SE 30 thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by kane00, Nov 24, 2006.

1. I have started the new week 1 FerrariChat Update poll, please vote... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-com-update-week-1-poll.560487/
  1. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Ok, I'd like to gather up as much information as possible as to where the 25 US cars are. Very soon, Joe and I will be planning a get together for all the SE 30's. Also, post your pictures and info. I will be uploading pics of mine as well as dino sheets from before and after modifications. And last, weigh your car!!! We want to find out where they all come in at.

Keith

2. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Glad you are enjoying the car Keith !!

What work did you do to it?

SM

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Four Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3 joe sackey, Nov 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #4 JTSE30, Nov 24, 2006
    I'll be there....

#10: In Texas since 1996

Have not weighed or dyno'd, maybe later.

-J
    10-23-04b.JPG
    10-23-04a.JPG
    Se30-4.JPG
    _#10_small.JPG

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #5 JTSE30, Nov 24, 2006
    #27 - Found in Pacific Grove CA Aug 2006
    At the time had CA license plate.

A little sad, not sure of the story. No driver window...at all! and no engine cover. At the time, had about 29,800km on the odometer.

Pics:
    #27_side_no_driver_window_at_all.JPG
    #27_no_engine_cover.JPG
    #27_no_driver_window_no_engine_bonnet.JPG
    #27_interior.JPG
    #27_window.JPG

6. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sad is right. I'm all for modifications, but the engine cover looks foolish.

Bone stock, mine dyno'd out at 490 hp. As usual with Lambo's the factory claim of 525 is a little on the opptomistic side. Greg and Steve up at Driven are working on it now and we're going to put it back on the dyno and see how it does after they're done. I will also have a weight by then.

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I promise, I did not do that...... :) Im only responsible for the first 2,800km!
    Joe

9. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Joe are you not pre-qualifiying your buyers!!!
    Well we know where the 3 black cars are, the two yellow and i think we have 4 purple and 2 reds. Any idea on the others?

10. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Actually the fellow who purchased it directly from me was a real collector and very careful, but its changed hands at least 3 times in the last 10 years.
    Joe

12. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    I took it to an elementary school one time, to pick up one of my children. Some kid ran up to the car, got down on all four, and started to pray for the opportunity to have a car like that (I asked my son the next day, what the kid was doing who had bowed down). lol

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    hmmmm. I am pretty sure that a Murci LP640 can burn an SE30 into the ashes!!! Most stupid on this videoas are the comments of the folks who saw it:

the usual stuff: "awesome" "...greatest video ever (sic.! What is great about a Diabolo sittin`in a traffic jam like the comon FORD???)..", "WHOWW!" etc., etc...! Jesus, some people can be easily satisfied.....!

Funny that the young bloke who made the video called the chap behind the wheel "...a very good driver!". Whats good driving a car in normal traffic and having sometimes problems to find the right gear as some strange noises can be heared when he shifted....? OK, the co-driver is young boy and will do better in some years (hopefully!)

Ciao!
    Walter

14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You have no idea what you are talking about. It comes down to basic power to wieight issues. The LP 640 is a pig, at over 4000 lbs. We will see what my SE 30 dynos at after a couple of simple modicfications abd then we will weigh it as well. I have been on 2 Gumball's and 3 Bullruns, we have had most every type of exotic on the runs and have been in all types of situations, track, highway, etc. Let me tell you, fat pigs don't work. My Stadale was 12 seconds, yes 12 whole seconds faster around Sebring than the closest Murcie. And yes, I drove the Murcie's as well. No comparioson. Like it or not, pure numbers don't fly in the real world. There is a reason why race cars are light, because it makes for a better, more dynamic and faster car. Unless you own or have driven these cars, don't pop off.

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    What do you know about the other yellow one?

-J

17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Darling, I drove so many race cars on streets & circuits you can only dream about over there in CA with your very nice little speed-limitations. Of course you are right that a race car has to be light and nimble as only this gives an active response.

But are you sure the SE30 is a race car?????? Also, you talk about some "...simple modifications...."! OK, do them with with the Murcielago as well and ........whoopey!

