Seems like a good deal, doesn't it? (355 Serie Fiorano manual) | FerrariChat

Seems like a good deal, doesn't it? (355 Serie Fiorano manual)

Discussion in '348/355' started by ibesuc, Sep 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 ibesuc, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Better to budget your own major than a major that's been done for a stamp in the book for a sale.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Depends. I bought my car with a fresh major. The major was done by a highly regarded indy that the selling dealer used for all his Ferrari service. I was in touch with the indy during the major and was able to discuss issues found and what to do about them. And it was all done at dealer prices. Saved me a bundle. When the indy said I need valves and guides I was able to negotiate the additional cost 50/50 with the selling dealer which saved me even more.

As for Import Unlimited, I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to deal mostly with insurance recovery vehicles. They are pretty up front about what the sell. But I don't know anything about this car other than it's been fore sale for a good while.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Was the car is some sort of flood or insurance claim event, based on who's selling it ?

5. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Salvage Title, just ran a carfax :(

Attached Files:

6. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

That explains it!

It's shame because otherwise it has a good service history.

7. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How did you know that?

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I didn't know. I read the for sale ad and at the bottom, the seller described that the cars they deal with are from insurance claims.

9. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    The ad does not work anymore (for me), maybe you pointed someone in that direction with the posting here?
    What was the asking price, do you remember?

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    90s I think.

11. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's definitely a unique car and something that could appreciate in the future... you can convince yourself that a car like this is essentially a barn find. A salvaged title, 1 of 26 ferrari, is quite different than a salvaged title BMW. So then there is definitely something to be gained from the purchase... right? The problem I have is this: is there really something to be gained here? Is there even something to be enjoyed here or are you buying a headache you can't get rid of? The dealer is no idiot, he knows what he has. I am sure he has seen the auctions of other manual serie fioranos going for $200k, yet he is willing to let it go for $94k.

So either this is a good buy for someone who wants to enjoy a serie fiorano and perhaps a diamond in the rough... or it's a headache prone modern classic that is a part of a market that will always devalue it because its title history - no matter how much reconditioning you do to it. It's your call really... flood problems are not always PPI detectable.