the Breadvan is a real Ferrari ! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

the Breadvan is a real Ferrari !

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by etienne, Apr 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was JUST published, let it get thru distribution!!

There is only one Breadvan.......

2. E40racer

E40racer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2008
    Belgium
  3. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    #28 AlfettaGTV, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    Ok, Thanks.

Yes only one REAL Ferrari Breadvan.

Some years a go (1998!!) I built a web site devoted to Bizzarrini and his cars. www.bizzarriniregister.com, (still working but not updated since 2005, sorry, may be one of these days....big plans but no time....). Those times, information about Bizzarrini was a bit scarce, even in Internet, so contacting owners was a great help to try to build up a register of cars and survivors.

I contacted with the Breadvan owner then, Mr. Monte Shalett, a nice guy, and he send me some great info and pictures about the restoration.

The "breadvan body" mounted on ISO Rivota chassis is a bit ugly and disproportioned copy/fake/kit car/recreation... name it as you want. Does not have any connection with the 2819GT and I was told is or was barely related with one person, "He Who Cannot Be Named" in this forum, but I'm not sure.

Car was for sale several times in some mags and web sites and asking price was around 20,000 euros.

Some pics (from eBay, I don't know is they are copyright protected....):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pictures are very old, and today the car aspect was refined to resemble more accurately the 2819GT profile.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojocence/3655357866/in/photostream/

Regards, Alvaro

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I know that. I was referring to the "as new" question.

Villa d'Este this year?

5. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    not coppa Gallenga

28/3/65 criterium di Roma, Gallenga-Vermicino-Rocca di Papa
    Edgardo Mungo/250 GT Berlinetta "Breadvan" 2819GT. n° 482. 9em.

6. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    I'm puzzled by the picture on the cover of the book...the Breadvan is way too small compared to the guy standing in the back. the roof is lower than his waist...it is a "photo-shopped" picture I guess...

7. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    if you look at the earlier picture in the workshops of Maranello and at the casa di Fiorano, the roof line does not even make it to the level of the door handle.

I also measure the picture i posted - at the highest point (top of windscreen) the car in the picture measures 7cm - a 15 inch rim measures 2.5cm, so 7/2.5=2.8 ratio multiply by 15 inches = car height 42 inches - i know this is very approximate and does not account for camera angles etc - but it gives you the idea. This is a very low car, much lower than a GTO.

8. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    #33 etienne, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    totally agree ! I've also made the same measure ! I saw the car, and can confirm that she's very very low

You can find this picture in the Cavallino issue # 135...the boy in front gives an idea of the height..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    #34 Athanase, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    From memory,
    GTO 62/63 height: 120cm
    Breadvan height:113cm

10. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #36 275GTB, Apr 15, 2010
  11. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    When I talked with Marc at Le Mans Classic, he showed me this picture. Now I'm not sure to remember exactly, and maybe he can correct me, but it seem he said that this young boy was latter identified as Jean Rondeau (1946 - 1985), builder and winner with Jean Pierre Jaussaud at Le Mans 1980.
    But J. Rondeau is born in 1946, so is 16 years old in 1962 ... not so great for a boy of 16 years ...

12. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    The photo with Jean Rondeau is in "Ferrari au Mans" p 56,in front of #57 SWB in 1961.

13. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I remember the Breadvan having a noticeably lower roofline than the GTO and markedly less legroom, too, thanks to the engine being moved even further back on the chassis.

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    This may be a really dumb question, but I've never seen any pics of 2819GT with its original SWB body (if indeed it did have one and wasn't only a chassis). Do such pictures exist?

Onno

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    2819 GT was born as a regular SWB Berlinetta. Plenty of pix with the original body in the new "Rebel, Rebel" book of Marc Sonnery.

Marcel Massini

16. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    #42 etienne, Apr 16, 2010
    Cavallino # 135

17. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    Back in 1962, that shape got lots of jaws dropping.
    Mr. Bizzarrini always was a couple of steps in front of the rest.

Salute

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi go to motorbooks i n the UK. I just ordered mine yesterday. just one man's opinion tongascrew

19. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    I'll do.
    Thanks a lot!

20. DJ Dirk

DJ Dirk Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2002
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dirk de Jager
    yes, Iso Rivolta

this car is (or whas?) in Belgium

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #47 velocetwo, Apr 19, 2010
    Yes it was built on Rivolta chassis, but Iso never built this car.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #48 Nembo1777, Apr 21, 2010
    Hello all:

Perhaps the delay in the book coming out was due to me not being smart enough to figure out the red and orange dials on this strange oven?! No the reality is that it took a year after completion to get it printed. That is how publishing can be but I am very thankful to my publisher Tim Parker.

Sorry to not have posted before was traveling without laptop and with only a dumbphone and had to take care of my mom in hospital. Nothing serious but her crankiness made sure any ego increase due to the book being out was soundly wiped out:).

Anyway it was a very special day to hold my first book in my hands, particularly since I finished another book with four times more text in April of...2008 but my co author still has not finished it. I have certainly had to learn patience.

Anyway I was very happy with the way it came out.

Thank you very much for the kind words, particularly to Marcel who got the only spare copy I had in Essen. I am honored by your words Marcel I mean that!

The role of keith Bluemel should not be underestimated, despite being extremely busy he contributed a significant part of the book to his usual high standards.

Regarding the book availabilty as someone said having been printed in Hong Kong they are in a ship right now and should be at the distributors (one in the Uk and one in the US) May first.

I will not have any stock other than a handfull of copies I will hang on to. If you really want my God awful signature then bring your copy to Le Mans Classic and I will gladly oblige.

Classic & Sports car has already reviewed it, their comments will be in an upcoming issue it sounded good but fingers crossed and Veloce today will have a report out later...today.

All those who saw the book in Essen liked it and that includes the bookshops so that was a relief.

I will have the only copy I have right now at the circuit de Bresse tomorrow for the Tour Auto and at the Monaco Historic GP.

Anyway thanks again for the kind words!

best regards,

Marc

PS: The third photo: after posting one of a fat Frenchman I thought you would excuse me if I posted one of a skinny German girl:)

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Congrats!

I look forward to reading it!!!!

24. Nembo1777