable aerodynamics. Down force in the turns low drag on the straights.

Massive torque to create massive downforce. Engines that produce massive torque but are fuel efficient and green. Perhaps ones that can run on Biodiesel. I know Diesel sounds heretical to Sports Car Lovers and Ferrari has stated point blank that they won't be building a Diesel but I wonder. The top race cars at Le Mans are Diesel. To date there are no Diesel GT cars but I do think about a TT 3.5 liter Diesel that could run on Biodiesel and produce 500 HP and 800 Ft/lbs of torque...

I also think about tires. Could our sponsor Pirelli develop a race tire that could last 6 hours and run flat? Throwing out sets of race tires after every stint isn't very ecological and that technology could flow through to street tires. Run flats that were light weight and didn't feel like run-flats...

Carbon fiber is wonderful, strong and light weight but it's not particularly biodegradable.
    We've been in touch with a facility that has perfected Carbon Cork which has the great properties of Carbon Fiber but is 85% biodegradable...

How about KERS that recaptured energy and used it to run a cars electrical system saving HP and if it failed reverted to the alternator so the car wouldn't be incapacitated?

Re engineering the suspension to provide better steering wheel feel with the wider front tires we're running.

There are tracks I also dream about. Sebring, Spa, and of course Le Mans.
    Maybe we could even come back to the Ring and race there again.

Just some thoughts...

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Can the old racing tire carcasses be retreaded? Or what ever the outer layer of a slick is called....

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Not sure.

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I believe that this year's Aston-Martin LeMans entry is not a diesel. It will be interesting to see if its competitive with the Audis etc.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They make sandals out of old tires in many parts of the world....:D :D

Recycling of vulcanized rubber has long been a challenge....IIRC they are grinding them up as a pavement additive now.

Maybe also some flooring systems, like you see in Exercise Rooms.

17. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    I was aquainted with a fellow a while back named Roy J Carver, who invented and patented the "BANDAG" retread process, now a Franchise for retail car and truck retread dealers, nationwide (not sure if in Europe). If anyone could retread a race tire, Bandag guys would know of practicality and high speed issues.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It will but I fear it won't.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We are going to try Evans coolant fluid.

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice.

It'll be interesting to see how it helps the coolant temp in the pits.

21. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Cool stuff! Glad to hear you are exploring new and innovative technologies. The racing world needs someone like you to push the sport forward.

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Jim,

Interesting thoughts, and yes, an inevitable future.

In highly competitive racing though, I see more chance for the use of recycable materials rather than bio-degradable, i.e., use of aluminium etc. Bio degradable and clean are separate things, because the degradation process itself may release a lot of undesirable waste.

Is the use of LPG legally possible in racing?

KERS is of course a logical step, but heavy as a stand-alone installation; to me it makes more sense on a fully electrical vehicle, possibly with an IC engine to drive an alternator/dynamo. An electro-motor also has the advantage of full torque @ 0 RPM.

Just some random thoughts.

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Good thoughts. Aluminum is recyclable but I don't see it being usable for race car bodies these days so biodegradable Carbon Fiber is a good step.

The KERS we're considering would run AC/Lights/ECU's etc. and if it failed wouldn't incapacitate the car. While working it would increase MPG.

We are trying to determine if LPG would be feasible and are also investigating other possibilities.

The Times They Are A Changing and Motor Racing has to change too.

Clean air coating such as BASF's which catalyse ground level ozone into o2 are also something we're hoping to use.

24. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Interesting thoughts but personally I dont believe diesel is the way forward, purely because its virtually impossible to make a diesel engine feel "racey", red lines of 5000 rpm dont make for exciting motoring and for that reason I think its application in road going supercars will be non existant.

KERS on the other hand presents great apportunities but I have to wonder whether we havent got to the stage where the manufacturers are so keen to wheel out this new technology that durability testing will be sacrificed as a result.

Lastly one does need to wonder on a political level the motivation behind this green crusade, the interests involved and why the internal combustion engine is being singled out in this crusade.

Apologies for going off topic!

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #3275 Napolis, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    Personally I think Diesel's are quite "racey" as demonstrated by Audi and Peugeot. Diesel's make huge torque which enables designers to make cars with huge low speed downforce and go flat out through many turns. Variable aero would enable a driver to adjust this downforce as needed for turns and out for the straight. Diesel also has much more energy per unit of volume and thus better fuel efficiency per gallon. Diesel race cars have dominated Le Mans for years and unless restricted beyond reason will continue to dominate. I think a Diesel GT car would be very exciting. We are but a small team up against huge factory's some like Ferrari who have stated that they will never make a Diesel.

I'm not sure that a major manufacture would be willing to undertake a Diesel development program for a GT car although that development would be useful in developing a engine that could be used on the street. The Future is not ours to see but I remain hopefull and feel that at least it will be interesting for our small team...