The SE30 is clearly going with understeer in corners and change after the apex to oversteer. This cost time vs against a car -like the LP640- that has 4WD and is very neutral in the same situation due to its better weight balance.

Give your SE30 to a very (!!) good driver around the circuit and then give the same man the LP640 and he will be faster on the same track. Perhaps the driving with the SE30 brings for fun, yes, this I have to admit!

Meet me on the ol`Nuerburgring...............!

CIao!
    Walter

18. Go Mifune

Go Mifune Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve

Walter,

I have to (in the most friendly way) disagree !! SInce the fastest lines are usually driven at point past the limit of adhesion, many times in a four wheel drift, that understeer and oversteer can be quite useful. The SE30 is certainly powerful (I understand 575 hp with the right exhaust and proper setup), the magic in that car comes from is enormous weight savings, 2 wheel drive, and a long list of little hidden tweeks from Lamborghini (read up about the gear cuts unique to the SE30). With the cockpit adjustable rear sway bar, you can transition the car from understeer to nuetral to oversteer on the fly.

On the topic of all-wheel-drive, while this is for sure a boon to the average driver on public roads and rally drivers, it has been decidedly left behind in the pavement racing world. It is much more difficult to control the pitch angle of the car about its vertical axis and the front contact patches are kinetically overcommited.

Walter - what do you think? I say this from an amateur standpoint, I have done track work and autocross work, but I don't have a ton of track time.... correct me as applicable.

At the end of the day, since Lamborghinis are road vehicles, what I care most about is how much fun are they to drive on roads I can access....I'll save the track for a car truly set up for it.

Ciao !!

Steve

PS - What part of Europe are you in?

19. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Keith,

Still interested in your mods...?

When I had it...it was stock...except for Cat delete, exhaust and some K&Ns.

Being a power freak myself....I am interested in what you have done...?

...JOTA convert perhaps?

Brian

20. OBI

OBI Rookie

Nov 21, 2006
    England

Was your stadale featured on a TV show about the Bullrun where you let one of the poliza drive your car around the Seabring race track?

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Steve,
    drifting costs times - as spectacular it looks! The weak point with all Diabolo (exeption: 6.0-Liter) IMO is the wheelbase between the front tyres. This is too small. This was the reason why this was changed with the 6.0-version after AUDI hopped behind the wheel.

But you are right about the weight problem the Murcielago has. Its a fat cat, yes! But the chassis of the modern car is so much ahead off the SE30 and any other Diabolo. I once drove a SV and was not very impressed due to its lack of chassis quality under hard cornering (you can ask any race driver who drove the Diabolo in this curious Lamborghini-Cup and they all will confirm this fault!). The rear axle acts different due to its wheelbase to the front axle. The 6.0 was for me the ultimate Diabolo-version. The vertical axle of any physical object is influenced to its size - and all Diabolos are big, as the Murcies are! I drove one recently and was surprised how good the car is on a circuit. I didn`t drive the new LP 640 yet, but I expect it even better!

Btw., a track test of the Murcielago on the old Nuerburgring burned almost everything down to the ground until the Porsche GT came up beating the Lambo. The circuit there is quite bumpy and this is something the Diabolo-chassis doesn`t like, also tight corners are not on the agenda of that type.

I am in Germany only 80 miles away from this greatest circuit of all!

Ciao!
    Walter

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Steve,
    drifting costs times - as spectacular it looks! The weak point with all Diabolo (exeption: 6.0-Liter) IMO is the wheelbase between the front tyres. This is too small and was the reason why it was changed with the 6.0-version after AUDI hopped behind the wheel.

But you are right about the weight problem the Murcielago has. Its a fat cat, yes! But the chassis of the modern car is so much ahead off the SE30 and any other Diabolo. I once drove a SV and was not very impressed due to its lack of chassis quality under hard cornering (you can ask any race driver who drove the Diabolo in this curious Lamborghini-Cup and they all will confirm this fault!). The rear axle acts different due to its wheelbase to the front axle. The 6.0 was for me the ultimate Diabolo-version. The vertical axle of any physical object is influenced to its size - and all Diabolos are big, as the Murcies are! I drove one recently and was surprised how good the car is on a circuit. I didn`t drive the new LP 640 yet, but I expect it even better!

