Sony XR F20 Radio Repair | FerrariChat

Sony XR F20 Radio Repair

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by BillN, May 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    Hi,
    My Radio has swallowed a Tape and doesn't seem to communicate with the CD player either. I am wondering if anyone has had any success finding a repair facility recently that works on these units. I called Sony and they told me it was too old, and directed me to United Radio. Untied came back with the same answer , they no longer service that product.
    They suggested I go back to Sony. Just wondered if anyone has had a radio of this type and vintage (1998) repaired successfully recently.
    thanks,
    Bill

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bill,

My Sony XR-F20 was repaired eight years ago by SONY in their Texas facility. They no longer repair them. Three years ago I sent my radio to Factory Car Stereo Repair in Florida for repairs. Here's their website: Ferrari Car Stereo Repair

Barry

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
  4. JSP

JSP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sony has built many very bad products as did Bose. Stay away as it is difficult to find someone to work on them. I have a number of both companies' products that do not work.

I also have seven Battery Tenders that do not work. Wal Mart sells one for about $20 that works great.....none of the seven that replaced the BT's have failed.

My 2 cents.

5. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    He wants to repair it because it's the original factory-installed stereo.

6. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    Hi folks, Yes I am a stickler for originality, hence why I am searching for a repair facility. Thanks for the recommendations I will try them in the morning. Trying to get the car ready for the FCA concours in June. Much appreciated.
    Bill

7. JSP

JSP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I understand that.

Just my 2 cent comment on sub standard products.

8. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
  9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I do repairs and modifications on Ferrari stereos like the 456GT XTC-F11 -anything electronic actually- and I am sure I can do yours too. However shipping cost will probably be prohibitively expensive.

1998 is too old? lol. :D

10. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
  11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can anyone repair the worn buttons? I would love to have mine reprinted.

12. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    You might try StickyRx or StickyNoMore. I imagine you'd have to remove the buttons though. Worth giving either of these vendors a call.

13. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    Thank you for the additional options, I have spoken with the folks at Factory car Stereo repair and am sending it off to them today, I will post the results.
    Bill

14. sharknose67

sharknose67 Formula 3

Dec 31, 2007
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ed
    My original radio also stopped working, just before taking off to Italy for a week :(

Curious if there is a repairshop in the Netherlands.

15. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Hey Barry,
    How much did it cost to repair the XR F20? Mine looks to be in perfect shape, but it's not powering on. Had it pulled to see if there was an issue and was told to bring it to a shop.

I'm in the Fairfield County Connecticut are an the radio is from a '97 550 Maranello.

16. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Just saw the websites suggestion for fixing the "No power" issue with the radio:
    TROUBLESHOOTING for No Power! Older Ferrari's have Sony Car stereos installed in the USA. For No Power, we found this problem may be at the fuse block on the passenger side of the vehicle. "Scotch Locks" are used when installing car stereo, Constant +12v (yellow), Switched +12v (red) and ground (black) wires. "Scotch Locks" are the weak links, making intermittent or open connections. Remove "Scotch Locks" and Do It Right!

I'll have to try that first. Thanks for posting the link in the first place!

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    $150

You're welcome. Yes, check to see if the "Scotch Locks" were removed.

18. Graj art

Graj art Rookie

Feb 1, 2021
    Hey Barry,
    Unfortunately Bob Randall over at Ferrari car Sereo Repair can no longer source cassette parts for my old 1999 clunker. He referred United for both the Sony and Cassette units. Will advise. Also calling Creative car Audio shop in the AM

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, he can no longer source tape drive parts for SONY units. My post was in 2016 when he still had tape drive parts available. Let us know what United and Creative are able to do.

Barry

20. Graj art

Graj art Rookie

Feb 1, 2021
    Creative has agreed to look at the unit. I will reply with results!

21. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Who is "Creative" and what is their contact info? Thanks. Having issues with a (Harmon) head unit in a 2016 Cali T (keeps recycling / rebooting every 10-20 seconds). Reboots, cavalinno shown, music starts to play (wherever you were last) and then -- 10 seconds later -- reboot. And everything happens all over again.

I tried the hard reboot procedure (battery disconnect).
    Dealer confirmed it is something internal to the head unit.

Looking for top notch electronics bench type repair outfits in the US. United Radio is an idea. Asking them now.

Other ideas?