Texas does Scuderia Rampage!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Texas does Scuderia Rampage!!!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Apr 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robsmom

robsmom Rookie

Aug 14, 2004
    Salina, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Mary Ann Lay
    Mothers are always happy when their kids are having fun, BUT there are some things a mother doesn't want to hear. (Rob, I love the pictures - it's my way of staying in touch - I lost control when you were 2. Love you.)

2. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    Rob, looks like allot of fun. When you have Ferrari's, Gambling and working women all in the same place somone's going to jail. Wait, Does Vegas have Jails? I dont think they have laws.

If you have some free time drive through Red Rock Canyon, its about 10 miles west of the strip just outside the city. Its a great scenic drive especially with a convertible at a high rate of speed. The pub in the Monte Carlo is nice, hint: get one of the tables by the pool, WOW.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Dear Mom,

Everything is going great. Haven't been arrested yet, but please send money in unmarked bills to "Tiny". ;) Just kidding, haven't had time to gamble much, but the trip is more than paid for if I quit now. ...like that will happen. :)

Love,
    Your Favorite Son

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #29 rob lay, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pictures that you take in Vegas and get posted on the internet don't stay in Vegas. Vincent355 and Bobafett spending quality time with each other last night. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #30 rob lay, Apr 23, 2005
    Hurting too much for the Shelby tour this morning, but I heard it was great and others will post pictures. We headed out to the track around noon. Very pretty drive up through and over the mountains. Track is pretty cool, made me wish I had my car.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I managed to grab a ride with Dave (a good guy from Utah with a maroon 308), and so I didn't take out the Superfly Amanti to the run.

Coming from the flatlands, seeing all the mountains was pretty cool. The Red Rock conservation area is very neat, cool twisty roads that unfortunately were invaded by about a zillion bicycle riders on a death march :D

I was looking around and thinking that the area was pretty barren, and then I was told that the rainfall had been very heavy recently, and that the area had greened up significantly.

We got ahead of the pack and let them stream past us. Nothing like being passed by 2 F40s at the same moment! There were actually 4 F40s at the track event, and no 2 were alike.

The highlight of the cars here, in my opinion, is the 50-something 410 SuperAmerica. Unrestored and very original, very cool car. There's pics somewhere on one of the threads, it's the blue/white car.

The 430 sounds great on the track, Roland's F40 sounds like the trump of doom. Someone was wheeling a 550 around the track in a full drift, really pushing that thing, but the fastest guy was in a Lotus Elise. The track was made for that car, all corners.

Met Dan, and Carbon, and Shawn, and Art, and Dave, and a ton of others that I'm having trouble remembering. Met Tom S. briefly. All good guys, everyone seems to be having a great time.

Tomorrow is another track day, think I'm going to take the SuperKia out to find that big hole-in-da-ground that's around here somewhere.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Tillman,
    I believe the 410 belongs to Shaughnessy.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #33 rob lay, Apr 24, 2005
  9. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Was the track thing up at Parumph (sp?)?

Too bad this couldn't have been one week later, you guys would have run in to a hundred or so Panteras, as that's the national Pantera convention coming there this coming week.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, looks like a neat track. Hope to actually bring a car next year.

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    been there, and yes indeed, it is!

more pictures please =D I'm loving the responses so far, but unfortunately had to stay in Austin for work.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie and I got back to Dallas about 5:30pm CST. Tillman comes back tomorrow.

We had a great time and will definitely do it again next year. I will at least haul a car out and might drive.

I recommend the event to the rest of y'all. Its more informal than your typical FCA annual meets, but I think that makes it special. Everyone is really cool and many of the 150+ people were FC'ers. It you like Vegas, if you like partying, and you want to throw some cool drives and track driving in, then this is a great event for the price.

PimpDaddy says next year will be even better.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sunday was a scenic drive thoughout the Valley of Fire.

Due to limited seating, the SuperKia was pressed into service. Shawn (Murcielago) joined me to take photos and video, and we set off in chase of the 25+ exotics in the run. There was everything from a Mondial to a HUGE Rolls monster.

The run got off to a great start -- as we're pulling out, we see the Saleen Mustang pulled over not 2 blocks from the Paris. Ah well, it was a trend that was to continue....

We all hooked up out at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway then headed out to the Valley of Fire. The SuperKia had a bit of trouble with some of the curves, but I figured out that the manu-matic could be locked in a gear. I put in in third, which puts it at 6000 RPM at 80 and up in the powerband, and it was able to roll with the big dawgs :D Hypothetically, the car is actually pretty stable in the 110 range. Hypothetically.