Btw., a track test of the Murcielago on the old Nuerburgring burned almost everything down to the ground until the Porsche GT came up beating the Lambo. The circuit there is quite bumpy and this is something the Diabolo-chassis doesn`t like, also tight corners are not on the agenda of that type.

I am in Germany only 80 miles away from this greatest circuit of all!

Ciao!
    Walter

23. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Walter,
    One of the things we are changing are the rear springs. The car really wants to come around and the factory has the car sprung very tight in the rear while not compensating for the weight loss. Greg and Steve at Driven are alos altering the toe in and camber. These cars wern't set up real well from the factory. I'm also going with Mich pilot Sport cup tires. they should give more grip as well.

Brian, as to the rest of the mods. The exhaust is straight out the back, SVR style. The throttle bodies are being bored out and a modified vacume pump. Also with the suspencion mods I'm lowering it as well. Oh, and carbon fibre front and rear bumpers. So we will see, it will be dyno"d and weighed after.

Then I'm setting up a 1 day drive here in Southern Cal of about 150 miles so(sort of a mini Bullrun) we'll get some good ideas of how it does on the road and with other cars.

24. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    OBI,

Yes that was my Stradale. It was me at Sebring. The police were in a CL600

25. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Awsome car!!!!!
    Awsome pictures!!!!!

26. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    how can you guys blame a driver who enjoys fresh air in his car
    and avoids overheating by removing it's engine cover too

Sounds like a smart guy to me

27. JTSE30

JTSE30 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    ?
    Removing the cats will solve any heating issues of the motor.

The engine cover of the SE30 is very 'airy' and allows the engine to cool well while providing a wonderful appearance.

As for fresh air in the car, taking the entire window out is odd, to me at least. I had the factory install functional windows in my SE30, I do appreciate fresh air in the cabin and the opera of the motor too.

The way #27 is pictured above looks like it's a theft recovery more than the result of an intentional act. That's the sad part.

-J

28. JTSE30

JTSE30 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

What spring weight are you going with? And whose spring are you using?

-J

29. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
  30. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Sounds like fun !!! Keep us posted.

31. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Aaaahhh....now we are coming closer to the point! You did some modifications on the rear axle/suspension??? S, you also had that feelin`I had when driving it.

OK, you can turn a russian LADA into a hot rod if you put enough modification into it including an F16-engine --BUT: we spoke standart Lamborghini specification!
    I am pretty sure that there is also some left in the Murcielago for any modifications to set up it even better.

But all this is aftermarket. Let`s talk about what was there first - and then you clearly see that you can`t change the quality of the chassis in a car! The chassis is almost the only thing you can`t modify.

Ciao!
    Walter

32. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    John,

We're going to use 225 to start. Stock is 250 for the SE, but we think it might even have to go down to 200. We'll drive it and see how it feels. Don't know how yours handles but this one was bone stock and came around really quick. What are your camber and toe in settings? We're changing those too. I'll keep you updated and look forward to getting the two cars together.

Keith

33. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    I would like to find out more about these mods as well. Seems like a good idea to swap out for softer id springs. You using eibach id springs? Where do you have your camber settings done in CA? I am in Los Angeles as well and would like to know a good adjustment place.

34. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Aaaaw cmon guys, theres nothing like that sudden "comin' around" feeling at 6am on a Sunday morning (even before coffee) to wake you up and leave you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for the rest of the day.....thats what I loved about mine. Heehee.... Now back to the Countach Reunion thread. Sorry.

Joe

35. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    lol. joe. I had some fun with the tail too... but i would prefer not to have the tail permanently up front... lol. Anycase, i am interested in the revised spring rate. would be great help.

36. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I'll let you know as soon as I get the car back. Greg hasn't given me the specs yet. I'm in LA as well, Joe and I are planning a drive soon, so you'll have to come along.

Joe, love the tail out, but I'm usually way too hung over in the morning!!!

37. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Usual Supercar accident scenario: 2 guys out for a fast drive. Driver's last printable words are the often-used pre-accident disclaimer: "Now watch this!"......120mph....Tail comin' around....trees fast approaching....this CANT be good....."@#%@@***!!!"

