Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 73 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Hello @cc8s,

I will re-post the photos in question of the Bentley Blazer by Jankel with an extra addition. See below and enjoy the read.

P.S. Notice the 1983 GMC Vandura A-Team van parked in front. :eek:

Original photo:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enhanced:

Bentley Blazer by Jankel

Robert Jankel is arguably the most famous limousine coach builder due to his association with Rolls Royce and Bentley.

He has made many fantastic cars over the years. And then there is this.

Take this 1973-1991 General Motors Chevolet K5 Blazer. It seems to have nothing to do with Rolls Royce and Bentley.

Actually it does. The Chevolet Blazer and many Rolls Royce and Bentley cars shared the same General Motors sourced Turbo-Hydramatic 400 automatic transmission.

Robert Jankel had an idea. If the Blazer shared the same transmission, it would be an easy job to mate it with a Bentley engine, and use the running gear to make a Bentley 4x4 off roader. So he did.

A Bentley engine is inserted into the Blazer, mated with the common transmission.

Now to the body. You have to make it at least look a little like a Bentley. Lets change the front end. That will convince everyone that it is a proper Bentley.

The interior was also changed to that of a Bentley. The rear, not much modification was done.

Source: http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2007/10/bentley-blazer-by-jankel-robert-jankel.html

GT1Forever likes this.
  2. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    #1802 marko.urbac, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Mark Blanchard likes this.
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How many testarossa does one really need? All of them it seems..

4. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Ferrari 288 GTO
    RHD - Unique Example - 2,800 kms

DK Engineering has released a beautiful video and a stunning photo gallery about the only 'rescued' Ferrari 288 GTO RHD in Nero from Brunei, which I am posting here in its entirety.

Of course the car is for sale and, if you are interested, you can contact them and inquire about the price by clicking on the following link: https://www.dkeng.co.uk/ferrari-sales/1283/blue_chip_competition_cars/ferrari_288_gto.html

[...] During the 1980s and 1990s, one particular family amassed the largest collection of cars in the world, through a limitless budget and passion for all things automotive. From records released in the early 2000s, this Royal Family spent close to $80m with Pininfarina alone. In theory, all 288 GTOs were built in Rosso Corsa and left-hand drive. This car was delivered new to a representative of said family and subsequently (and almost immediately) returned it to Pininfarina in Turin. At this time, the car was uniquely refinished in Nero with a red stripe down the waistline and fitted with a bespoke interior, as well as being subjected to a comprehensive rebuild and complex conversion to RHD specification. Understandably there is some uncertainty surrounding the number of 288s reconfigured by Pininfarina for the family. Historians generally agree there were just 4 in total. This example was said to be the one that received the most use once within the collection. Years later, in circa 2012, having suffered from being sat outside for a number of years in high heat and humidity, the family set about having the car restored. At that time the car had covered circa 1,500 kms. Not bad given it was part of a collection said to be containing 7,000 cars!

The GTO was sent to a main Ferrari dealer where it would be subject to a comprehensive restoration. Stripped to its bare frame and tub, every component was either refurbished or replaced. The full restoration process is extensively documented in the accompanying history file, with no bolt or screw exempt from the meticulous restoration. The car was refinished in it’s Pininfarina specification of Nero, with black leather ‘Daytona’ style centres, a grey suede dashboard and headlining, a smaller diameter steering wheel including thumb recesses in the rim and Pininfarina script on the lower spoke. Following this it returned to the family and received limited use.

This example was purchased directly from the original owners by DK Engineering in 2015 and imported into the UK. Completing UK registration, we carried out an additional major service including cambelts. Such was the limited use from new that at this time, post-restoration, the car had covered just 1,800 kms. Since then, the car has been used sparingly. It returned to DK Engineering for a major service once more in 2019 and to date presents superbly with just 2,800 kms now showing.

An unrepeatable example, offered publicly for sale for the very fist time, this very low mileage 288 GTO is a fantastic example of the spending power of the family in question, from a time of bespoke customisation that won’t be repeated. It presents today as what is believed the only example to have "escaped from captivity" and is "on the button", ready to be used and enjoyed and is available to view at our showrooms outside London immediately.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

stocky, BJK and NürScud like this.
  5. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Hi guys!

