SR-71 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

SR-71

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 134282, Oct 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but this guy has built a working replica (R/C) of the Sled. It is worth the read of his progress if you get an hour or so.

GT

http://www.mmrca.org/lance/sledframe.html

2. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Alright guys, went to Pima Air and Space today and got shots of 951. I wil put them in a gallery tomorrow and link it. Also got a shot of a D-21 at Monthan AFB aka the Boneyard.

3. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Looks great!! I do like how they have the SR-71 inside where it is properly protected. It looks simply majestic to me sitting there.

The rest of the photos really make me want to go and visit there....already thinking about it for this summer...hmmm.

I also agree with you that some of the planes sitting there are almost kind of sad as they are not in use at all.

PDG

5. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Lifting body, anti-grav and hydrogen ram jets make the Blackbird look very obsolete which it very much is. Amazing plane and accomplishment in such a short time. The "skunk" works are very much alive and doing well so I have heard.

Cheers

6. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Agree it is obsolete, however you are looking at advanced technology for its day; which was in the 1950's. That was close to 60 plus years ago. At the time, a technological wounder. I if there is an Aurora, or what ever they call it, imagine what they will say 60 years after it is disclosed. The same thing?

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was amazed to find out that Lockheed's first proposal for the aircraft, in 1958 or so, was rejected as not being stealthy enough. I didn't realize that they knew about stealth that long ago!

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    60-6930 is about 10 minutes from my house, I'll get some pictures of it for this thread. As to NNO's comment about using it as a commuter jet, the AF has said publicly that it costs $100k per hour to keep one in the air.

9. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    930 is an A-12 for those who dont know the tail numbers.

Also the $100k per hour is on the VERY low side. My sources put cost at between $250-500k per hour. The $100k may be in 1960s dollars though.

Just a little bit to add there...

PDG

10. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Keeping in mind unless you arranged waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of time (and at substantial cost), you also needed special fuel - doesn't run on Jet-A.

11. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Isn't the formula still a state secret?

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #113 judge4re, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  13. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    #114 TURBOQV, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your source only has a 100% differential in costs. Is that total operating costs or direct operating costs? What was used to determine? Operating costs are in direct relation to hours flown. Your source must know how many hours each airframe flew to derive at that figure? Several agencies used the Sled and some of the funding was not on any budget list so an actual figure of operating costs if difficult to achieve. The spare parts inventory remained very large and was paid for. The biggest direct operating cost was fuel and tanker support.

What was amazing to see and hear was the start process. Initially Buick 426 cubic inch engines were used , with 4-barrel Carbs, Straight exhaust pipes created the sound of a Top Fuel Dragster. Nite starts were always amazing to witness.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks for the pictures and the info, New to me and very interesting !
    Switches

15. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Glad you enjoyed it. I am trying to post the de-classified AFM which is too big to upload. It would be interesting reading for those who want to know most everthing about her.

Cheers from Bishkek where it is snowing!

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    This version?

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/

17. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
  18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I understand that the flash point of the fuel (JP-7?) was such that you could drop a lighted match into a puddle of the stuff on the ground and nothing would happen. In part that's why they needed the Buick engines to start the J58s up.

19. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    They had no apu for engine starting to save weight and had to rely on an external cart.

Nothing to do with the fuel.

"The original design was conceived by two Lockheed Skunk Works engineers who had prior race car engine knowledge. In the mid-1970's, the engines of the start carts was changed to Chevrolet LS-7 454's. The Chevrolet big block engines developed 465 horsepower each. Even so, for many years they were still referred to as the Buick's. In the '80's the AG-330 Start Carts were mothballed and in there place came a Pneumatic Air starting system for the SR-71's. It is true that the start carts were hard to maneuver around. Logistically, a recovery of a Blackbird at another base could be done easier with Pneumatic Air. Garrett Air Research installed the Pneumatic Air starting system in each of the hangers at Beale AFB to accommodate the SR-71 engine starts. The launches were never quite the same without the Buick's or the 454's. Credit should be given to those people that maintained the AG-330's in the 9th SRW Aerospace Ground Support Section. Along with maintaining all support equipment, they took great pride in maintaining the Start Carts tuned and in tip top condition. A job well done."

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Correct. My uncle runs fuel out to San Clemente island for the Navy jets, and while not the same stuff used in the SR-71, it too has a high flash point that a lighted match won't ignite.

21. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    #122 jimangle, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    JP-8 is the same. You can drop a lit match in a barrel of the stuff and it won't ignite. It's the vapors that ignite.

The F-4 phantom needed an engine cart to start it's engine as well. A huffer cart, or -60 with an ecs adapter. Actually all jet engine have an option of using a huffer cart, or equivalent to start their engines in case their APU, or JFS is not operational.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

In the late 80's I was driving my new SAAB turbo East of Aurora, Co. Sunroof open. Near Buckley AFB.

Suddenly, there was an ENORMOUS roar, afterburning Blackbird lifted off the runway and headed straight up with these huge plumes of flame behind it. I stopped in the middle of the road, as did everyone else and watched it through my sunroof.

It came around and did a flyby maybe 50 feet off the deck.

Never forget it.

23. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Wonderful photos...just getting around to posting my comments. Thank you for sharing them here.

I really HATE the fact that I never got to see one fly. I have seen videos and virtually everything else associated with the Blackbirds, but never seen one fly. :( Guess I never will.

PDG

24. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    I would pay a lot of money to see what you saw.