LOL. Talk about a wake up call! Maybe we should go for the softer springs on second thought.

Joe

38. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #36 joe sackey, Nov 30, 2006
    And this is what happens....
    Joe
    sejota9.jpg
    se3.jpg
    se4.jpg
    se1.jpg
    se2.jpg

39. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I have been here at our shop all week, WWW.DRIVENEXOTICS.COM and WWW.CATSEXOTICS.COM working on his SE with Steve and Greg.

We just finished the springs change over last night, other items as well, but I can tell you, this is with out a doubt one of the nicest SE in the Country.

Can not wait to see what the changes do.

STEVE has been working from 7am to almost 10PM EVERY NITE this week on the car.

It will be assume!!!!!!!!!!!

Only bad thing is my fricking cars are not getting anything done to them! They are just sitting like bad step children in the corner..........

40. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    roy, would love to hear specifically whats been done to it. Maybe Steve or Greg should chime in?

Joe... seeing those pics.... man... i was pretty close to having a similar scenario on my hands. Fortunately, there was some luck on my side... the replaceable rubber lip on the front spoiler was scraped up a little bit.... :)

let me know when you guys wanna meet. I have finally some free time til the end of the year... whew good and busy year....

41. Motorcar_Maverick

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #39 Motorcar_Maverick, Dec 1, 2006
    ouch, that's painful up there. Some of my fav SE30 pics. Btw, anyone got more pics of this gorgeous silver on red one?
    1995%20Lamborghini%20Diablose%2001.jpg
    dbs_03nb.JPG
    yellow SE side.jpg
    deo takes to the track.jpg

42. Diablo_4_Ever

Diablo_4_Ever Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    Where did you find the pic of that silver one?

43. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Roy, Greg and I figured out your Miura obsession and we give you credit, it is a smart one. You need to buy 3 so as they break along our drives you can pull another off the trailer and keep rolling like nothing has happened!! LOL Even though I think Joe might have been behind this scheme for a while!

I can't wait to drive the car. Should be amazing. One of the articles i was reading last night had an interesting point. The reason behind the SE 30 to begin with was to have a base car that could compete in the FIA races alonside the F40's, McLarens, Porsche's, when turned into competition form. So Lamborghini did quite a bit different with this car. The other interesting point is that when the car came to the US, Lamborghini did not have the funds or extra cars to crash so they hoodwinked their way by saying it was a cosmetic version of the 1994/95 VT. Owners will notice on DMV sheets it comes up a 1994 VT.

Roy, I really think you're going to want to add one to your collection.

Keith

44. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Cause they're stupid.

45. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #44 wbaeumer, Dec 1, 2006
    Strosek was responsible for some of the ugliest modifications ever to be seen on cars in the early 80ies. I have no idea if he is still in the busines today (hope not!!).

Yesterday I saw a SVR at the Essen Motorshow in Essen/Germany (equivalent to the Las Vegas Motorshow and same as pimpy!). Very much modified and with a veeeery flashy paint job. Absolutley tasteless! This "duck" had also the rear "panel" from Strosek but was "styled" by a shop either here in Germany or Austria. So I assume this Strosek-guy is not "acting" anymore!

Ciao!
    Walter
    IMG_5989.jpg
    IMG_5992.jpg

46. Diablo_4_Ever

Diablo_4_Ever Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    That's not a SVR

47. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I don`t know what it is!! Perhaps its "SVR" `rd. But what I know is - its horrible!

Ciao!
    Walter

48. Motorcar_Maverick

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jason
    i dunno, i'va had it for a while, but it's a gorgeous combo on that car.

49. Motorcar_Maverick

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jason
    n yea i agree, that is disgusting.

50. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

I actually like the color of the car. Looks like a Candy red of some sort. The interior on the other hand.....

Darrell.

51. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Darrell, unfortunately the real color doesn`t come thru on this pictures. The paint job was perfectly done - but this color really looked like to be done by Santa`on drugs! Then all this chromed stuff on the car - including the chromed wheels!!!! Disgusting! Its a real Pimp-car for the chaps in baggy-jeans with tons of gold hangin`around their necks!!

Ciao!
    Walter