As I was (again) going back through some posts and photos within this thread, I came across the post #1734 and this specific photo taken in Brunei, which I am going to re-post:

The matte (metallic?) grey car in the middle, between the Lotus and the Porsche, is a modified 1974 Maserati Khamsin 'Restomod' owned by the Brunei Royal Family.

I found that, back in April 2018, the same exact car arrived at Detail King Auto Concept at Christchurch, New Zealand for a 'Concours Package' detail and full exterior and interior restoration. Photos at the bottom of this post.

Later it headed to the famous Dutton Garage NZ for being sold, however no newer photos were found.

Another very similar Maserati Khamsin to follow......

6. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    As mentioned in the post above, here you can see another Maserati Khamsin 'Restomod' from 1975, which belonged to the Brunei Royal Family as well.

This example appeared recently online, specifically in July 2020. It was featured in an article by Jalopnik titled: I Will Never Forgive The Royal Family Of Brunei For Their Crimes Against This Maserati

Quoting:

[...] Found for sale at London classic car dealer DD Classics is this 1975 Maserati Khamsin, modified nearly beyond recognition by its original owners, the royal family of Brunei. The car that left the factory with sleek lines cut by Marcello Gandini during his time at Bertone. It had to be impressive if it was going to serve as a front-engined counterpart to the contemporary Maserati Bora and a follow-up to the sublime first-generation Ghibli.

Out back, most Khamsins (US-market cars aside) featured a unique rear end, taillights floating in a pane of glass that looked into the cargo area under the expansive glass hatch. It’s an alluring image, one that has captured the imagination of our very own Raphael Orlove time and again with good reason.

This car, however, does not feature that signature rear treatment. Instead, it’s got some generic round taillights that make it look a lot like a C3 Corvette to my eyes. That’s a real shame, but it’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the list of crimes committed to this innocent vehicle when it was sequestered away by the ruthless members of Brunei’s ruling clan.

The Italian V8? Gone. A Holden unit is under the hood instead. The steering wheel? A De Tomaso unit, funnily enough. The wheels? Ones you’d likely find in the ads in the back of an issue of Automobile in your dentist’s waiting room. The color? Polestar blue for some reason. And don’t get me started on the body kit. I don’t know what I can say about it that is appropriate for our blog’s family audience. But I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. The Sultan’s taste might be have been good sometimes, but some of his more imaginative custom machines are rather... distinctive. I mean ugly as hell.

I’ll be honest; when I first came across it, it took a minute before I realized what this car actually is. Or was. And that’s the last thing I remember before I woke up on the floor with dried blood down the side of my face.

This right-hand-drive Maserati Khamsin is listed at DD Classics in London with 19924 miles on the odometer and a price of £89,950. It’s a pre-facelift car, but I don’t know if that matters all that much considering what’s been done to it. Maybe someone can find some use for it, though, and enjoy it more than the old Sultan likely ever did. [...]

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Just yesterday (December 4th, 2020) this very same 'French Blue' 1975 Maserati Khamsin 'Restomod' was featured in an article by Simon de Burton for Classic Driver. Enjoy the read below.

Brunei’s royal family turned this Maserati Khamsin into a full-blown hot rod.
    04 December 2020

Designed by Marcello Gandini and built in homeopathic numbers, the Maserati Khamsin was one of the most extravagant sports cars of the 1970s. But for Brunei’s discerning royal family, this obviously wasn’t enough – so they created their own bespoke version. Simon de Burton investigates.

Believe ir or not, the vibrant blue machine pictured here with the Ferrari-like back and front ends and decidedly unique middle is a Maserati Khamsin. And if the shape seems entirely unfamiliar, don't berate yourself for lack of knowledge - this car really is a total one-off. Photographer Rob Cooper's eye-catching images took me back a few months to early September when, during one of the very few global car reveals to have taken place before a live audience this year, Maserati pulled the wraps off the MC20, its first supercar since production of the spectacular MC12 came to an end in 2010 .

As luck would have it, I was driving home to England from Greece (in my very un-glamorous Vauxhall van) at just the right time to be able to drop-in to Modena for the big, socially distanced reveal to which 400 people were invited - around a quarter of the number hoped for in the pre-covid plan.

