Soccer (aka football) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Soccer (aka football)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by PhilNotHill, Aug 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I saw this and I am shocked. His influence on the game can't be understated - I grew up in the 70's / 80's, and knew of him, but not with the same understanding that I know of him now.

The soccer teams I coach are molded in the style of Barcelona, a style that Cruyff played a huge role in shaping and developing.

Best wishes for his recovery, hoping it wasn't diagnosed too late.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Leiscester City became Premier League champs today. Tottenham was tied by Chelsea today 2-2 which eliminated them from winning the ship. T had to win to stay in the hunt. Exciting close game.

LC has never won the ship in their 132 year history. To say the fans are ecstatic is an understatement.

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Topscorer who was working in a factory to make ends meet just a few years ago, new coach who was shunned as an outcast and picked to be the first coach fired in the league this season, relative unknown who rises to win player of the year honors, goalkeeper living in the shadow of his 5-time Champion father, newly promoted team who faced relegation a mere 12 months ago. A rag-tag group facing 5000-1 odds to win it all ... wins it all.

Sounds like a made-for-TV Bad News Bears movie. And yet it all just happened.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Stunning stuff! From almost relegated to the big win. I'm no Leicester fan, but even I have to doff my cap at this achievement.

I'm out of touch; does anyone know how their current payroll compares to the likes of Spurs & Man U etc?

In other words, are they "spending their way to the top?" - My limited knowledge these days suggests not, which makes it an even bigger achievement. Congrats!

At least my guys (Spurs) get to play in the big boys leagues next season! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    They did it with minimal payroll, making it that much sweeter!

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I temember seeing one pre-game stat which showed each individual of the Man U starting 11 made more than the entire Leicester starting 11 combined. It was something like The total money on the field was "Hundreds of millions" vs "21 million" pounds.

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! Thanks.

Makes it even more impressive.

FWIW, & contrary to some comments above, I still believe the EPL remains the strongest league overall. Sure, the Spanish & Italian leagues are strong, but overall I believe the EPL is the top of the pile.

But then maybe I'm just a little biased. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #33 PhilNotHill, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Hats off to the LC coach. He was indeed masterful.

They keep winning despite Vardy (biggest scorer on the team) being on suspension. Vardy is third highest scorer in the league with 22 goals and teammate Mahrez is 5th with 17 goals which buries the other teams with 39 goals between them.

I'd say LC are due for some salary increases soon!

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Tottenham played into Chelsea's hands. Ugly and not befitting of their persona...not surprised they didn't win the title - not an insult, more a mental thing.

All I can say is WOW. Ranieri wasn't considered the savior, and in the aftermath of Nigel Pearson, LC seemed doomed to relegation.

Instead, Ranieri played it cool - a MASTERFUL job to say the least. Vardy was out of nowhere, and many of these guys were (as some are saying) "misfits". I don't like that term, because clearly there is talent, but they were certainly cast-offs.

I had tears in my eyes. The analogy to my older girls' soccer team is incredible - a group of unwanted, cast-offs that many didn't even give a chance, and we won our league's premier flight last season in DOMINATING fashion.

Great job by Leicester City - fans, workers, players, coaches, and management!

10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    I don't think that's true actually. The EPL tv right deals makes sure every PL club has a healthy budget.

Leicester currently has an annual payroll of £35M which in European terms is still a sig. sum. It's no wonder that almost all of the PL clubs are in the top 30 list of clubs with the highest annual budget.

But we all know the Brits, the media especially, love their drama. ;)

Spanish leaque IMO, they've been leading the UEFA ranking for years, are winning everything (not just Barca and Real), Europa League as well.

And watching the Spanish football regularly, the tech.ability, even among smaller clubs is great. Both technically and tactically the Spanish leaque is superior IMO.

11. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    About a quarter of what the top 4 teams paid out. Premier League Club's*Wage Bills In 2016 (Revealed)

Great season. So cool to see them put it all together when everybody was predicting their stumble.

12. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #37 xs10shl, May 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! That's borderline insane! They spent less than 10% of Man City in xfer fees and comprehensively beat them.

I certainly don't claim to know, but I'd almost be willing to bet LC's payroll is in the same 10% of MC's range. At least for now.

Throw in the Champs league next season (big money!) and an argument could be made LC had the most effective EPL season ever. Guys will sign for a 'discount' to play in the champs league. Very interested to see what they do moving forward.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Sterling makes more than Aguero...that's insane.

15. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    The fact that anyone on MC makes more than Aguero is insane. Did you see his goal last weekend?

16. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Similar story is Rooney, although a good player, never near as good as his wage suggested.

But he probably sells a lot of shirts....

17. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Good to see the Tottenham Snotrockets completely choke and tank the end of the season finishing behind Arsenal for 21 straight years.

18. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    2 points in their final 4 games. Lots of late concessions in that span. 3 short-handed ones today in the last 15 minutes - wow, that was really, really bad.

19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #44 Mang, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Rather than start a new thread, figured I would add my thoughts on the USA situation...

Tonight we play Paraguay in a must tie or win scenario to advance at the Copa America. I want the team to lose big and here is why. I don't like Klinsmann as manager. He is not helping USA futbol. He is condescending, like the rest of the world is to USA talent. He has elected to stay with his veteran group of players, many not even American really. C'mon, find and develop the young talented players, and train them in your system to perform. Oh, guess what, Klinsmann has no system. He takes the best players in his opinion and finds a way to get them on the field together and hopes for the best, many are out of position every time they start for the US team. He runs the hell out of everyone in camps to prepare for any game with the hope that better fitness and athleticism will usurp talent and tactical smarts, doesn't work. I would hate to play for him personally. My wish is for him to be fired and we hire an American coach, like Bruce Arena, Bob Bradley, or Steve Sampson...all AMERICANS who understood the underdog role, but most importantly someone who knows tactics/systems of play. If we lose tonite, I could see him get the axe. Sorry, pulling for defeat this go around.

...and if we lose and they don't fire him, yikes! I'm torn, only way to get him out is to lose, and I hate to wish that upon the lads. :/

If we prevail, it's more of going nowhere under his tenure imho. And expect all the older veteran players to keep us in mediocrity for another 2 years of qualifications.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Eatin my words, :/
    Instead of losing the job, Klinsmann and company have us in semifinals now. I'll humbly wish the boys well. It's Argentina's tourney to lose, but watch out Mexico and USA now, lol.

21. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    IT was USA's game to lose today, given the venue and momentum they carried in to it. And they hung tough - not a pretty win, but who cares, so long as you win. Acknowledging that several teams are coasting at this tournament, it's still great to see the US bounce back from a lackluster opening-day loss, and win 3 (very different) games in a row.

And the US now finally has a decent back four, which will keep us in games a little bit longer.

That said, I'd wish for more from Michael Bradley, whose star seems to be fading all to quickly.

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Enjoyed the ecuador usa match despite not being a soccer fan. Too bad usa will probably have to face Argentina next round. Will be fun to watch

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    For some reason I called this final to be penalties with messi missing the shot for the loss. Know next to nothing about soccer but feel messi is cursed for Argentina

is there another great athlete that has these kind of finals? Used to be A rod but he finally came thru. Maybe thhe russian hockey player on capitals?

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Horribly officiated game.

25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Couldnt tell how refs did but a lot of aggressive complaining.

alex ovechkin is other cursed great player like messi