Surgical Removal of Tastebuds | FerrariChat

Surgical Removal of Tastebuds

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Feb 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    anunakki likes this.
  2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    This is a random comment--I occasional use a chemo drug, which a major side effect is loss of taste. It is absolutely devestating to the patients it happens to. It would be one thing to lose your taste for, like, six months so you could drop weight, lean up, and then get it back. But permanent loss (in my small sample) is a disaster.

3. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    #3 enzo thecat, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Several years ago there was an orthodontic "weight loss" device that was shaped in a way to disrupt taste. It seated in the mouth like a retainer that kids wear. It left the market as fast as it came. A simple trick is to brush your teeth before and after meals. The toothpaste affects the flavor and appetite.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just another "quick fix" to avoid the hard work that goes into changing ones lifestyle.

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I dont think thats random, my first thought was that this would have devastating long term psychological effects. Food is such a social thing for basically every culture, removing that would seem like a very bad idea. I think your insight is interesting.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Reminds me of those who are fixated with being an amputee that they eventually find someone to surgically remove a limb.

Or wonder... how many of those who jumped off of bridges only to wish they hadn't after taking that first step.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My mother in law had vertigo and was prescribed something that made her temporarily lose her sense of taste. It came back fairly quickly after she stoppped the meds.

I hope that steers you in a less permanent direction.

Matt

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Didn't that guy from INXS kill himself after losing his sense of smell and taste?

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A friend of mine lost his sense of smell and taste 10 years ago from a mistake that happened during brain surgery for an aneurysm. It's tragic and affects him, his family and friends. Not a day goes by without mention of it.

10. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    No he was a drug addict.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. Losing weight I think is easier than the effort it would take me to do surgery. I see so many patients with bariatric surgery. I rather spend my money traveling to places with little food (or little unhealthy food) and public transportation so I can sight-see and lose weight at the same time. Travel weight loss program. I'm sure it would be a success. ;)

My brother traveled southeast asia for almost a year and came back in shape. Then he got a job again as a computer programmer and is overweight again...too bad that business would require people travel away from home for months.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The woman who had this done has an additive personality and, unfortunately, she'll most likely replace her food addition with something else (and in addition).

The writer of the article as a good question (in bold text):

Speaking of the writer... looks like a bot to me (i.e. fake news).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have issues with taste that I believe is related to my allergies / sinuses. I've used Flonase in recent years and it's a godsend...my smell and taste have returned mightily.

Eating / tasting - for me - is like sex. I couldn't imagine not having the experience, it's beyond joyful...

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The taste of food is one of the key pleasures of life. That's a terrible solution.

You need healthier recipes GT, not surgery.

Sounds like she talked to a lobotomist who was looking for work.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In the old days of the internet, people used electric drills to their foreheads for relieving pressure.

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You should look at bariatric surgery instead, such as vertical gastric sleeve. It creates a physical limitation of how much you can eat, although it still allows you to taste and enjoy your foods. Doesn't have the malabsorption problems of RNY 'bypass' surgery.

17. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    #17 fedcoin, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Exactly. Amazing to me that some folks would rather have body parts removed or altered than learn a bit of discipline. No disrespect to the OP, but no! The old fashioned way is much more rewarding.

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You need a nutritionist, weekly for a while, to help you understand what to change, how to change, go shopping with you, help you pick alternatives. Learn to love healthy food. Living with a weight problem is a life long struggle, I know. But I'm with everyone else, wouldn't wish this, the loss of taste, on my worst enemy. Torture. Gastric bypass is no better. All you do is slow your metabolism and screw up your body's ability to process some foods, get a proper balance of fiber, absorb vitamins, sometimes even keep your food down. And I'd still go that route before giving up taste.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Food addiction / compulsive eating is the same to the brain as heroin, tobacco or liquor. Just saying it like that makes it seem like learning how to make a bed. It's your body and brain tearing you apart inside for more sugar, salt and fats.

Bariatric surgery is for when you cannot go it alone anymore, you can't use mere willpower or even faith. But it is only a tool, you can eat calorie dense foods like desserts and eat your way around it.

21. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The root of the problem isn't just simply addiction, but how we respond to the cravings. Learning what foods can satisfy without causing damage is critical. It's all about education and nutrition, and retraining ones self to reach for appropriate foods. Knowing what to buy, actually buying it, and actually eating it. The next issue is portions, and bariatric surgery is a losing proposition. The only real solution is to eat to be "not hungry", never eat to be full. At least not regularly. Most people, like me, who have had an overeating issue have distended stomachs that can re-stretch fairly readily like an accordion even after you've resized by portion control. Once the damage is done, we have to exercise a modicum of willpower or we will fail. It's just that simple. It's important to concentrate on what can help you feel full enough toward the end of a meal to turn the switch off. Carbonated drinks are very helpful, low or no sugar carbonated beverages, NOT diet soda. Brushing helps turn off the eating reflex. Interestingly, and terrifyingly, there's new evidence to suggest that those of us who were heavy as children have a lot of extra fat cells that will always be begging to fill themselves like a sponge. Only way to get rid of them is lipo.

22. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sparkling water is great at helping curve hunger. And to me an apple can really make you feel full.