It was certainly a dazzling event, with Maserati's GT1 ace Andrea Bertolini guiding the sleek MC 20 onto a virgin-white stage strafed by strobe lights to be greeted by the evening's compere, automotive You Tuber Mr JWW. But while everyone took advantage of the invitation to pay close-up homage to the MC20 once the reveal was complete - and made all the right noises in respect of the car's 621 bhp, in-house 'Nettuno' twin-turbo V6, 'butterfly' doors and high-tech interior - it soon became apparent that what many of us wanted was to get among the array of classic Maseratis from the '60s and '70s parked-up near the stage.

We had already been transported back to the marque's golden era by a loop cut from director Philip Selkirk's movie 'Maserati - 100 years Against All Odds' that charts the tumultuous history of the manufacturer through pre-war racing footage, interviews with star drivers such as the late Sir Stirling Moss and John Surtees and chats with collectors including Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason.And the beautifully restored classics weren't just there to look at. Ahead of the event, guests had been given the chance of passenger rides in '60s models such as the Ghibli, Sebring, Mexico and Mistral as well as the following decade's equally evocative Kyalami, Merak, Bora and Indy.

But the old school model most people wanted to see wasn't there, because it's one of the rarest of all Maserati's post-war classics - yes, we were missing the wondrous Khamsin, the fatally-flawed grand tourer that went into production in 1974, just as the 300 per cent increase in the price of crude caused by the OPEC oil crisis really began to bite. As a result, a mere 435 examples of Bertone designer Marcello Gandini's sharply-drawn, wedge-shaped, kamm-tailed beauty with its distinctive glass rear panel housing 'floating' lights were ever built, making it one of the most sought-after of all post-war Masers.

Conceived under Citroen ownership and as Bertone's first Maserati collaboration, it even incorporated some of the French maker's quirky hydraulics in the steering, brakes and headlamps, while the 4.9 litre, twin-cam V8 and capacious, two-plus-two hatchback body made it a quick, comfortable and practical mile-muncher. You could say, in fact, that the Khamsin represented 1970s Italian GT perfection. You really wouldn't want to change a thing.

Unless, of course, you were one of those car-mad members of the Brunei royal family who didn't merely want exotic cars and lots of them, but cars so exotic that no one else could possibly have anything the same .Which is why these pictures show a Khamsin like no other - a one-off that shamelessly breaches every rule in the originality rule book not by being merely 'modded,' but by being comprehensively 'resto-modded'.

But, before anyone gets aerated about the sacrilegious aspects of choosing to resto-mod an ultra-rare Khamsin, let's look at it logically. There are seldom complaints about Porsche 911s getting the same treatment, and people positively rave, for example, about the brilliant Ford Broncos and Toyota FJs created by California's Icon 4x4. And who could deny that the Volvo P1800 updated by Cyan Racing is nothing less than fabulous, or that an upgraded E-Type from Eagle isn't better than Jaguar's original?

So what's wrong with making a Khamsin more usable, more powerful, quicker, better handling and more pleasant to drive than a standard version? As for looks - well, they are always subjective, but we reckon the extensive bodywork modifications carried out on this car have brought it into the 21st century (or near it, at any rate), albeit at the expense of that distinctive, glass rear panel.

According to Danny Donovan of London's DD Classics, which has consigned the car to the Historics December 12 Ascot auction, it drives beautifully and has been built to a staggeringly high standard. "Like most of the Brunei cars, there is no official record of what was done or when because the family didn't like such information to become public," explains Donovan. "For similar reasons of discretion, many of their cars were sent to New Zealand for modifications and restorations, and that's where this one came from.

"It has been fitted with a modern Holden V8 engine and automatic gearbox and seems to have had numerous other upgrades to take the extra power into account - and the body modifications are incredible. They're not just the result of a stick-on kit, but hours of workmanship. The car actually looks as though it was created that way from new," he says.

Anyone who is willing to live with those looks and the general lack of originality could certainly be getting a bargain at the pre-sale estimate of £76,000 - 85,000, because that must represent a fraction of what the car cost to build. And with fewer than 20,000 miles on the clock, a tough Holden V8 and a smooth, modern and reliable automatic gearbox under the skin, it seems ready to take on the continent-devouring grand touring role for which the Khamsin was originally intended.

