Speaker Replacement - Challenge Stradale Center Speakers | FerrariChat

Speaker Replacement - Challenge Stradale Center Speakers

Discussion in '360/430' started by CarbonDan, Aug 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    #1 CarbonDan, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Before getting started, I have searched these forums and online and haven't found a direct answer to my question. Hopefully someone here does know...

My challenge stradale center speakers (the two driver/sub speakers in the box inbetween the seats) are completely disintegrated.
    Part numbers:

I'm looking for a non-OEM, directly plug and play replacement set of two drivers for the 360CS. Does anyone have any model numbers they can recommend?

I have found threads on here detailing actually upgrading the full system, adding cross overs, amps, non-factory radios, etc, but what I'm hoping to find is a way to simply plug in new speakers without rewiring, soldering, etc. I have found that the part number Ferrari uses also corresponds to certain F430s as well: 188610

Hopefully such an item exists. Thanks!

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dan, if it is just the speaker surrounds that have failed...just remove the speakers and have them rebuilt...not at all expensive...maybe $30 each. Many places in the NW that offer this service.

3. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Didn't even think of that! I figured though that while I have the opportunity, if a plug-n-play solution exists, I might as well take the time to upgrade it. If not, then I'll probably toss in OEM new replacements. But the rebuild is an interesting thought...

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    They can use better materials to prevent a repeat.

5. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    #5 CarbonDan, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    Yes. I posted a thread on this subject. Same thing happened to my F430. Have yours re conditioned.

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #7 bisel, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    One of those speakers is not a speaker. It is a passive radiator. I replaced both of those on my 360. I purchased two Focal 5.25" subs and they were direct fit. I am very pleased with results.

When I purchased them they were on sale as they were being discontinued. I notice on Focal's website the current subs are the Utopia BE15 WS. I believe they are really expensive but I expect the quality is above reproach.

Steve

Edited ... model number is BE 13 not BE 15

8. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. What all was required to get it wired up?

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Just splice into the existing speaker connector to make connections to the second sub. Word of caution ... I replaced entire audio system and re-wired everything with 14AWG wire. The existing wires to that enclosure are probably 18AWG or 20AWG. Also, those Focal subs have an impedance of 4 ohms. On the stock audio system, the amp is not the best quality. The Focal subs will likely give much improved performance, but an upgraded amp and door speakers will give even superior results.

Here is link to spec sheet for those subs ... https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/FP-13WS-GB.pdf

Crutchfields asking $500 ... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_09113WS/Focal-Utopia-Be-13-WS.html

Steve

10. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Very much appreciated.

11. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Those OEM speaker elements look cheap and bad quality. Paper cones and no lamination. Although within a car, humidity can be at high level. Also the other element is a dummy that only radiates the other element's sound pressure. This was done just to save some amp power and to have more pressure with two small elements, the other one being a "slave."

As a former car hi-fi competitor, I recommend to go for aftermarket elements. For example Focal. If your amp generates decent output, improvement in sound is huge. Steve Bisel gave you some good advice there! So off with the OEM garbage!

12. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Mine looked just like yours. Had the surrounds for both the active and passive unit repaired in 1 day for both with a cost of less than $100. The sound did get better but no match for the exhaust and engine.

13. benzman320@aol.com

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    swansea mass
    Full Name:
    bryan pacheco
    hello dan I am a focal dealer I have these in stock if you need them .

14. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Just to bring this thread full-circle, I sent my speakers out to Will at Watt Noise (http://wattnoi.se/)
    He got them repaired extremely quickly - took a few days for the parts to get in and he had the labor done in 1 day. Shipped them right back to me.

All I can say is WOW! I had completely written off the stereo in the CS as a joke before I realized it was because my speakers were all torn up. The factory speakers actually sound good! Honestly, the speakers sound great. They do get drowned out a bit at 60 MPH due to the road and wind noise but that's not the speakers fault. His price was extremely reasonable too, especially compared to getting a brand new OEM set. I considered going with aftermarket units but decided not to because:
    A. Aftermarket wiring required.
    B. Decreases the car's originality, which is important to me and many buyers.
    C. Added weight

I like turning on the radio in the car when working on it in the garage - waxing, detailing, etc. When driving of course I prefer the sound of the engine but it's nice to have the speakers as an option.
    He mentioned the following to me to let you guys know:

"The issue is just one from the environment, the foam surrounds will rot with time even without use. For best chance of repair, the speakers should not be used with the foam surrounds compromised/torn in any way until they are repaired."