Once we entered the park, we were doing a little over the posted speeds (and I was well in the back), when Johnny Law was a little perturbed by something or other. The park police truck was in the oncoming lane of the two-lane road, with the lights flashing as we all passed by. He hit a turnaround area just behind me and started to whip around. At that point Shawn and I were ditching the Scuderia Rampage passes and the map so that we could disavow any involvement ("no sir, we're just tourists"). Fortunately for us, and unfortunately for the camera crew, their Porsche Boxster came around the bend about then, and Johnny Law decided to have a discussion with the people in the yellow sportscar.

I talked to them later, and they just got a warning, and were notified that the normal speeding ticket in the park was $250(!).

Up ahead, the Murci that Ryan (Ryalex) was riding in had a similar discussion with a park ranger. On this day it seemed that there was strength in numbers, and neither ranger wanted to deal with 25+ cars and their occupants....

We stopped at a marina for gas and a photo opp, and at that time Shawn and I decided to get a head start back in. Poor Shawn was exhausted (up all night? In Vegas? Unthinkable :D) and so we headed back. The short cut was still 60ish miles back to the hotel, and the roads were great. I put the Kia in assault mode (3rd gear) and really hustled it back. Not as much fun as if I had my car, but everyone should abuse a rental once in a while. Shawn fell asleep on the trip, and I was starting to worry about his neck as he slung back and forth between my shoulder and the window of the car. The POP of his head hitting the glass was annoying, but it didn't seem to bother him :D

Lots of Harleys out this weekend, but they're easy to pass. Nobody came by us on that part of the run, so I felt pretty good.

Next year I definitely will bring out my car somehow. I don't know that I'll pay the dollar-a-mile that I was quoted to haul it out.

I have to give credit to PD and the rest of the organizers for setting up such long runs, and even more credit for the people who are willing to actually run their cars. The crew that made the long, long run was out there for 6 hours or so. Many people here drove at least that long to get the cars out to Vegas. Not many garage queens out here, but all the machinery looks really well maintained and cared for.

If you can, get this event on your to-do list for next year, and if you're interested in caravanning out next year contact me and we'll start laying groundwork.

I'm flying back today, see you all Saturday for the Poker Run.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Drive it!

16. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.

Need a co-driver? I have plenty of experience in cross-country trips. Let me know. ;)

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I think you made it up just to impress us. We need a VIN.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Ask Carbon. He's the one that allegedly had a run in with hotel security while shooting VIN pics of the cars at oh-god:30 AM. At least, that's the rumor :D

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Tell her I said hello ;)

Why you always gota be in the pic with her? :eek: Then I can't put them on my desktop! DUH :p :D

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There were maybe a few more, but there were 44 documented Ferraris. In addition there were 15-20 other exotics including Lamborghinis, Vipers, and Porsche.

410 SA

(4) F40's
    Enzo

(2) 328's
    (3) 348's
    (7) 355's
    (14) 360's

(2) TR's
    (3) 550's
    (1) 575

Mondial
    (3) 456's

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #47 ryalex, Apr 25, 2005
    Friday AM, we were coming back from the first drive of the event (I was in a Diablo 6.0), and when we got back to the Strip we were being pretty good and not raising Cain like we did on the way to Cascata. We didn't know that a few minutes before there was a few 360's and a certain F40LM ;) that were peeling out from each green and revving high. We were pulling into the Paris hotel leading another 360, F40 and the 275, and all of the sudden two bicycle cops come huffing and puffing up and pull a sliding BMX stop in front of our cars.

"STOP YOUR CARS! STOP YOUR CAR!"

He grabs the window sill of the Diablo and yells at us, "WE HEAR YOUR LOUD ENGINES RACING DOWN THE BOULEVARD! WE WILL TOW YOUR CARS! NOBODY DOES THAT ON MY STREET, blah blah, etc." The driver of the car I was in shot back, "Hey, there is over 70 cars here for the event, don't think we are all being a**holes... there are a lot of different people here." "I know," says the rebuked officer, and he said that they were looking for us and we had to take it easy. They yipped at the other cars and let us go.

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I wasn't counting the modern stuff (bunches), but there were 2 308s (the red one that was owned by Gary who also had the Jalpa and the maroon one I rode in Saturday), 3 328s (red, blue, white), and 2 Mondials (Thor's red coupe from Utah, and JetX's black convertible). I was only really focused on the classics -- like the 4(!) F-40s :D

24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #49 ryalex, Apr 25, 2005
  25. ryalex

Consultant Owner