And it should certainly inspire some enthusiasm for Maserati's own 'Projekt Rekall' resto-mod Shamal / Bi-Turbo concept currently being considered by the marque's Fuoriserie personalisation programme. We say 'bring it on..'

The car will be auctioned by Historics Auctioneers at the Ascot Racecourse on December 12th, 2020. The estimate is $102.355 - $114.476 USD or £76 000 - £85 000 GBP (listed).

Year of manufacture: 1975
    Mileage: 19 924 mi / 32 065 km
    Drive: RHD
    Gearbox: Automatic
    Condition: Used
    Lot number: 317

New photos by RWC PHOTO to follow below:

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #1816 Nembo1777, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Hello I run the Maserati Khamsin Registry which I started in 2004.

http://maseratikhamsinregistry.net/

We have been discussing this car in the Khamsin thread in the Maserati section. There is only one.

AM120-333 was delivered new to the Sultan, directly from the factory, as Fabio Collina of Maserati Classiche confirmed to me in January, I then informed the owner of DD Classics who had not known, here is the factory data on the car:

Basic information:

KHAMSIN (AM120)

Chassis number

AM120*333*

Model

KHAMSIN (AM120)

Body

Bertone - Closed

Displacement

4.930 cm3 - Carburettors

Gearbox type

Automatic Borg Warner

External colour

"Verde Mercedes" (Green)

Interiors leather colour

"Marrone Monzese" (Brown)

Date of production

10/03/1975

Right hand drive

Yes

Delivery area

Brunei

End of quote. Note that these are non standard bespoke colors. I have no photos of the car new nor does the factory.

What I assume happened, since no photo ever emerged of this car is that the engine was broken early on and it was set aside, pushed into some dark corner. Then many years later, for the sake of simplicity they resurrected the car by fitting that Holden (!) engine with its own auto box. I have photos, see below of the car repainted black but still with normal bodywork though the dashboard is already in wood. Eventually someone perhaps Jefri Bolkiah, the Sultan's very spendthrift brother commissioned this hot rod body. Certainly a lot of money was spent...ruining this poor Khamsin. The car was at first either unpainted or in grey and then this baby blue which is NOT French blue by the way. We will see what happens at the auction on the 12th...

My question is does anyone have photos of this Khamsin when it was new in that verde Mercedes livery? I have never seen any which is why I believe it sat forgotten for many years.
    Thanks in advance.

Anecdotally it is not the only Khamsin to have lost its engine: in Sydney Australia AM120-307 runs around with...a Corvette engine!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT1Forever, track, marcospace and 2 others like this.
  9. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Thanks for your reply. Do you mean that the matte gray and the baby blue are the same exact car?

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes to be precise AM120-333 has had four configurations. In verde Mercedes (a special order color only seen on this car and NOT part of the normal Maserati selection) when new, then black with the Holden engine and gearbox but still with normal bodywork (cf photos I posted). Then grey with the hot rod bodywork, then repainted baby blue. There is only one car of that there is no doubt.

What I am interested in is any photos of the car intact in its original condition, no matter how bad. Thanks in advance for any help.

If anyone has access to the people in charge of the Sultan's collection it would be wonderful to locate the broken original engine, reunite it with the car, have it rebuilt in Europe and fitted back in it. Of course the chances of that are extremely remote, I know...

11. Dragster666

Dragster666 Rookie

May 12, 2020
    Dauer 962 chassis 172
    Chassis 172 was a Fabcar 962 tub ordered by Jochen Dauer Racing over the winter of 1990-1991. It made its only competition appearance at the 1991 Daytona 24 Hours alongside Dauer’s sister Fabcar 962, chassis 175.

Chassis 172 was entered at Daytona for Mario, Michael and Jeff Andretti. It ran an all-black livery with backing from Texaco Havoline. The sister car (chassis 175, painted plain white) was driven at Daytona by four members of the Unser racing dynasty.

Both of Dauer’s 962s ran with special bodywork produced by the Arrows F1 team.