Pop the grill on your speakers and double check their condition! These cars are all getting up there in age and you may be able to save yourself a few bucks by getting them repaired rather than having to replace the whole set.

Before:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

After being repaired by http://wattnoi.se/

Note that the excess glue on the speaker pic was cleaned like the left one by the time I got it. I was too quick to have them installed to take my own pics when they arrived.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Damn...those things look brand NEW!
    I have a feeling the speakers in my car are also going bad and was quoted $ 4,000 by a local shop to replace all speakers, amp and do a small custom box to house a 6" instead of the 5.25" - I thought the price was outrageous...I may look into simply replacing them with 2 x 5.25" and see if that does the trick first.
    Thanks!

16. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    So would it be best to go with a set of 5.25" subs that are 4 ohms or 8 ohms if you are simply going to replace that single sub with 2 actual 5.25" subs?

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I put that word of caution without knowing what the actual impededance of the stock sub. The caution was targeting the power draw of two subs on a substandard original amp. If you attempt to push too much current out of that amp there will likely be distortion.

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have a Scud, how do the grills come off for inspection?
    thanks in advance

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Any tips on removing the center speaker (sub) grills on a 430 Scuderia? I would like to inspect mine.

20. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    #20 TAILWAG, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    The removal is quite simple. Just stick something flat in between the edge of the grill and the leather - it will begin moving and just use a bit of force/pressure to pry it out. I will come out with ease. Mine came off with ease.
    Upon inspection, the top "passive resonator" was completely busted and it was the source of the rattling. The subwoofer on bottom was in good shape, but they really don't look like they are the best. Mine did very poorly when it came to hitting the lows and any song with bass would simply distort.
    I found these great little subs made by DROK. They were only $ 90 for the pair and they sound AMAZING! Installation was very simply as these are 4 ohms, so you simply use the wires going onto the sub (red/black for one sub and yellow/blue for the other sub).
    The mounting points are slightly different and they have round frames, opposed to the more square shape of the stock ones, but, you can either trim them slightly or, like I did, simply used some foam and taped it to the border of the opening of the speaker holes. This raises them slightly and allows you to drill the speakers onto the openings with ease and create a nice, tight enclosure. The subs require very little power (I think they are 50-60 maximum watts) and I could not be happier. You will never hear songs the same way.
    Don't ask me how, but also, the door speakers are sounding considerably better - I am not sure if it is because the subs are better and now you can actually hear the highs/mids better coming from the tweeters and the doors speakers, or if actually having the rear onto two subs is making the crossovers work better...I don't know, but the sound difference is incredible - especially for $ 90. I have a friend that bought an 8" sub and had a custom enclosure built on his 430 coupe - his hits a little harder, but mine sounds crispier and cleaner. Oh, and he spent $ 1,100 in his system for installation, the sub, the enclosure and the amp - mine was less than 10% of that cost...even with the 2 caipirinhas I had afterwards to celebrate. LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I believe the set up is different in the Scud, as the only other speakers used are two tweeters in the dash. For this reason, I believe the center speakers are comprised of a full range speaker and passive sub...will take of the grill this weekend to inspect..hope it pries off like the CS.

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, standard configuration is one active and a passive radiator.

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, but I believe the active speaker is full range, not a sub....but I could be wrong

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree. I think it is full range

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The subwoofer drivers appear to be exactly the same as used in the regular 430 and have the same part numbers. BUT, I wonder if the crossover points are different? Because the sound coming from the subwoofer appears closer to "full range" and the 430 Scuderia only has tweeters in the dash...there are no mids or full range speakers in the doors. Only the two tweeters and the subwoofer enclosure.