Technology | Page 40 | FerrariChat

Technology

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh come on, wiki can't be wrong all the time :p

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Apple fanbois :rolleyes:

The only thing Apple did was standardise keyboard shortcuts at the system level so a keyboard shortcut was the same for all apps. MSDOS/PCDOS was all over the place.

Apple Macintosh was inferior to the Amiga. (Are you keeping up with the Commodore?) It wasn't till the late 80's when desktop publishing became a thing that people embraced the GUI environment for business so they went to Macs. Atari and Amiga lost out there.

Gaming wise DOS was king no one gave a toss about win3.1 or macs.

MS was a software company that had to compete directly with IBM and Apple both which were also hardware companies, they had the advantage yet MS destroyed them both in the 90's thanks to Windows 95 ;)

You can bash companies going broke all you like Ian but the fact remains that MS bailed out Apple from certain doom in 1997.

Fast forward today and a mac is nothing more than a fancy case re-branded PC. OSX is a fork of FreeBSD (unix) and all the hardware is PC hardware (since 2005).

Even today Apple only has a 9% share market because of certain professional fields that are dominated by Macs like music and graphic design and of course ****ing hipsters.

Don't be a hipster PP :p

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Ok it was an ad for a C64 but still :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxQZ8w3P3I[/ame]

4. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    TLDR

5. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    You've got to admit, the glowing logo on the lid is a genius bit of design for appealing to their key markets (DJs and coffee shop wannabes mostly).

6. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry, I only played with mainframes and minis that handled more than ONE user, never touched a Commodore or any of the other stuff but I'm sure it would have been fun.

I rang some of the R&D boys this arvo from the old WANG days, apparently KC is still making weird stuff and still doesn't wash :)

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol....I'm going to grow my hair (what's left of it) long and buying some flared jeans.

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Don't forget the clip on man bun

9. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I hear that all the hipsters are wearing grey jumpers this year

10. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

He's so cheap, he'll just use his merkin

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    OK then, clip on man curls

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Apple was great when it was real Apple, just another sort of junk once it became a disguised windows platform...

Why do we keep accepting rubbish changes to Windows eg: Word header and footer used to be able to auto insert date and file path -latest version you have to 'update field' every time you change anything; Reader files have to be closed at file level, recent files level and then deleted to clear the cache to allow removal of external drives or to access the file anywhere else on a network otherwise it will appear as 'in use' - WTF!?!?!. How is 3 steps an 'improvement' on what used to be 1 step ?

13. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    I don't know the story on a Mac, but I assume it's the same as Windows, where if the OS knows a drive is external removable storage, you don't reeeeally have to click Safely Remove, Eject or whatever from the perspective of the files on the device. There's no write caching on external devices, so the only danger is file corruption if you're actively writing to the device (e.g. halfway through copying or saving to it), and app crashes if you pull its expected storage out from underneath it.

I've never seen that behaviour with Acrobat - once the file itself is closed, recent files makes no difference to anything! Nor with Word for that matter - what version is that, 2016?

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    that is a poorly informed opinion, but will make you popular with the peerless experts here. Macs use the same chip sets as PC's, but the operating system is quite different. Yes, it's a fork of Berkeley Unix, but that was evolved by extremely clever people and is a vastly better thing than Windows, which is a FUBAR of the DEC VMS operating system from the early 80's. Unix is the operating system which runs 98% of high security / high transaction platforms on the planet, even Microsoft's Azure datacenters now support it, because they lost the market share battle with Amazon.

that is an eloquent example of why informed people avoid MS products :)

Product Managers are required to have a roadmap of new features, it's important to (a) justify their job and (b) for the product to be seen to progress. It results in most "productivity" applications becoming bloated with unused features. From time to time, the code becomes so messed up with tacked-on bits, that it has to be rewritten from scratch - that's usually where previous functions change for no apparent reason.

15. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    Because...?

ARM CPUs run 98% of the smartphones on the planet, but that's not what we were talking about either.

Azure supports Linux, not BSD or Darwin or any other Unix variant, but close enough I suppose. It is interesting to note that one of the things running on Azure is Apple's consumer-facing cloud platform.