The brand new cars were only just finished in time to race; teething and scrutineering problems created a good deal of stress within the team.

The 1991 Daytona 24 Hours began with Michael Andretti launching the black Porsche from sixth on the grid into second. He then harried leader Bob Wollek (Joest Porsche 962) before scrabbling inside under braking for the left-hander that took the cars back onto the West banking. Wollek re-took the lead on lap two as Andretti’s car, with more rear wing, was visibly slower on the straights.

Wollek, Andretti and Arie Luyendyk (Nissan R90C) battled furiously over the next few laps with the lead changing hands several times. Andretti then settled into second position before pitting on lap 24 complaining of a misfire.

Mario Andretti took over and rain soon swept in. The 1978 F1 champion initially stayed out on dry tyres but on lap 48 he struck debris from a stricken 911 and swerved onto the grass in front of the pit lane. A new nose was fitted along with wet weather tyres.

At the 100-lap mark the black Porsche had fallen 16 laps behind the leaders. By midnight it was lying seventh but was by then 17 laps in arrears.

However, a spectacular early morning stint by Michael Andretti and problems for rival teams meant chassis 172 was back in second position by 7:30am even though it had lost fourth gear an hour before.

Just after 9am the Andretti Porsche took the lead but at 10:30am the dream of a fairytale victory ended when a bolt in the flywheel sheared which caused significant damage to the starter motor. The Dauer crew had to spend 78 minutes effecting a repair.

It looked like the Porsche might have been able to recover to finish third but overheating and oil loss ultimately dropped it to fifth at the chequered flag.

After its appearance at Daytona chassis 172 was stored at Dauer’s Nuremberg workshop before being converted into a road-going 962 LM for the Sultan of Brunei.

It was one of five Dauer 962 LMs purchased by the Brunei royal family, all of which were finished in different colour schemes. Chassis 172 was painted black with a matching black interior. Prior to delivery the car appeared in various promotional images wearing number plate N CM 962. It also wore N XN 343 and BB P 962.

Once landed in Brunei the car was registered KF 9911. It later returned to Germany for installation of a red interior.

Jochen Dauer later purchased an unused 962 chassis that had been built by Vern Schuppan Ltd. for Schuppan’s own road-going 962 programme. Dauer used this tub to recreate the 1991 Andretti Daytona 24 Hour entry. Source: https://supercarnostalgia.com/blog/dauer-962-lm-chassis-172

12. Dragster666

Dragster666 Rookie

May 12, 2020
    Not sure if this picture was posted before but i assume that the third car here could be the black
    BQ7551 F1 GT
    The first car that this peep is working on could be the green F1 GT the White one is probably the Red one that was delivered in japan which was later repainted in Mclaren Mika silver and I'm assuming the third car is the BQ7551 the fourth car looks like a normal F1.

Ames, GT1Forever, Victor33 and 8 others like this.
  13. alexabsolute

alexabsolute Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    I've been doing some research on plates ive found of newer performance cars in brunei, most plates that match cars on "the list" have came off any of their many Mercedes s classes.
    The two I found most interesting are these two, a plate that was once on a Bentley Silverstone is now on an audi rs6, which could be wrong but I hope means at least one Silverstone may have left the collection.
    The other is a plate worn by the sole jaguar XJR-9, Thats now on an XJ
    Going through the entire list is somewhat challenging but im wondering if I could get more dug up this way, perhaps this could help get a clearer picture on what cars might have since left the collection etc Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Maybe they just switched the plates to new cars... especially if the 'older' cars are not running, since they have been neglected in the garages.... That's just my guess. Anyhow BRAVO!

15. Rjcoop2

Rjcoop2 Rookie

Jan 16, 2021
    I may have photos that you would like dm me

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

marcospace and FerrariCountach like this.
  16. dinoSP

dinoSP Rookie

Jul 19, 2011
    The kind of research i really like, very interesting!
    Maybe new number plates aren't available in Brunei because they already kept 5000 for themselves :D
    Seriously, you're talking about an XJR-9 race car? Did they sold her?

17. alexabsolute

alexabsolute Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    XJR6 even, which I'm assuming is the one that went up for sale alongside the XJ220C that also once resided in brunei