Stupid stupid Mistake | FerrariChat

Stupid stupid Mistake

Discussion in '612/599' started by drjeeva, Aug 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    I switched off the battery kill switch in the boot of my F599 and then very stupidly closed the boot lid. Now I cannot access the switch. Pulling the boot release cable under the coin box panel near the hand brake does not work. The boot does not release even with jiggling on the boot lid ....short of jumping on it. Is the ciggie lighter socket active in this scenario? I tried connecting a cigarette connector cable into the socket (connected to a car battery) and switching on the ignition to disarm the boot lock electrically but there is no power in the dashboard. Maybe the cigarette lighter socket is inactive or the connection is rusty or the wires are too thin to supply the current or....or....Dammit to hell.
    Anyone with any ideas please.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  3. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    I think the problem can be summed up as "how to open a jammed bootlid when the cable release and electric release button don't work"

4. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    Or how to open the boot kid when the battery is read and the boot cable release doesn't work

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Have you ever used the pull cable under the center console before? I have not. Ferrari's are not elegant. You MAY need some force. Try the emergency pull in the grill for your front bonnet and you will see how hard you have to pull. Yet on my 550 the rear pull is not that hard.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It takes a large amount of force pulling on the emergency cable to get the boot to release. Get something that you can really pull it with and give it a good pull. otherwise you are either going to have to get a wiring diagram for the car an figure out where the relay is for the boot release solenoid and power up the output from the relay socket, or you can jack the car up, remove the belly pan and power up the car from the main power cable at the starter motor. Once you have powered up the car, you will have to reinitialized the locking system, by locking and unlocking the car with the key remote before the trunk lock will work.

brogenville and jorge da cruz like this.
  7. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    " you can jack the car up, remove the belly pan and power up the car from the main power cable at the starter motor. Once you have powered up the car, you will have to reinitialized the locking system, by locking and unlocking the car with the key remote before the trunk lock will work. "

Yes basically that's what the Ferrari service guys advised. They sent someone over who accessed the fuse panel beneath the steering column and identified the ignition relay and tapped it with a spare car battery they had brought and switched on the ignition then reinitialized the locking system using the key fob and then released the boot using the button release on the floor. Alternative was to jack up the car and proceed as you said.

this means ill be able to take the 599 tomorrow for a road trip as planned.

8. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    #8 drjeeva, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F3RN4ND0, brogenville and Makuono like this.
  9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would get the manual trunk release fixed!

10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Seems the mistake is that the battery kill switch was put in the boot...

11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but those wheels and black trimmings do nothing to enhance the looks of your car.

C4YES likes this.
  12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Best left unsaid Doctor Mark

13. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    You are right but it was so painful to see.

14. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    Ouch.Well I like it guys.

Makuono likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Did you try pulling on that center console cable really hard? I hope you have it restored.

16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Why be a jerk? Do you tell random people in public that their pants make them look fat?

17. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    You are right. My apologies to drjeeva.

18. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    No problem guys. No offence meant I'm sure and none taking. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I do love my 599.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I like the look. :)

20. drjeeva

drjeeva Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Ipoh, Perak, Malaysi
    Full Name:
    Jeevaraj Nadarajah
    Bas, ddrewesusa and Sid Sajvit like this.
  21. Sid Sajvit

Sid Sajvit Rookie

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sid Sajvit
    Ferrari looks best in red...even if some non-puritans insist its looks fab in yellow or black or blue.

22. Silver365

Silver365 Rookie

Sep 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck, Ph.D.
    I had this problem after my 7 tr old Interstate battery failed. I tried charging thru the cigarette jack (the key needs to be on) but the battery had too much ESR to start the car. Finally I got a long screw driver and levered the boot release cable open using both hands.
    After a jump start from AAA I drove to the dealer for a new $722 Odyssey battery. Ten hours total.

23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sorry... how does a battery cost $722? And it takes 10 hours to install?!

George Vosburgh likes this.
  24. Nates599

Nates599 Rookie

Jun 11, 2023
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Nate Prawitt
    Sooo, I’ve just made the same stupid, stupid mistake, and my pull cable isn’t working. Can anyone illuminate me in how to tap into the ignition relay without frying any electronics? Thank you in advance!

25. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Same exact problem on Maserati GranTurismos and it uses the same body computer/fuse block. ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I don't seem to be able to link to the other Maserati forum so please google "Maserati Emergency Boot / Trunk Release Not Working"