That is vanishingly rare with large, publicly used codebases. I don't think it's ever happened with Office or Windows (NT-based platforms ran parallel and initially in entirely different markets to the 3.1/95/98/ME series for almost a decade before taking over). Even in the Apple world where there was quite a defined step from OS 9 to OS X, OS X wasn't rewriting OS 9 from scratch as such, it was starting with BSD and working from there.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    https://www.facebook.com/gadgetnihachi/videos/1120777794622388/

Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge: Official Introduction
    Samsung Galaxy S7 edge at a glance:
    Form factor: Metal and glass body; IP68 water resistance (beyond 1.5m for 30 min)
    Screen: Curved 5.5" Super AMOLED; 2,560 x 1,440px (534ppi)
    Camera: 12MP Dual Pixel, f/1.7, Smart OIS; 2160p video capture; 5MP, f/1.7 selfie camera
    Chipset: Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8890; 4GB of RAM; 32GB or 64GB storage; microSD slot
    Connectivity: Optional dual-SIM (hybrid slot); NFC + MST for Samsung Pay; microUSB 2.0
    Battery: 3,600mAh; Fast wired and wireless charging
    Misc: Fingerprint reader

Samsung Galaxy S7 at a glance:
    Form factor: Metal and glass body; IP68 water resistance (beyond 1.5m for 30 min)
    Screen: Flat 5.1" Super AMOLED; 2,560 x 1,440px (577ppi)
    Camera: 12MP Dual Pixel, f/1.7, Smart OIS; 2160p video capture; 5MP, f/1.7 selfie camera
    Chipset: Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8890; 4GB of RAM; 32GB or 64GB storage; microSD slot
    Connectivity: Optional dual-SIM (hybrid slot); NFC + MST for Samsung Pay; microUSB 2.0
    Battery: 3,000mAh; Fast wired and wireless charging
    Misc: Fingerprint reader

Samsung Mobile is defying barriers once again with premium Galaxy smartphones that redefine the ways we imagine our technology. The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge will make you rethink what a phone can do.

[Design]
    Streamlined curves offer perfect grip and a slimmer feel without compromising a big immersive screen. It’s a powerhouse inside with expandable memory (SD-card slot), a Vulkan API for amazing gaming graphics, and a longer lasting battery. Take it in the rain, the shower, or the pool because it’s water resistant too.

[Camera]
    Featuring a Dual Pixel 12MP phone camera with sub pixel technology found in professional cameras that activates just like your eyes for split-second autofocus. Shoot in the dark and own the night with larger pixels that capture more light for brighter photos.

[Samsung Pay]
    Leave your wallet at home because Samsung Pay is now available virtually anywhere you can swipe or tap your card. It’s easy to use and secured by Knox Security.

[Gear 360]
    Now you can truly break the boundaries of what a phone can do with the Gear 360 and Gear VR. Record your life with the 360 camera, preview it on the S7, and experience your memories like never before with the Gear VR headset.

17. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.

Ian, 99% of the technology users in the world are as 'poorly informed' as me - that's why we're pissed off with both Windows and Apple and all the so-called experts who pontificate on them. I reckon if someone like your goodself were to build and market a laptop, tablet and SMALL phone that did the stuff people actually want (no more, and no less) you'd be selling out faster than hotcakes. One of the reasons I'm stuck with MS crap is nobody STILL has managed to get Autocad running acceptably on Apple (despite all the bull**** sellers will tell you).

18. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    There are file-compatible alternatives to AutoCAD that run on Linux or OSX, e.g. nanoCAD.

The problem with desktops is the tribalism between MS and Mac. The more obsessed people are, the less they actually know.

19. hatzo

hatzo Karting
    BANNED

Jan 25, 2006
  20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can't say I'm surprised.

21. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Sorry, not having a go at you, but I think you just proved my point - for a design office 'file compatible' does not equal 'works'. Ok for computer geeks, not for the poor bastards just trying to get their basic work done.

The tribalism exists because there is NO alternative for the ordinary user. Apple for graphics people and geeks, MS for the east of us plebs.

22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Graphics yes, geeks :D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, I've played with proper OSs most of my life, I find it amusing people arguing over Apple or Microshaft

Geeks don't point and click, that's for the kids :p

23. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Ok I should have said 'amateur' geeks!

24. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed